Harmfulness of Facebook: Is Facebook a waste of time?

• People that use Facebook are somewhat hollow and shallow.

People wind up spending so much time on Facebook because they do not have a career, hobbies, goals, and a real life of meeting people and socializing in a normal manner. Many do not work out, get fat sitting, and don't play sports. Facebook tires the mind and creates "WEB of LIES," such as portrayed on ID TV that creates murders and heartaches over misunderstandings and miscommunications.

• Too many biased and poorly educated sources of information.

Facebook is now largely comprised of advertising content and pseudo-news articles that are completely NOT based in any form of balanced factual evidence. Aside from that, the majority of people posting are from very uneducated and impoverished socio-economic conditions. Many of the opinions voiced seem to be radical and/or extremist. The social and communal aspect of Facebook has vanished and we are now left with ego driven vitriol which further alienates individuals and destroy diversity.

• Yes it is!

I used it ( rather, I was on it, because a project I was working on required me to have a Facebook account ) for a year. Initially I made contacts with a few people I had lost touch with. Well and good. I started spending about 10 minutes on the site every day, reading posts, looking at pictures, answering to the odd message. It was dull as ditchwater! I am not very outgoing, I admit, but I found nothing interesting to read. I stopped using it, but kept the account. After about a year, with all the information coming out about government spying, I closed the account. The only reason I sometimes wish I hadn't is because I cannot spy on my son any more, but I think that is a good thing. I think the site promotes some unhealthy appetites among humans.

• Yes Facebook is a waste of time.

Facebook is an utter waste of time. Although it is good to kill some free time you might have in certain cases, so many people throw hours away into playing the games and catching up online with people they could go see in person. If people would put their screens down for one minute and have some real social interactions they would see how much facebook eats away at life.

• Facebook is a HUGE waste of time

Social networking has sucked the productivity out of the free world. On top of networking at work, people interact after work; it is an excuse to actively do nothing. Children have no filters on what they are exposed to; privacy is a thing of the past; police agencies monitor it; scam artists monitor it; it is the source of every malware or virus I’ve ever caught; it destroys relationships and marriages; it has been the major contributor to the accelerated social decay of America over the last ten years. Facebook is the creation of a fool and has succeeded through people’s narrow minded foolishness.

• Social networking is a tool that can be used for a variety of purposes

Social networking sites, such as Facebook, are double-edged swords. What makes them good or bad is how people use them. Facebook can be used productively as well, such as for discussing serious matters, progressing social causes or even finding long lost friends. At the same time, it can be used poorly such as constantly posting selfies, playing games and maintaining shallow relationships with people who you don't really know.

I, myself, have used Facebook to discuss scholarly projects and family matters, saving air time on my mobile phone.