• Yes, it has

Social media such as Facebook and Twitter have made us less social. Instead of going out with friends and enjoying your time with family, people just use these sites. Statistics from 2012 show there are 845 million monthly active users on Facebook. Statistics also show that 250 million photos are uploaded onto Facebook in one day in 2012.

• People don't need to go out any more

People used to need to go out with their friends to find out about their lives but now they can find out from their computer screen without any real human contact or conversation. People no longer need to be able to communicate properly with others due to the fact that the internet is doing it for them. And also the ability to use internet phones to check social media sights has turned places like coffee shops and cafes into non social areas. Instead of approaching strangers to be entertained in new situations people are just pulling out their phones and checking their social media so that they can feel connected to others without actually being connected to others.

• Not Only Social Media.

Social Media has made us less social because it is easy to log onto facebook, twitter, or any other social media site to talk to friends across the city, country, in different states, or provinces, and see what they are up to. You no longer need to call someone, or write a letter, to find out what your friend has been up to all you have to do is look at their profile page. I have noticed that people now a days will only remember someone's birthday because "Facebook told them" it was. However Social Media is not the only thing causing us to be less social. Text messaging also plays a huge part in our decent to anti-socialism, it is easy to send someone a text asking them a question, before you got your first cell phone you would have to find a phone and call your parents to ask them to come get you, or if you can go out, now we can just text them saying "hey can I go to so-and-so's house" or "hey come get me I'm here," and instead of calling someone seeing when they will be there to get you, you send a text saying "hey dude where are you.", also people are now tenting people who are beside/in front/behind/ or across the room to talk to them instead of walking over to them and having a conversation face to face with that person.... And one of the most common things now a days is when someone is here to pick you up they don't have to get out of the car and walk up to the door to get the person they simply text the person and say "here" that's it. We went from being social creatures to being hermits that hide behind our phones.

• Yes, we rely on it too much.

The quote above is from Sherry Turkle from her book called “Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other”. More and more people state that Social Media makes them less social. Even I did it on my personal blog a couple of times. But is it true? Social Media, in my opinion, is a great development on its own. Technology makes it easier for us to communicate and keep in touch with others. Technology makes it also easier for us not to have interaction between each other. Why call someone if you can leave a quick message at their Facebook wall or @Tweet them? We fear the risks and disappointments of relationships with our fellow humans. We expect more from technology and less from each other.

A lot of people rely too much on the digital world and digital contacts. They expect too much from each other when they are communicating online. But does this make Social Media bad? In my opinion the answer would be a big ‘no’. I think it’s more a case of decency.

• Yes MUCH less social

Although social media seemingly “connects” us to our friends and families, in reality we are pushed farther apart by the illusion that we are connected. In reality for many people it is normal for them to feel connected because they read updates about their friends. However in truth these updates and headlines only encourage us not to truly connect in person or by voice because we think we already know.

• Yes, less social

Overall the tools we use and the machines we have to facilitate social communication can be deleterious to social interaction. We may have more information, yes, but it is communicated through a machine, not nearly the same as being face to face with someone (except Skype, of course). In a way, people growing will lose face to face communication abilities.

• Yes social media has made us less social.

I think the reason people are becoming less social is because of too many social sites. We can get access to it on our phones now, which makes people less social and unaware of their surroundings in public. Also the content on social media makes people insecure, people are very mean and uncensored on social media.

• Social media has made us, especially teenagers less sociable.

In the past, when we don't have the advantage of using social media, we tend to go out and meet our friends face to face to find out more about what is happening in their lives. But now, with the advancement of technology, there is no need for us to go out and meet face to face just to find out about their lives. With sites such as Facebook and Twitter, we are able to know how are they doing as they will constantly post about what is happening in their daily lives. Modern technologies such as iPhones and Android phones allow us to surf the social media with the use of 3G or wifi. Practically, we are able to update our social media anywhere and anytime. Often during family gatherings in the past, teenagers and kids, or even adults will mingle around since they have not met each other for quite a long time. Now, they are just hooked up with their phones, like as if they cannot live without it. We rely on our social media too much.

• Yes, its very obvious and its not a new thing.

It not only changed the attitude and mindset of the people but also the way they live. Culturally, the younger generations tend to be less aware, losing ones own customs and traditions; norms and values etc. and so on.
    Apart from this time factor and time management plays an important role in student's life. What we see is that, normally when a particular student has no value of time this causes a problem in his studies.

Posted by: Vino
  • Life is not the same.

When I was growing up, I had a hunger to socialize and interact with people. In fact, I hated being at home or alone. Now, with the proliferation of social media and the Internet, I often speak to just one person a whole day. It's my opinion that the Internet did this. I find myself longing for real human interaction, but when in public I realize why I tend to keep to myself: People have seemingly lost the ability to interact or have fun in "real life" anymore. Not only are our social skills waning, but motivation and creativity seem to be at an all-time low. People used to create or work for entertainment if for no other reason. Now they check Instagram. People seem so distant even when they're right in front of you these daysIt is wrong to blame social media for personal choices. Friends and family that are countries apart now feel closer to each other. Long-distance relationships are now a reality. Sitting in the UK, we can instantly get news from America to Syria. All this was not possible during the days when it took a month or more for letters to reach one place to another, when newspapers took a day or two to report the happenings of another country.

As for more closer loved ones, we may choose to keep in touch with them through aloof manners like posting on their Facebook wall or texting them rather than visiting them when they live just down the street. But we cannot blame technology for this. If we choose to face them digitally rather than personally, it is our own fault for being too busy or tired (or worse, lazy). There are people using social media to plan old friend reunions and family get-togethers. It's because they used technology to their advantage.

For these reasons, it is not social media that has made us less social -- it is we ourselves who have created distances and barriers.
    Posted by: PranksALot

• No, and I bet this has been asked every time a new technology has been developed

Social media has, in many ways, made us more social. I don't know about you, but I now know what my brother-in-law in Paris is doing, what my neighbor up the street had for dinner last night, and all about my friend's latest date. Before social media, I was unable to keep up with so many people. Social media did not stop me from going out or seeing people. In fact, it helped me remember more people than I did before (I'm horrible at names!). I bet that when the Pony Express came about, people complained that it was making people less social. "Why don't you go and talk to people like you used to?!?" Yes, some people use it as an excuse not to go out, but then those are the type of people who were anti-social anyhow. To blame a technology for human behavior is ludicrous.

• No, it has not.

I am getting ready to debate this topic over at a university with my debate program and the fact that we are all connected via facebook makes it a lot easier for us to relate with one another. The fact that social media has made such an impact on our lives today, is amazing. Not only does it let you know when your friends have been at restaurants or show you pictures that you wouldn't normally see in person, but with just those few things it helps us grow a better social understanding with each other. Therefore I personally believe that it does NOT make us less social and if anything it makes us more connected with our friends.

• Life is not the same.

Posted by: PranksALot

• No; How can it when it has actually accelerated communication?

Social media was created to facilitate the creation of new relationships and maintenance of friendships in this fast-paced world of ours. It has accelerated global and local communication at speeds unattainable in the past. Since communication is the backbone of social interaction, it is ludicrous to say social media is making us less social. Social media eliminates the factor of distance, A FACTOR THAT ACTUALLY DETERS PEOPLE FROM BEING MORE SOCIAL, along with other barriers.

Posted by: Ekso

• Social Media has made us Social Beings

Whenever I come across this word “Social Media”, somehow I am convinced that the word “Social” used here is quite apt to define the entire term itself. Yes, Social Media is actually making us “Social Beings”. I can never think of my story without giving a “#tag” mention to Facebook, Twitter or Whatsapp. I genuinely feel that the virtual world is actually more social and happening than the real world. Who has that precious time to meet their buddies or families or love-mates? In this world of appointments, schedules, time-tables, who has the capacity to deal each and every person with equal efficacy?
    I think, my life would have been lonelier if I couldn’t be able to-
    • Text my mates at one click.
    • Spread my thoughts at the speed of 0-100 persons/second.
    • Revolutionize the whole society in an hour.
    This list is endless and same goes with the utility of social media in our lives.
    What if I can’t meet or be there with my loved ones in the real world, I can be with them anytime, anywhere through the virtual world.

• Living in world in these days we need Internet and we need social media

Since the dawn of time people are like rabbits and Earth is full of us now. To communicate with other people, around our beautiful world, we need something quick and efficient. We cannot use pigeons with letter any longer. We have projects that need our immediate attention, work that will fall apart without us, our friends' problems that we should look at. Social media helps us attend everything in our lives on time and it helps us talk to people on the other side of the Earth. From California I can talk (I mean I can actually see him) to my small brother in Europe every weekend.
    Social media presents more positive than negative outcomes.
    And by the way, aren't we participating in social media right now?

• How does it make us less social?

I will agree with the opposing side that yes we see more and more people texting or chatting with their friends while waiting for something. This doesn't necessarily mean that they are being anti-social, they're probably BEING social with someone else, on the other side of the chat-room.
    What does social mean though? It means communication with other people, social media is just another way of doing it. A way which hasn't been accepted by the older generations as it is virtual.
    The human race is social by nature; WhatsApp, Skype, Facebook etc. allows us to do exactly that.
    Besides what about relatives living in other countries? My older brother is currently studying in England and the rest of the family lives in Germany. Yes, we write the occasional letter... But our main communication device is our phone and consequently; WhatsApp and Skype. They allow us to chat and video call with our family members, friends and sometimes even business partners.
    These are things that are obviously keeping us in touch with each other; and effectively keep us socializing with people beyond our village.

• NO Stop blaming social media

It gives people thing
    s to talk about.
    I know me and my friends talk about everything that goes on social media for example, the new game flappy bird. There were so many ads on instagram about this flappy bird a bunch of people downloaded it, everyone started talking about it and you would keep talking to the people who you were talking about an internet craze about other things.

• No, definitely not

I know more people now then whenever I wasn't on Twitter and Instagram, and I get to see and hear about what they're doing. If you don't ever see these people, but just talk to them on facebook, then yes. But for me no. We get to see and hear about what they're doing.