Has American intervention in Iraq done more harm than good?

• Yes I agree.

I completely agree with the debate going on here. US ishould not have intervened in the middle east Iraq crisis, as it wasnt their job to do so. I see that there are only a few points said for that US should have intervened in the middle east iraq crisis.

• Yes I agree.

• Our intervention unleashed revolution mass death, brought foreign fighters, removed a counterweight to Iran and obviated the chance for peaceful Iraqi self-determination for foreseeable future.

From https://www.iraqbodycount.org/ 191,000 direct civilian deaths
    from Lancet in 2006, additional 654,965 (392,979–942,636) deaths from death rates greater than pre-war death rates in Iraq - indirect deaths
    There is a new Caliphate declared in Iraq and a new civil war combined with Syria's
    Iraq may split into its various parts with unknown effects to the balance of power.
    Our treasure and lives lost in the war and attention devoted to Iraq represent a huge opportunity cost. What good might have been accomplished if we did not spin our wheels in Iraq?

• History has given its verdict. US Intervention permanently destroyed Iraq and the prospect of a peaceful Middle East

Before the US Intervention, religious (Sunni-Shia) and ethnic sectarianism (Arab-Kurdish) existed in Iraq. But these were kept under a lid and people of all backgrounds used to mingle with each other without any overt problems. US intervention permanently lifted this lid and now the whole region including Syria and Lebanon is now involved in a tug of sectarian war with no end in sight. All of the forces are now involved in a zero-sum game with powerful backers (Iran, KSA, Qatar, UAE, Turkey, Pakistan and even USA) on their side. The promise of democracy and equal human rights are now left in dust with a country in turmoil and extremist organizations ruling their respective backyards. The fall of Mosul and the rapid advances made by ISIS have left the Iraqi Army in tatters and all the signs show that this will only increase the power and authority of local militias. All of this happened because US got involved in a conflict for which it had no moral and flawed legal justification. Hundreds and thousands of Iraqi lives lost and more than a trillion dollars spent and all for naught. Dont get me wrong, I believe US should get involve in wars where necessary. Getting involved in Kosovo and Libya was the right thing to do; similarly we should have got involved in Syria during the early days of civil war when there were no extremist forces involved. I also believe we should have finished the job in the First Gulf War. However Second Gulf War was not only a case of wrong judgement, its origins lie in a blatant lie. People who got involved US in this war by lying to the US public and the whole world should be prosecuted. This intervention weakened the US and now it is in a weaker position to exert its influence than it was in 2003. P.S. I failed to mention that both Shias and Sunni population post-intervention has a very very low perception of USA. Only the Kurds have a positive perception of US and that is also for all other reason.

• Not good at all

It has obviously done more harm than good.It was an intervention for its own interest . Saddam was ready to trade in euro for oil instead of dollar.This was conflicting with the interests of US.All the reason given by America proved to be false and could really justify its reason for intervention.US went to Iraq for its own reason .The situation there has worsen for a fact and cannot be denied.Same crimes against humanity are being committed except than not the Iraqi government does not infere with the interest of us

• Spreading democracy to the world by destroying dictatorship,socialism and small state communist countries

The Americans wanted to spread democracy to Iraq.That's why they sent troops to Iraq. And by the way Americans were targeting to the middle east countries and African countries because they want oil for their country.Mean while the soviets or Russians were spreading communism to the world the American's wanted to spread democracy.So the American's targeted dictatorship countries,socialism countries and small communist state countries.So Iraq was a dictatorship country.So the Americans targeted Iraq . So this conflict is related to that. So the Americans has no right to intervention and spreading democracy to Iraq.

• Human rights crime in Iraq

It was an intervention of a sovereign country. If democracy is lack in somewhere else in the of it is not business of America to constitute systems in favor of its interests. There had been many crimes by US army in Iraq which are against human rights. America is not the judge of the world. According to principles of international law and also international human rights law, America must get out of the business of sovereign countries such as Afghanistan now. America is the biggest criminal in the terms of human rights and american people are also guilty because of supporting all these crimes by selecting junior Bush for two times as a president. Everyone who supports all these crimes is responsible for each drop of tear and blood that shed anywhere else in the world!

• We caused bad things

The U.S. has not done very much for the Middle East. The only things we have done are cause trouble and harm them, and we have refused to stop. We need to honor them and leave, we can still monitor them and see that they do not get a nuclear weapon. We do not have to be there causing harm.

• Yes

I feel that the life loss of not only american troops and civilians is to much. Why is this not over and done with, some much pain has been felt on both sides. Also why do we always gotta control and get involved with everthing. The intervention of america in Iraq has done more harm than good I believe.

• Yes, American intervention is wrong

American intervention in the middle east has wasted a ton of money, and time that could have been spent on building the middle east. If we would stop stealing from the middle east, there would be more money for everyone, and less murder. Overall I think we should withdraw from the middle east all together.

• We have allowed operation international kids to commence

If it weren't for the u.s. That wouldn't have happened. And all points about how hard it is on the families....I don't want to hear it....Cause I know it first hand. The government paid them minimal to go strap bombs to themselves!!!!! Obviously the u.s. Needed to step in and stop the bomb- strapping and citizen abuse. Saddah has been compared to hitler!!!!!!! Do ur research please!!!!!!!!

• No, Iraq was a threat.

No, American intervention in Iraq has not done more harm than good, because there were many threats in Iraq that the United States did a good job addressing. Leadership in Iraq committed many atrocities against there own people. The U.S. actions in Iraq were important to addressing the humanitarian crisis, if nothing else.

• American Intervention in Iraq has done more good than harm.

United States of America's illegal intervention into Iraq has definitely done more good because the policies which have been implemented post-intervention have helped the local people/citizens tremendously. Overnight. The eight years since the ouster of Saddam Hussein have been traumatic both to Iraqis and Americans. But at the same time, the shared experience has built relationships and sympathies between the two populations that run deep. Even Americans who lament the U.S. Intervention in Iraq must realize that their country made a large investment there and that there are benefits to some sort of ongoing relationship.

• Not really.

It can obviously be argued both ways. The Middle East is broken, and we're trying to fix it. Is it our job? Not really. Should we leave and focus on getting our oil from home? Yes. But as far as what we've done in Iraq, I should hope the positives outweigh the negatives. If anything, it has drawn attention to the situation.