• Yes, there is too much censorship and control over speech.

One cannot use the pretense of freedom of thought if inquiry is not permissible.

And further, there exists no intellectual honesty without the right to dissent.

People should be able to say what they want even if you don't like it. People are entitled to any opinion, even the "wrong" opinion. It's true that some people are hateful, but even if I don't like it I don't have a right to control them.

But what's worse, good people are silenced. Brilliant people are silenced. Too many people are silenced because their words challenge others and that is inconvenient for them. Freedom of speech matters more than someone's hurt feelings.

• E x a c t l y

It seems as though a great many political groups on both sides of the spectrum- the right wing christian kooks (like Rick Santorum), the left wing feminists (like Dianne Feinstein)- seem to support the notion of "Your rights end where my feelings begin". That sort of thinking s dangerous, and putting people who hold those views in public office is a good way to destroy democracy.

• Yes it really has.

When I think of how politicians and other public speakers talk today when they have something to say, it really does drive home the point that we as a society in general have become far too politically correct. We can no longer speak our minds in plain terms any more.

• Loss of freedoms.

Back in the times of our grandparents, they had the freedom of speech. Somewhere since then we have lost our fundamental right to freedom of speech. People are unable to express their thoughts and feelings because they do not want to offend others. Instead of calling our mail delivery person a postman, we now have to call them our post person. This is so that if a woman does the job, she does not get offended. I am a woman and do not get offended if someone says "hey dude" when speaking to me. People need to lighten up a little bit more and focus on much more pressing issues than what is politically correct or not.

• YES - Oh yes.

I am always trying to speak my views on facebook, not to convince people that I am right, but to make people realize there are more than just 2 options! I get hateful comments from people calling me an idiot who are actually being hypocrites themselves in multiple ways. They have admitted they are sociallists to me and they support global health care and wage balancing ect. They believe in BIG government and they believe almost everything they read and see on tv it seems like. I feel like with every other person I talk to I have to explain things as if I was talking to a child. Continually having to repeat the same points in different ways, explain basic ideas in great detail, correct grammar and misspellings, also misuse of words. I'm not saying that my grammar is perfect, but when someone is using text speak, I feel they don't know how to spell. I even had a few people spell my name wrong continuously. Even though it's written by every comment. I'd really like to leave the US..

• Fear of reprisal stifles debate.

In our society today, good people with differing views are not expressing themselves for fear of being called out as racist, bigoted or unintelligent. If people would return to logic based discussion, rather than insults and name calling based on ones views, perhaps we could return to a functioning system, both politically and socially.

• Too soft on Muslims

I think in the wake of the manchester terror attack. Mosques should be banned. They clearly can't police themselves. But it won't happen because we are far too worried about upsetting Muslims. They upset me when they kill innocent children. We welcome them here and thus is how they repay us.

• Definitely the truth

Political correctness was initially a term that had a good intention which was to not offend anyone or any particular group. However, since the early 90's, people began to apply it to every part of life and soon, everyone becomes the most thin-skinned person. As a person who hails from SouthEast Asia's America, Singapore, I can tell you that political correctness has gone too far. But yet, what is an even bigger problem is this, Political correctness is supposed to be only applied to politicians. So, what made us think that we all have to be as careful with our words as politicians?

• Obama, why did you have to mess everything up?

Women can say that they're better than men. And if anyone tries to go the other way, they're instantly put down, labeled as sexist. 9 out of 10 men that report that they were sexually assaulted are laughed off. Almost all women who report sexual assault are taken seriously and their case is investigated, and even sometimes, they use this power to falsely accuse men of rape and send the innocent to jail.

Black people can say how awful white people are. And if anyone tries to go the other way, they're instantly put down, labeled as racist. If a white criminal is shot and killed, it is justice. If a black criminal is shot and killed, it is racist. You know what, what are the police even here for? We should just let criminals rampage around the city and we'll see how it goes, if the liberals will change their minds.

People are becoming overly sensitive. Feelings are not rights. Freedom is not the freedom to force others to believe and follow your ways, like with feminists. You say one thing against women, i.e. "It shouldn't be the government's responsibility to pay for the carelessness of a woman's sexual choices" and a feminist can twist it around to make you seem like a woman hater and a male supremacist.

The best way to achieve equality is by not making a big deal out of everything and letting things be. They're more pressing matters now than political correctness. President Trump, please make America Great Again.
    And btw, I'm not white or male.

• Obama, you messed everything up.

And btw, I'm not white or male.

• Let's just all be good people?

Hey, how about instead of complaining about how "irritating" it is that you can't be an asshole anymore, you just.... NOT be an asshole? Everyone wins, badabing badaboom. Sorry you don't get to bash all Muslims or persons of color or homosexuals or women openly anymore. Well actually, I'm not sorry. Move on with your lives and quit being assholes about our generation not wanting to be assholes anymore.

• Nope. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.

What we are seeing is not 'PC run amok' it's "why are people calling me out for being a jerk/racist/sexist/bigot/etc" People think their freedom of speech means they cannot be called out or criticized for such speech, which is of course absolute nonsense.

What you see from a lot of the 'yes' camp is well, they don't like that minorities and others can call them out, as they couldn't do that in the old days. My advice? Deal with it, and maybe if you weren't being a racist, sexist, etc, people wouldn't tell you that you are.

• We aren't politically correct.

No, when you think of being politically correct, you think of Fahrenheit 451 where the people don't know about anything in their society. They think everything is nice and dandy while they are in the middle of a war in which 10 million of their people are involved in. People cant think for themselves. I will admit that our government loves to stretch the truth but at least we can think of things for ourselves.

• We aren't politically correct.

• Of course not!

No, society has not become "too politically correct." Maybe the problem is that in the past, we weren't politically correct enough. Even if you have freedom of speech, that doesn't mean that you should use sexist and misogynistic stereotypes. "Political correctness" isn't a bad thing, it is the way that we should speak.

• Plenty of Politically Incorrect People

There are plenty of politically incorrect facets of our society. Just look at Don Imus, who still happens to be working even though he called an entire women's basketball team a bunch of "nappy hoes." Paula Deen's career on television was ruined because someone thought she was racist. Our society isn't politically correct--the KKK still exists.

• Freedom of Speech is not Freedom from Consequence

You are still free to say or do what you want, but like all of your actions you should expect consequences as a result. Others have the RIGHT and the freedom to criticize you for your beliefs/words/actions.

Freedom of speech =/= freedom from consequence.
    Freedom of speech =/= freedom from criticism.

• We have not.

I think that the term political correctness and all of its variations has been given a bad rap. I think that being PC, so to speak, it really just being polite to people. Not saying offensive things really is not a bad thing, so I think we should strive to be more PC.