Has secularism made America a more violent nation?

• Secularism, Humanism and Moral Relativism.

As the western world has increasingly moved away from a Judeo-Christian worldview, moral relativism and secular humanism have changed what used to be fixed reference points of morality and made them subjective rather than objective. Moral relativism = "what is right/wrong for you is not necessarily right/wrong for me". Fifty years ago it was morally unacceptable for a man to leave his wife and divorce her and leave her as a single mother; today this is prevalent. By divorcing ourselves as a society from morals held as a fixed reference point, who is to say what is acceptable or unacceptable?

By the way, whenever I troll sites that talk about Christianity, invariably people bring up the Salem witch trials and the Crusades. Got any more recent examples of violence from the Christian population?

• Its not complicated... Yes of course

Put a secular person against a GENUINE Christian... And you'll see massive differences. The Christian would TRY to keep many things in check... Pride, anger (for wrong reasons, there are right reasons... Think about it) lying and stealing... And the list goes on. My point is a Christian has strong convictions. A secular person doesn't have those strong convictions. A Christian person would more than likely go to Church and the Pastor would teach him/her about morals. I'd thiiiiiiiiiiiiink that, that might make a Christian more likely to act more civil and it does. The secular don't have such influences as strong. This is obvious and only someone without any sense in them would think otherwise.

• Yes, secularism has Made America more violent

When it comes to violence, it remains that most of the violence committed would be done so regardless of the presence of religion. However, throwing out religion and immersing yourself in Atheism without any replacement for some of religion's pacifying teachings will lead to violence. I know, for instance, that most people feel empathy, but relying on something that is qualified by caprice such as a human beings emotional life is less effective at controlling violence.

• Secularism does not increase violence

Secularism insists on government being separated from religion, this allows other religions to coexist and people to believe what they want to. The problem with having one religion favored in government is that then the government now follows that religion with a biased outlook. Our laws favor that religion and outcast others for the simple fact every religion argues they are the one true religion and the others are false. It is impossible to fairly judge someone while upholding one religions laws over others in this manner. The great thing about the United States is we don't favor any religion over others. While the majority of our people are Christian with our constitution we can allow people of different faith to live with us and coexist in harmony. I do not believe that missionaries are immoral in a secular state as that it is their practice to seek out others to "save them" but what I'm not ok with is violent or even nonviolent misdeeds done out of spite then claiming it was god who told me to do it. You shame your religion with acts like that and bring feelings of mistrust to your religion. A perfect of example of this is when a disabled Bernie sanders supporter was abandoned by a tow truck driver because he got a feeling from god that he shouldn't help her. I don't want to single out Christianity but I do want to make a point that favoring one religion in government is unconstitutional. It is in the bill of rights and I'm glad the founding fathers did decide to put it in because they were skeptical of it for the fact they believed it unnecessary due to that any powers not given to the federal government belonged to the people and the state. Now more than ever we need it because of how many people are violating the most basic rights, via government, religion, or other forces. This is obvious as the Patriot act now violates the 4th amendment. And if the federal government can get away with that what would stop them from passing a law that violates the 1st amendment? There are clear exceptions to freedom of religion as if a religion violates another citizen's rights clearly there should be consequences. Thus there are checks and balances with government and religion to prevent government from favoring for or discriminating against any particular religion while at the same time preventing any type of religion from discriminating against an individual or another religion. This is very important and I ask that people really think about what they're doing when they try to make any type of religion our nation's law of the land.

• Secularism does not increase violence

• Secularism does not equal atheism.

Secularism is neutral on religion. Secularism promotes pluralism. Secularism is what allows a diversity of faiths and non-faiths to live together peacefully. The most substantial group of secularists in the American founding era were evangelical Baptists, who wanted government out of religion and religion out of government. Religious freedom is both freedom of religion and freedom from religion (free exercise and non-establishment). Secularism is the glue that holds America together. One is as free to be as religious or as non-religious as one wishes, provided the civil laws are not abridged and the civil laws are religion-neutral.

• America is not becoming more violent.

Dispute what people think, America is not becoming more violent. The total number of violent per year has dropped by almost 40% from 1991. Murders have dropped over 40%. And that isn't even per capita, as the US had grown by 20%, it is even less violent. As for secularism cause violence, you would be better to compare violence in secularism and non-secularism nation, rather then looking a move towards secularism in one nation.

• Secularism does not make a nation more or less violent.

One only has to study history to see the huge amounts of violence done in the name of religion. The Salem witch trials, The Crusades, and the Spanish Inquisition come to mind quickly. If someone is violent, being religions will not change that about them. It may change the reason given for the violence, but it won't stop the actual violence.

• Secularism Is Not The Reason

I do not think that Secularism in The United States has led to us being a more violent nation. Separating the government and religion has little to do with how much violence is in America. If someone is going to be violent, then they chose to do that on their own will. The same goes with religion. The two being intertwined would not change that.

• No, Americans have lost belief in the future.

We are a more violent nation because of the hopelessness that abounds in our society. We have a much lower quality of life, overpopulation, drugs and family structures changing. People do not see themselves as part of a society in which they have a place and a purpose. It has gotten to the point that young people see no sense in marriage but live as if they are. They have children before they have jobs, even before they have a place to live, so they live with family..all these things I think add to a loss of dignity and a sense of hopelessness. It is the lack of opportunity to fit in that causes people to be more violent.