• Yes, there is too much censorship and control over speech.

One cannot use the pretense of freedom of thought if inquiry is not permissible.

And further, there exists no intellectual honesty without the right to dissent.

People should be able to say what they want even if you don't like it. People are entitled to any opinion, even the "wrong" opinion. It's true that some people are hateful, but even if I don't like it I don't have a right to control them.

But what's worse, good people are silenced. Brilliant people are silenced. Too many people are silenced because their words challenge others and that is inconvenient for them. Freedom of speech matters more than someone's hurt feelings.

• E x a c t l y

It seems as though a great many political groups on both sides of the spectrum- the right wing christian kooks (like Rick Santorum), the left wing feminists (like Dianne Feinstein)- seem to support the notion of "Your rights end where my feelings begin". That sort of thinking s dangerous, and putting people who hold those views in public office is a good way to destroy democracy.

• Yes it really has.

When I think of how politicians and other public speakers talk today when they have something to say, it really does drive home the point that we as a society in general have become far too politically correct. We can no longer speak our minds in plain terms any more.

• Loss of freedoms.

Back in the times of our grandparents, they had the freedom of speech. Somewhere since then we have lost our fundamental right to freedom of speech. People are unable to express their thoughts and feelings because they do not want to offend others. Instead of calling our mail delivery person a postman, we now have to call them our post person. This is so that if a woman does the job, she does not get offended. I am a woman and do not get offended if someone says "hey dude" when speaking to me. People need to lighten up a little bit more and focus on much more pressing issues than what is politically correct or not.

• YES - Oh yes.

I am always trying to speak my views on facebook, not to convince people that I am right, but to make people realize there are more than just 2 options! I get hateful comments from people calling me an idiot who are actually being hypocrites themselves in multiple ways. They have admitted they are sociallists to me and they support global health care and wage balancing ect. They believe in BIG government and they believe almost everything they read and see on tv it seems like. I feel like with every other person I talk to I have to explain things as if I was talking to a child. Continually having to repeat the same points in different ways, explain basic ideas in great detail, correct grammar and misspellings, also misuse of words. I'm not saying that my grammar is perfect, but when someone is using text speak, I feel they don't know how to spell. I even had a few people spell my name wrong continuously. Even though it's written by every comment. I'd really like to leave the US..

• Fear of reprisal stifles debate.

In our society today, good people with differing views are not expressing themselves for fear of being called out as racist, bigoted or unintelligent. If people would return to logic based discussion, rather than insults and name calling based on ones views, perhaps we could return to a functioning system, both politically and socially.

• Time to come back to the real world

One wrong word and it's as if you torture babies for a living. If you can't handle the real world, then leave. Everyone on earth cannot cater to your delicate sensibilities. Get over yourselves and realize that there are a lot worse things that go on in the world besides political incorrectness.

• It is only correct for the sake of politics

Political correctness is basically not saying what you think to risk offence. You say what is non-offensive rather than what is true. Everyone knows the truth but nobody speaks it. For instance I am a feminist and I don't want women to be oppressed, but I am honest enough to admit that men and women are different, physically, mentally and emotionally, but I think treating them equally in the workforce allows us to have a balanced society. A politically correct opinion would deny the basic physical, mental and emotional differences to support equality in the workplace. PC is oppressive.

• Yes, a little bit.

Just as it isn't okay to go around randomly insulting people and groups without proper reason, it is also not okay to feel offended by every single thing anyone says that doesn't fit your personal view of the world. Respect is one thing, overboard sensitivity is another. People need to toughen up a bit and stop being so damn susceptible to every tiny non politically correct word. This coming from a sensitive gamer nerd who loves music and generally loves people...

• More speech, not less

It seems that conservative exploit pseudo-liberal censorship to get people to feel sorry for them, but, they are not championing fo free speech when ti comes to dissent against their views .Bothe republicans, tea party and independent as well as demo publicans and other fake liberals are pro-censorship.Demopublicsn don;t believe in debating bigots l like they did when they were half-baked liberal Democrats .Bill Clinton started this, possibly cause he might be overly sensitive.It was Eleanor Roosevelt who stated in 47 talks to the Buster .Overly sensitive are in both parties and none.It' as normal as near flat vision.Like the latter, there is a cure.A normal person takes dissent criticism.If they feel that it's wrong then they use their speech against speech Overly sensitive should not be allowed in politics or run the government, unless they seek treatment .They hurt and alienate the evenly sensitive populace.

• Let's just all be good people?

Hey, how about instead of complaining about how "irritating" it is that you can't be an asshole anymore, you just.... NOT be an asshole? Everyone wins, badabing badaboom. Sorry you don't get to bash all Muslims or persons of color or homosexuals or women openly anymore. Well actually, I'm not sorry. Move on with your lives and quit being assholes about our generation not wanting to be assholes anymore.

• Nope. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.

What we are seeing is not 'PC run amok' it's "why are people calling me out for being a jerk/racist/sexist/bigot/etc" People think their freedom of speech means they cannot be called out or criticized for such speech, which is of course absolute nonsense.

What you see from a lot of the 'yes' camp is well, they don't like that minorities and others can call them out, as they couldn't do that in the old days. My advice? Deal with it, and maybe if you weren't being a racist, sexist, etc, people wouldn't tell you that you are.

• We aren't politically correct.

No, when you think of being politically correct, you think of Fahrenheit 451 where the people don't know about anything in their society. They think everything is nice and dandy while they are in the middle of a war in which 10 million of their people are involved in. People cant think for themselves. I will admit that our government loves to stretch the truth but at least we can think of things for ourselves.

• We aren't politically correct.

• Of course not!

No, society has not become "too politically correct." Maybe the problem is that in the past, we weren't politically correct enough. Even if you have freedom of speech, that doesn't mean that you should use sexist and misogynistic stereotypes. "Political correctness" isn't a bad thing, it is the way that we should speak.

• Plenty of Politically Incorrect People

There are plenty of politically incorrect facets of our society. Just look at Don Imus, who still happens to be working even though he called an entire women's basketball team a bunch of "nappy hoes." Paula Deen's career on television was ruined because someone thought she was racist. Our society isn't politically correct--the KKK still exists.

• Freedom of Speech is not Freedom from Consequence

You are still free to say or do what you want, but like all of your actions you should expect consequences as a result. Others have the RIGHT and the freedom to criticize you for your beliefs/words/actions.

Freedom of speech =/= freedom from consequence.
    Freedom of speech =/= freedom from criticism.

• We have not.

I think that the term political correctness and all of its variations has been given a bad rap. I think that being PC, so to speak, it really just being polite to people. Not saying offensive things really is not a bad thing, so I think we should strive to be more PC.

• It is protecting people

People are generally okay on social media, but when you see how spiteful people are on social media. You here on the news terrible stories of rape threats, death threats, etc. This can have a deep effect on people. People who spout stuff like this should be stopped from doing so.