• Yes, it has

Social media such as Facebook and Twitter have made us less social. Instead of going out with friends and enjoying your time with family, people just use these sites. Statistics from 2012 show there are 845 million monthly active users on Facebook. Statistics also show that 250 million photos are uploaded onto Facebook in one day in 2012.

• People don't need to go out any more

People used to need to go out with their friends to find out about their lives but now they can find out from their computer screen without any real human contact or conversation. People no longer need to be able to communicate properly with others due to the fact that the internet is doing it for them. And also the ability to use internet phones to check social media sights has turned places like coffee shops and cafes into non social areas. Instead of approaching strangers to be entertained in new situations people are just pulling out their phones and checking their social media so that they can feel connected to others without actually being connected to others.

• Not Only Social Media.

Social Media has made us less social because it is easy to log onto facebook, twitter, or any other social media site to talk to friends across the city, country, in different states, or provinces, and see what they are up to. You no longer need to call someone, or write a letter, to find out what your friend has been up to all you have to do is look at their profile page. I have noticed that people now a days will only remember someone's birthday because "Facebook told them" it was. However Social Media is not the only thing causing us to be less social. Text messaging also plays a huge part in our decent to anti-socialism, it is easy to send someone a text asking them a question, before you got your first cell phone you would have to find a phone and call your parents to ask them to come get you, or if you can go out, now we can just text them saying "hey can I go to so-and-so's house" or "hey come get me I'm here," and instead of calling someone seeing when they will be there to get you, you send a text saying "hey dude where are you.", also people are now tenting people who are beside/in front/behind/ or across the room to talk to them instead of walking over to them and having a conversation face to face with that person.... And one of the most common things now a days is when someone is here to pick you up they don't have to get out of the car and walk up to the door to get the person they simply text the person and say "here" that's it. We went from being social creatures to being hermits that hide behind our phones.

• Yes, we rely on it too much.

The quote above is from Sherry Turkle from her book called “Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other”. More and more people state that Social Media makes them less social. Even I did it on my personal blog a couple of times. But is it true? Social Media, in my opinion, is a great development on its own. Technology makes it easier for us to communicate and keep in touch with others. Technology makes it also easier for us not to have interaction between each other. Why call someone if you can leave a quick message at their Facebook wall or @Tweet them? We fear the risks and disappointments of relationships with our fellow humans. We expect more from technology and less from each other.

A lot of people rely too much on the digital world and digital contacts. They expect too much from each other when they are communicating online. But does this make Social Media bad? In my opinion the answer would be a big ‘no’. I think it’s more a case of decency.

• Yes MUCH less social

Although social media seemingly “connects” us to our friends and families, in reality we are pushed farther apart by the illusion that we are connected. In reality for many people it is normal for them to feel connected because they read updates about their friends. However in truth these updates and headlines only encourage us not to truly connect in person or by voice because we think we already know.

• Yes, less social

Overall the tools we use and the machines we have to facilitate social communication can be deleterious to social interaction. We may have more information, yes, but it is communicated through a machine, not nearly the same as being face to face with someone (except Skype, of course). In a way, people growing will lose face to face communication abilities.

• Yes social media has made us less social.

I think the reason people are becoming less social is because of too many social sites. We can get access to it on our phones now, which makes people less social and unaware of their surroundings in public. Also the content on social media makes people insecure, people are very mean and uncensored on social media.

• Social media is affecting the would in a bad way.

Sure, it might make communication easier but it focuses on unimportant things like what your friend ate for dinner or your sisters cat. There isn't a lot of really important things like graduations and weddings. I think the time you spend on social media distracts you from important stuff.

Cyber-bullying is also a big problem with social media. “I see a lot of childhood and adolescent depression, and cyberbullying seems to be a contributory factor, says Dr. Chamara Wijesinghe, a lecturer in psychiatry at the University of Kelaniya and a practicing psychiatrist at the Colombo North Teaching Hospital in Ragama.”[link]

• Away with any effort....

Where are the days when we had to actually make an effort to talk to people? Face to face interaction? The time when you had to ask questions and actually learn things about the person you were interested in...Now its all on facebook, twitter or instgram for all to see and know. No effort in that. Why actually talk when you can text? Why go on a date when you can Skype or face time? It just seems that social media has taken the effort of out of true social interaction, it is all about whatever is easier and faster.

• People get bullied

Many people get bullied online. The get hacked and those people that hack people's account post bad things. Even though your account can be private, people can still find you and hack your account. People get bullied at school and maybe somewhere else. But there is a more percentage of people that get bullied online

• No, and I bet this has been asked every time a new technology has been developed

Social media has, in many ways, made us more social. I don't know about you, but I now know what my brother-in-law in Paris is doing, what my neighbor up the street had for dinner last night, and all about my friend's latest date. Before social media, I was unable to keep up with so many people. Social media did not stop me from going out or seeing people. In fact, it helped me remember more people than I did before (I'm horrible at names!). I bet that when the Pony Express came about, people complained that it was making people less social. "Why don't you go and talk to people like you used to?!?" Yes, some people use it as an excuse not to go out, but then those are the type of people who were anti-social anyhow. To blame a technology for human behavior is ludicrous.

• No, it has not.

I am getting ready to debate this topic over at a university with my debate program and the fact that we are all connected via facebook makes it a lot easier for us to relate with one another. The fact that social media has made such an impact on our lives today, is amazing. Not only does it let you know when your friends have been at restaurants or show you pictures that you wouldn't normally see in person, but with just those few things it helps us grow a better social understanding with each other. Therefore I personally believe that it does NOT make us less social and if anything it makes us more connected with our friends.

• It makes us more social

There are tons of social media websites like Facebook, and Tumblr that let people bond over the same things. I, personally, find it easier to be social online than in person, it's less intimidating that way. With technology, we can talk to people on the other side of the world, and make so many new friends.

• Not much has actually changed.

Social media has actually broadened our ways of communicating. With all of these dating websites popping up, our ways of communicating is increasing pretty steadily. It also gives us more chances to catch up with friends and family. If anything, I think that social media is enhancing our ways of communicating. When we have little time for talking, online websites are an easy, effective way of getting words across.

• You can stay connected with people

You can use social media to connect with people you might not be able to see everyday. You connect with people whose phone numbers you might not know their phone number or you don't want to call to find their number or just to chat with and see what they're up to. You can connect with people you haven't seen for a while.

• No it hasn't

First off its called social media for a reason. If you honestly think its making us less social then why do you care so much. Its our choice if we want to be anti-social its not social medias fault. We find people we haven't talked to in forever. It gets people to become more social. Its actually helping our generation.

• No it hasn't

• Social media doesn't makes us less social

When people is shy to have a face to face conversation the use social media to have a conversation with people than when they feel comfortable enough with that person they talk to that person face to face; if social media wouldn't have existed this people would have find even harder to socialize and make friends.

• No it has not

Sometimes, we do not get to see the person we want to socialize with so the only thing that helps us get to talk to the person is, social media. Skyping or face-timing helps you get to see their face. Facebook has chat, you can talk to them through it. Instagram, you can upload pictures to let people know what you do.

• It affects teenagers

Teenagers today are too much into social media and texting that it seems like the only 'cool' thing to do. Gone are the days when we used to play outside, hang out with friends, go skating and all outdoor things. People, especially teenagers just have their eyes glued to their phone or iPod with only their fingers moving. What is there so much to do online? It's just commenting, posting, liking, and chatting. People just lose physical socialization. Teenagers text and chat all day that they miss the wonderful opportunities nature offers. For example: climbing trees, chilling in a tree house, skateboarding, taking a walk on a beautiful morning. They just stay inside and text, text, chat, chat, post, post. And one day when they grow up, they will for sure regret it.