• An integral part of society

Regardless of what anti-theists will tell you, religion has solved more problems than caused them. I don't believe religion itself in general caused any problems, but the followers who abused their power were the ones at fault. Religion, in the words of Rowan Williams "has always been about community-building, and I daresay, inclusion." I do agree some religions are bad, but religion in general has never been the problem.

• I think religion

Helps keep charities running and provides people with a good set of moral and ethical duties. I understand it has done harm too but overall I think it has made a positive contribution within society. Most religions have been peaceful most of the time they have existed and when they haven't been peaceful it has been due to people taking parts of their religion out of context.

• No, obviously not.

Religious beliefs can be damaging to the mind. Religion is the opium of the people, prioritizing faith and obedience over reason and critical thinking. Religion can be brainwashing, in a sense. It makes faith a virtue. Trust and obey for there’s no other way to be happy in Jesus, so sing children in Sunday schools all over the world.

As science eats away at the territory once held by religion, traditional religious beliefs require stronger and stronger mental defenses to stop crumbling away against threatening information. To stay strong, religions train believers to practise self-deception, shut out contradictory evidence, and trust authorities instead of their own capacity to think - literally putting their minds into other people’s hands. One example is how some hardcore Christians reject evolution, instead choosing to believe the seven-day Creation of God.

“It’s my choice!” they say. “I can choose what to believe!”

Evolution is scientific fact. You cannot deny it.

Moreover, by promising rewards in another life, religion distracts people from the problems they’re currently facing. This makes it a powerful tool in the hands of religious leaders, who use it to remain in power, or in the case of Jim Jones, convince others (900 people!) to sacrifice their lives by drinking poisoned Kool-Aid. To extend on that, religious terrorists can tell their followers to don suicide vests and blow themselves up, because ‘they will be rewarded in the next world’.

• Religion can be taken literally

Religion has done some good, but in the long run it will do more bad. Yes, people take religion out of context and that's the reason things are going to shit right now.

But think about it. A lot of things written in religious texts are quite hateful, I daresay. The Bible says that you must marry your rapist. The Book of Mormon denies anyone with dark skin, and those who are accepted into the church will apparently have their skin 'whiten'. The Quran is another can of worms that, well, is easily googled. In fact, everything is.

Were things taken out of context in religious scriptures? Yes. But there are also things in such scriptures that can be taken very literally. (Case in point, see above. If not enough, Google.) If believers followed their scriptures to the very letter, no one would be able to use birth control or eat shellfish.

Religion should not be needed for people to know what is right or wrong. If only the fear of a higher power keeps you in check, then something is wrong.

Of course, religious people who live their lives peacefully and follow whatever guidance their higher power gives them are good people. Personally, I don't buy it, but if it helps you...

Anyway, since religion (technically) should not be needed to keep people in check (at least, I hope it doesn't) and according to the various scriptures that tell us to kill, rape and oppress anyone not from that particular religion, I think it's safe to say that we are best living without religion.

Religion gives people hope. Religious groups help individuals who have encountered a rough patch in their lives pick themselves up. But those are individual stories. There are as many people who can flip open to a random page, read about some illogical thing in the scriptures and take it literally. Oh, and if you pick and choose what to follow? Then why not carve out your own path instead of relying on a deity to do it for you?

TL;DR: religion can be taken out of context, but there are some things that, when taken literally, can be at the very best, a guide for morals and at the very worst, an excuse to start very, very bad things. Religion does help individuals, but the potential harm it can cause (is already causing) does not do it favours.

• Religion can be taken literally

• Religion divides us

• It depends on how each individual expresses their religion.

Firstly, there is no way to generalize all religions to one group, so when i answer "no" i am referring to a certain people. I think recently religion has been negative towards our society. With all this hatred towards other humans due to skin color, sexuality, or beliefs is usually always traced back to the belief of the religious faith. This is hypocrisy at its finest, and it is ridiculous. I feel that religion and religious practices should be kept discreet. You keep your beliefs and routines within your own general sphere; do not push it on others or hate others for it. For those of you who live life everyday for your religious figure and seek him/her for guidance or support, for those of you who are kind to other humans and follow ALL not SOME of the principles of your faith: although I am not religious, you have my utmost respect.