Harmfulness of Facebook: Does Facebook do more harm than good?

• Facebook is a harmful drug

Social media has democratised fame , giving ordinary people access to the very same feelings of stardom and adulation experienced by celebrities albeit in a virtual context and on a much smaller scale. Facebook knows this and is able to profit from this incessant desire to be liked and admired by others. The social dynamics are no different to school where children make tacit agreements with one another to gain . You like me , ill like you back, you increase my popularity, ill increase yours. The desire for social validation is the very lifeblood for sites such as Facebook, and many of its users are now heavily addicted to the dopamine highs and rushes of instant gratification they receive from superficial likes and comments. A desire for social validation is now one of the most powerful and addictive drugs in society, as more and more people find themselves unable to resist the allure of popularity that sites like Facebook provide.

• It's ANTI Social Media

Facebook is creating a generation of narcissistic people who have little to no inter personal skills. People are so obsessed with being liked that they try to portray a "Perfect Profile" of themselves which is in no way a reflection of their lives. Who posts "This is me 1st thing in the morning". All they do is seek approval from a crowd of self aggrandizing people who all think or want to be someone when what the world needs is people to start focusing on being decent moral human beings!

• Endless propagation of misinformation

The problem with Facebook is that anyone can put up any information they want, true or untrue, and it explodes on the network and becomes a movement. Today I saw petitions to fine a zoo for shooting a gorilla that was about to kill a 3 year old boy. Without actually seeing the terrifying video of this young boy being tossed around like a rag doll, people began to support this movement against the zoo workers who shot the gorilla. They saw something on Facebook and without the slightest bit of research, indeed without even looking any further into the matter at all, began to protest the zoo who doubtless saved this little boy's life. I see this kind of thing over and over and over again. I'm embarrassed to admit that I've been guilty of it myself. Because of this endless propagation of misinformation, I have come to believe that Facebook does more harm than good and have decided to quit using it permanently.

• Facebook is a thief of time

We only have a finite amount of time on earth. We need to spend it wisely and spending hours every day staring at a screen reading about others instead of maintaining personal relationships is not healthy for mind or body. Even families can't enjoy each other at the dinner table with each having their nose in their device of choice,

• Facebook causes people to lie

People lie so much on Facebook it is unbelievable. People pretend their lives are so good yet they aren't and people have become so shallow.
    Posting pictures of food they are eating, the cat, dog or selfies.

People who are on Facebook have low IQs if you ask me. Thanks

• Facebook is not a social media where anyone should be bullied

A numerous amount of people commit suicide every day. Facebook needs to start being a more friendly media site where you can talk to friends and family you rarely see, share photos with friends without going viral and just to have a laugh. And I'm not talking about the type of laugh you bullies get when you harass someone... Think about the consequences that will occur once you type an inappropriate and un-necessary message and hit send...

• Harmful and destructive

It promotes too much liberal inaccurate information. People are gullible and believe the bs. Has caused lots of phony relationships based on lies. Has contributed to the breakup of many good relationships. Has wasted many a students time because they are addicted to it
    It is 95% garbage. Stay away.

• Time Waste and a Danger

Facebook is addictive alike any other social media networks of today. Teens spend hours every day on it when they could be making good of their lives. If they spent 4 hours doing a sport or instrument that they loved instead of social media they could probably be the top of whatever they do, not just have 500+ followers on a media website. It's also dangerous because of hate pages, inappropriate material, and etc.

• Way of Communication

Facebook is a good way of communicating, if used properly. A lot of people meet each other through Facebook as an icebreaker. Friendships are made and maybe sometimes even relationships. I met my current boyfriend at his job and began talking through Facebook. We're actually a strong relationship. Thanks Facebook.

• No, Facebook can help support businesses

Facebook can't always be about posting random selfies or wasting a bunch of time. Facebook can also be used to advertise business and can also be used for educational purposes like Edmodo. And some people on the yes side say something about cyber bullying, this is a problem that can be easily solved on Facebook, either tolerate and report them or just go ahead and block them or unfriend them.

• No, Facebook allows us to share the human experience.

No, Facebook does not do more harm than good, because Facebook allows people to share love, laughter, hope, and other positive things. Facebook allows old friends to connect that would lose touch if they had to communicate by written letter. Although there are some harmful aspects of Facebook, there are many positive things that happen on Facebook that help people connect.