• Yes, there is too much censorship and control over speech.

One cannot use the pretense of freedom of thought if inquiry is not permissible.

And further, there exists no intellectual honesty without the right to dissent.

People should be able to say what they want even if you don't like it. People are entitled to any opinion, even the "wrong" opinion. It's true that some people are hateful, but even if I don't like it I don't have a right to control them.

But what's worse, good people are silenced. Brilliant people are silenced. Too many people are silenced because their words challenge others and that is inconvenient for them. Freedom of speech matters more than someone's hurt feelings.

• E x a c t l y

It seems as though a great many political groups on both sides of the spectrum- the right wing christian kooks (like Rick Santorum), the left wing feminists (like Dianne Feinstein)- seem to support the notion of "Your rights end where my feelings begin". That sort of thinking s dangerous, and putting people who hold those views in public office is a good way to destroy democracy.

• Yes it really has.

When I think of how politicians and other public speakers talk today when they have something to say, it really does drive home the point that we as a society in general have become far too politically correct. We can no longer speak our minds in plain terms any more.

• Loss of freedoms.

Back in the times of our grandparents, they had the freedom of speech. Somewhere since then we have lost our fundamental right to freedom of speech. People are unable to express their thoughts and feelings because they do not want to offend others. Instead of calling our mail delivery person a postman, we now have to call them our post person. This is so that if a woman does the job, she does not get offended. I am a woman and do not get offended if someone says "hey dude" when speaking to me. People need to lighten up a little bit more and focus on much more pressing issues than what is politically correct or not.

• YES - Oh yes.

I am always trying to speak my views on facebook, not to convince people that I am right, but to make people realize there are more than just 2 options! I get hateful comments from people calling me an idiot who are actually being hypocrites themselves in multiple ways. They have admitted they are sociallists to me and they support global health care and wage balancing ect. They believe in BIG government and they believe almost everything they read and see on tv it seems like. I feel like with every other person I talk to I have to explain things as if I was talking to a child. Continually having to repeat the same points in different ways, explain basic ideas in great detail, correct grammar and misspellings, also misuse of words. I'm not saying that my grammar is perfect, but when someone is using text speak, I feel they don't know how to spell. I even had a few people spell my name wrong continuously. Even though it's written by every comment. I'd really like to leave the US..

• Fear of reprisal stifles debate.

In our society today, good people with differing views are not expressing themselves for fear of being called out as racist, bigoted or unintelligent. If people would return to logic based discussion, rather than insults and name calling based on ones views, perhaps we could return to a functioning system, both politically and socially.

• More speech, not less

It seems that conservative exploit pseudo-liberal censorship to get people to feel sorry for them, but, they are not championing fo free speech when ti comes to dissent against their views .Bothe republicans, tea party and independent as well as demo publicans and other fake liberals are pro-censorship.Demopublicsn don;t believe in debating bigots l like they did when they were half-baked liberal Democrats .Bill Clinton started this, possibly cause he might be overly sensitive.It was Eleanor Roosevelt who stated in 47 talks to the Buster .Overly sensitive are in both parties and none.It' as normal as near flat vision.Like the latter, there is a cure.A normal person takes dissent criticism.If they feel that it's wrong then they use their speech against speech Overly sensitive should not be allowed in politics or run the government, unless they seek treatment .They hurt and alienate the evenly sensitive populace.

• Yes it has unfortunately

I come from another country and always heard how free America is and that there was freedom of speech. Instead, what I've found is that people here are scared to express their opinions unless it is aligned with the mainstreem. Today, in America the most accepted form of thinking is very liberal (e.G. Favors gays, women, ethnicities, etc you get the picture).

What's more, I go to university here and what I'm seeing is that my professors are scared to express (and let students) express ideas if those a ideas are not liberal.

It's as if the PC police gone rampant. Very sad to see this as the world always thought of the US as a safe place for all ideas. When I talk about too PC I don't mean that I want to intimidate or harass minorities, gays, ect. I just want to speak my mind but it is getting increasingly difficult to do so here.

Just an example: Today, I was out to lunch with a friend and as we were sitting and waiting for our foods we were discussing immigration and Muslims in particular. I happen to have the viewpoint that Muslim's are not incompatible with Wester culture and should not be let in. I make no appologies for that view, that's what I think, wether you like or not. I'm not gonna attack Muslims on the streets or what not, but this is what I think.

At any rate, my friend got really uncomfortable and instead of debating or discussing the idea, she tried to shut me up because she was scared what if someone will overhear it. To me that's messed up. I come from an ex-communist country and this kind of mentality and being scared reminds me of that era. I feel like America is losing freedom of speach and with it, it's biggest thinkers!

Now, it doesn't matter to me, I'm going home as soon as I've finished uni, but I thought I chime in because it would be really sad if the world lost America to the mind-controlling PC police. Please don't let that happen. Just my two cents.

• Too soft on Muslims

I think in the wake of the manchester terror attack. Mosques should be banned. They clearly can't police themselves. But it won't happen because we are far too worried about upsetting Muslims. They upset me when they kill innocent children. We welcome them here and thus is how they repay us.

• Definitely the truth

Political correctness was initially a term that had a good intention which was to not offend anyone or any particular group. However, since the early 90's, people began to apply it to every part of life and soon, everyone becomes the most thin-skinned person. As a person who hails from SouthEast Asia's America, Singapore, I can tell you that political correctness has gone too far. But yet, what is an even bigger problem is this, Political correctness is supposed to be only applied to politicians. So, what made us think that we all have to be as careful with our words as politicians?

• Let's just all be good people?

Hey, how about instead of complaining about how "irritating" it is that you can't be an asshole anymore, you just.... NOT be an asshole? Everyone wins, badabing badaboom. Sorry you don't get to bash all Muslims or persons of color or homosexuals or women openly anymore. Well actually, I'm not sorry. Move on with your lives and quit being assholes about our generation not wanting to be assholes anymore.

• Nope. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.

What we are seeing is not 'PC run amok' it's "why are people calling me out for being a jerk/racist/sexist/bigot/etc" People think their freedom of speech means they cannot be called out or criticized for such speech, which is of course absolute nonsense.

What you see from a lot of the 'yes' camp is well, they don't like that minorities and others can call them out, as they couldn't do that in the old days. My advice? Deal with it, and maybe if you weren't being a racist, sexist, etc, people wouldn't tell you that you are.

• We aren't politically correct.

No, when you think of being politically correct, you think of Fahrenheit 451 where the people don't know about anything in their society. They think everything is nice and dandy while they are in the middle of a war in which 10 million of their people are involved in. People cant think for themselves. I will admit that our government loves to stretch the truth but at least we can think of things for ourselves.

• We aren't politically correct.

• Of course not!

No, society has not become "too politically correct." Maybe the problem is that in the past, we weren't politically correct enough. Even if you have freedom of speech, that doesn't mean that you should use sexist and misogynistic stereotypes. "Political correctness" isn't a bad thing, it is the way that we should speak.

• Plenty of Politically Incorrect People

There are plenty of politically incorrect facets of our society. Just look at Don Imus, who still happens to be working even though he called an entire women's basketball team a bunch of "nappy hoes." Paula Deen's career on television was ruined because someone thought she was racist. Our society isn't politically correct--the KKK still exists.

• Freedom of Speech is not Freedom from Consequence

You are still free to say or do what you want, but like all of your actions you should expect consequences as a result. Others have the RIGHT and the freedom to criticize you for your beliefs/words/actions.

Freedom of speech =/= freedom from consequence.
    Freedom of speech =/= freedom from criticism.

• We have not.

I think that the term political correctness and all of its variations has been given a bad rap. I think that being PC, so to speak, it really just being polite to people. Not saying offensive things really is not a bad thing, so I think we should strive to be more PC.