• Education has changed for the worst

The U.S. seems to think It's a smart idea to compete with other Countries, such as Japan. The amount of pressure put onto young students today is unbelievable. Kids don't get to have fun anymore, because they need to pass yet another test or do 10 more pages of homework. What happened to those kids who want to be plumbers? Or girls that want to work with hair? Why does school nowadays try to force specific areas onto children, such as math? This needs to stop, NOW!

• Education needs a lot of work

I believe that the quality of education in the United States has dramatically declined over the course of the past decade. I think that budget cuts have forced teachers and the U.S. education system to "make due" with what's available as opposed to investing in gathering the best materials possible to teach our kids.

• Yes, the education changed for the worst.

You see, it isn't just rich students that sometimes want to benefit from small class sizes and direct interaction with a professor and not some 21 year old TA who just finished college last year. Sometimes poor students also want the opportunity to be more than a social security number. Sometimes they want to learn from someone who actually works in the field for which they are training. Sometimes students who don’t have a car and can’t afford to leave home want the same chance to earn a degree as the kid who gets to live in one of those fancy dorms with private bathrooms and climbing walls in the basement or drive mom’s car to and from campus every day. Sometimes students want to be able to put food on the table, earn a credential, and be there to read stories and tuck their kids into bed at night. Poor students have the same dreams for their own kids as their wealthier peers, and, like you, they know that being there, in the home, even if tucked away in a quiet corner working on their computer, is better for their kids than leaving them unattended to run off to night college.

• Today's education system is nothing but a social expierentment

I am a senior in high school and as much as I enjoy school and learning, the education is failing me. For example, I have an anatomy and physiology class that I am enrolled in, I've only had the class for 8 weeks so far and I have learned a lot of new information. Yet I have a D in the class. Another example is what I am going to college for has not been taught to me in high school. High school is supposed to prepare you for college and the real world and all it is doing is holding me back from what I want to become. It is lowering my grade point average and making me look stupid even though I am learning. All high school does is let us socialize with peers.

• It's executed poorly.

The people in charge of the education system, Government or otherwise, have very little, if any idea on how things work in a classroom setting and it causes an effect where decisions are poorly made and executed. The people in charge think that if they push the work on students and tell them what to do, then they'll listen. I know, I am a senior in high school, and one that is described as highly intelligent at that. In reality, telling us what to do only makes us want to do it even less, and even more so that we don't get anything out of it. Punishments are a joke too, if a kid decides that they want to goof and break the rules, then nothing happens to them, but a good student messes up ONCE for anything, even minor, and they are punished with the highest degree and nobody wants to change this.
    Also, what's the point of learning 20 different hings in school going to do? They all say to "Make a well rounded individual", but really it's just to A) get more money from the Gov't. B) To look like they are trying. And C) to exercise their authority. The brainwashing too, schools try harder to indoctrinate students into their belief systems, whatever they may be, than to teach them anything useful. An example being how they want kids to swallow college as the one and only thing that will take them through life, which is a complete lie.

To fix this, what needs to be done is to A) give students something to value, 'cause a good grade or an 'education' is full of crap and many of us know this. B) Fix punishments, I shouldn't get 2 weeks for defending myself in a fight. C) Teach the basics, then let the students go into classes bent more to their future careers. D) Stop theindoctrination, work on actual skills.

• Here in the UK too.

In the UK the academies are only interested if they think your kids are bookworms that have no other attributes. There are much greater things in life than exams. This US model has been imported and forced onto the UK population. We get phone calls for the most pathetic of reasons..... Roll on leaving day.

• Spoon Fed Material

There is a certain curriculum that teachers must follow and this creates are robotic system in the classroom. In my district one of our teachers was forced to resign because of his unorthodox teaching style. However the only thing he was doing differently was letting us make mistakes instead of spoon feeding ever single thing. Although i think the issue stems mostly in America compared with other countries

• Teachers aren't monitored properly in public schools and teaching is poor in some cases.

I once had a tech teacher who would call me and my classmates names and consistently put us down because we would make mistakes, even know making mistakes is part of learning. The head teacher did not care about any pupils and only cared about the reputation of the school. There was a lot of young teachers with no experience who had just finished college/university who were clearly not fit for teaching yet. There are also a lot of teachers who are very biased towards certain pupils too, especially girls. This shows that these teachers are not doing their jobs properly and don't realise the importance of education

• How they do math is bad for kids learning

They made it a lot harder because they put Pearson in and they now give homework to kindergartners which is just wrong if you want them to learn don't give them homework there supposed to have fun at that age but if they have homework they can't have any fun

• Quality over quantity?

I am a sophomore in high school and I do believe that education in general is muddled in so many issues. It seems that it prefers quantity over quality, as to reflect that they are doing "better" quantity wise but students are lacking so many basic skills which is truly grave. I do also believe that the idea of standardized education has also affected the way that students incubate and cultivate, harnessing their potential. Standardizing things have limited the potential of so many people who are talented in many different fields, other than math and science, which the world seems to be shifting it's focus to. Although I love both fields, I believe that their focus is also shifted, with an iron rule and law which people have to follow or they'll otherwise fail. As a person who believes that quality is better than quantity, I believe that education have failed me and my classmates who are although failing, are true geniuses. It angers me the value that the U.S education upholds to and it sadness me that this will take a lot of time to change with recent movements and groups who are trying to innovate and change the way that education works today.

• World Standard Higher

The US educational system has not really decreased, however the global standards of education have increased. So the US appears stupider, not because of worse education, but because of high standards. As other countries have increased their educational standards, the US has remained the same, but that does not mean the US education has gotten worse. Merely the opposition is often superior.

• Education System Still Fixable

Education is only at its worst when the system completely fails. Like it or not, public schools are here to stay. Local tax levies need to be increased to give our kids better public schools, better facilities and higher-paid teachers. Schools haven't failed our kids. Parents have failed our kids. Fathers who won't take responsibility for being a dad and abandon their women are more of a problem for kids than their teachers. Education begins at home.