• Yes it makes us WAY less social

Think about it some people in other countries have no social media sites and never will whereas we couldn't last one day without ours because we would lose more supposed "friends" . Honestly I think it's pathetic that we can't sit down and just talk face to face. Personally I would rather have five REAL friends than 1000 virtual ones. Wouldn't you?

• Yes, it has

Social media such as Facebook and Twitter have made us less social. Instead of going out with friends and enjoying your time with family, people just use these sites. Statistics from 2012 show there are 845 million monthly active users on Facebook. Statistics also show that 250 million photos are uploaded onto Facebook in one day in 2012.

• People don't need to go out any more

People used to need to go out with their friends to find out about their lives but now they can find out from their computer screen without any real human contact or conversation. People no longer need to be able to communicate properly with others due to the fact that the internet is doing it for them. And also the ability to use internet phones to check social media sights has turned places like coffee shops and cafes into non social areas. Instead of approaching strangers to be entertained in new situations people are just pulling out their phones and checking their social media so that they can feel connected to others without actually being connected to others.

• Not Only Social Media.

Social Media has made us less social because it is easy to log onto facebook, twitter, or any other social media site to talk to friends across the city, country, in different states, or provinces, and see what they are up to. You no longer need to call someone, or write a letter, to find out what your friend has been up to all you have to do is look at their profile page. I have noticed that people now a days will only remember someone's birthday because "Facebook told them" it was. However Social Media is not the only thing causing us to be less social. Text messaging also plays a huge part in our decent to anti-socialism, it is easy to send someone a text asking them a question, before you got your first cell phone you would have to find a phone and call your parents to ask them to come get you, or if you can go out, now we can just text them saying "hey can I go to so-and-so's house" or "hey come get me I'm here," and instead of calling someone seeing when they will be there to get you, you send a text saying "hey dude where are you.", also people are now tenting people who are beside/in front/behind/ or across the room to talk to them instead of walking over to them and having a conversation face to face with that person.... And one of the most common things now a days is when someone is here to pick you up they don't have to get out of the car and walk up to the door to get the person they simply text the person and say "here" that's it. We went from being social creatures to being hermits that hide behind our phones.

• Yes, we rely on it too much.

The quote above is from Sherry Turkle from her book called “Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other”. More and more people state that Social Media makes them less social. Even I did it on my personal blog a couple of times. But is it true? Social Media, in my opinion, is a great development on its own. Technology makes it easier for us to communicate and keep in touch with others. Technology makes it also easier for us not to have interaction between each other. Why call someone if you can leave a quick message at their Facebook wall or @Tweet them? We fear the risks and disappointments of relationships with our fellow humans. We expect more from technology and less from each other.

A lot of people rely too much on the digital world and digital contacts. They expect too much from each other when they are communicating online. But does this make Social Media bad? In my opinion the answer would be a big ‘no’. I think it’s more a case of decency.

• Yes MUCH less social

Although social media seemingly “connects” us to our friends and families, in reality we are pushed farther apart by the illusion that we are connected. In reality for many people it is normal for them to feel connected because they read updates about their friends. However in truth these updates and headlines only encourage us not to truly connect in person or by voice because we think we already know.

• Yes, less social

Overall the tools we use and the machines we have to facilitate social communication can be deleterious to social interaction. We may have more information, yes, but it is communicated through a machine, not nearly the same as being face to face with someone (except Skype, of course). In a way, people growing will lose face to face communication abilities.

• Yes social media has made us less social.

I think the reason people are becoming less social is because of too many social sites. We can get access to it on our phones now, which makes people less social and unaware of their surroundings in public. Also the content on social media makes people insecure, people are very mean and uncensored on social media.

• Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

• Hell to the yes

I could totally give a thousand reasons on how social media is making us less social but the only thing I'm going to add to this endless argument is that the advancement of technology is great, something we should be proud of and thankful for. But the advancement of technology shouldn't mean us humans should de-advance. The simple fact is that we are too reliant on our phones, yes for important things such as research and staying in contact with long distanced friends but now also for absolutely pointless things such as being reminded of things because of Facebook. Our grandparents could remember things without social media so we can too. There's no point being lazy and pinning it on social media and the advancement of technology.

• No, and I bet this has been asked every time a new technology has been developed

Social media has, in many ways, made us more social. I don't know about you, but I now know what my brother-in-law in Paris is doing, what my neighbor up the street had for dinner last night, and all about my friend's latest date. Before social media, I was unable to keep up with so many people. Social media did not stop me from going out or seeing people. In fact, it helped me remember more people than I did before (I'm horrible at names!). I bet that when the Pony Express came about, people complained that it was making people less social. "Why don't you go and talk to people like you used to?!?" Yes, some people use it as an excuse not to go out, but then those are the type of people who were anti-social anyhow. To blame a technology for human behavior is ludicrous.

• No, it has not.

I am getting ready to debate this topic over at a university with my debate program and the fact that we are all connected via facebook makes it a lot easier for us to relate with one another. The fact that social media has made such an impact on our lives today, is amazing. Not only does it let you know when your friends have been at restaurants or show you pictures that you wouldn't normally see in person, but with just those few things it helps us grow a better social understanding with each other. Therefore I personally believe that it does NOT make us less social and if anything it makes us more connected with our friends.

• Social media is a support of social relation:

I think we need to stop to make a close borders between social media and real life, because people who have all the social interactions with social media are just exception. The majority of people have social interactions with real people but when they cannot they use social media for still have social interaction.

• NO Stop blaming social media

It gives people thing
    s to talk about.
    I know me and my friends talk about everything that goes on social media for example, the new game flappy bird. There were so many ads on instagram about this flappy bird a bunch of people downloaded it, everyone started talking about it and you would keep talking to the people who you were talking about an internet craze about other things.

• No, definitely not

I know more people now then whenever I wasn't on Twitter and Instagram, and I get to see and hear about what they're doing. If you don't ever see these people, but just talk to them on facebook, then yes. But for me no. We get to see and hear about what they're doing.

• It is wrong to blame social media for personal choices.

Friends and family that are countries apart now feel closer to each other. Long-distance relationships are now a reality. Sitting in the UK, we can instantly get news from America to Syria. All this was not possible during the days when it took a month or more for letters to reach one place to another, when newspapers took a day or two to report the happenings of another country.

As for more closer loved ones, we may choose to keep in touch with them through aloof manners like posting on their Facebook wall or texting them rather than visiting them when they live just down the street. But we cannot blame technology for this. If we choose to face them digitally rather than personally, it is our own fault for being too busy or tired (or worse, lazy). There are people using social media to plan old friend reunions and family get-togethers. It's because they used technology to their advantage.

For these reasons, it is not social media that has made us less social -- it is we ourselves who have created distances and barriers.

• Social media does not make us less social

I am of the opinion that as social media has evolved, we have found ways to make sense off the intense noise that is the deluge of information from these sites. They have provided us with an otherwise rare perspective and made us socially connected in esoteric circles. The argument that social media diverts our attention from the more corporeal aspects of life is unfounded as social media has provided us with all our info needs in a time saving manner giving us more time to spend with family or doing whatever. If people get addicted to these sites, then it is a matter of personal volition.

• Life is not the same.

When I was growing up, I had a hunger to socialize and interact with people. In fact, I hated being at home or alone. Now, with the proliferation of social media and the Internet, I often speak to just one person a whole day. It's my opinion that the Internet did this. I find myself longing for real human interaction, but when in public I realize why I tend to keep to myself: People have seemingly lost the ability to interact or have fun in "real life" anymore. Not only are our social skills waning, but motivation and creativity seem to be at an all-time low. People used to create or work for entertainment if for no other reason. Now they check Instagram. People seem so distant even when they're right in front of you these daysIt is wrong to blame social media for personal choices. Friends and family that are countries apart now feel closer to each other. Long-distance relationships are now a reality. Sitting in the UK, we can instantly get news from America to Syria. All this was not possible during the days when it took a month or more for letters to reach one place to another, when newspapers took a day or two to report the happenings of another country.

Posted by: PranksALot

• No; How can it when it has actually accelerated communication?

Social media was created to facilitate the creation of new relationships and maintenance of friendships in this fast-paced world of ours. It has accelerated global and local communication at speeds unattainable in the past. Since communication is the backbone of social interaction, it is ludicrous to say social media is making us less social. Social media eliminates the factor of distance, A FACTOR THAT ACTUALLY DETERS PEOPLE FROM BEING MORE SOCIAL, along with other barriers.

Posted by: Ekso