Has song-writing lost a lot of meaning since the 80's?

Asked by: alphafailed
  • Cash Grabs and Bad Messages

Most of the popular music I hear these days are songs that have a catchy chorus (mostly composed of the same words but with different pitches, which honestly kinda bores me) and a terrible message (I rarely hear a song that doesn't have to do with finding that "special someone", and having all sorts of sexual relations with them). Now, I don't mean to say that there weren't sex and love songs in the 70's or 80's, but I just think that they were done better back then, using more than just sound effects and collective oohs and aahs, they had depth and lyrics that you felt good for memorizing! "Just a city boy! Born and raised in South Detroit! He took the midnight train going anywhere!" or "Show you off, tonight I wanna show you off (eh, eh, eh)
    What you got, a billion could've never bought (eh, eh, eh)"? What sounds better?

• More so the music business.

Song-writing in the mainstream and indie scene has become simple and over-produced. The home studio has flooded the industry with all sorts of rubbish. There's also a lack of original ideas. Many artists are just sampling from other songs, or even just doing covers. A quick look and the top 40 history from the 80s and there were hits knocking other hits of the top spot. Finally, as the headline states, the whole music industry is now geared towards unit sales. Simon Cowell is a prime example. He's a great business man, but killing creativity.

• Oh hell ya it has

In my own opinion, I feel strongly that music has lost its meaning.... All I hear on the radio today is people singing bout "the base" or gang violence...And so on. But I like to listen to the music where people actually mead it with real instruments like guitar, drums e.C.T.....Ands like pink Floyd, Tom petty, don't get me wrong, I also like to listen to Metallica, everlast, nirvana, green day, but those bands actually put out music that they hope will connect with the listener, they don't go straight to the wallet.

• Yes it has

Back in the 50s, music had meaning. And that meaning was always positively put with no bad words or inappropriate feelings. Meaning in music held out until about the 80s. In the eighties, songs were catchy, positive, and even though it lost some innocence since.The fifties, it had meanings to understand. Today one out of five or six songs are good and one.Out of ten have real meanings. All songs are is getting drunk, having sex, or breaking up because you are a totally innocent person and the other is a cold blood killer. Yeah right. Those are the only meanings you'll get out of.Songs

• Not always so

It really depends on what music you listen to. Furthermore, there're so many languages that music can take form in. I assume you refer to the generic English pop music. Well even for music in English, there're certainly some with excellent lyrics out there, you just have to put in the effort to find it. I personally find though that music in other languages tend to be more meaningful than English songs, no offense.

• Not in all cases

It does seem like nowadays rappers seem to have drugs, money, and women as their go-to song topic, but that doesn't mean all songs are like that. Most of the time, songs like that end up on the bottom of the charts while songs about the struggle to obtain success are at the top. In the end though, nobody cares about the lyrics of a song, just if it's catchy and sounds good to the human ear.

• Only sometimes; not always

Indie music (independent music) has meaningful lyrics that actually make sense. The band "Of Monsters and Men" sing random things but there is a hidden meaning to all of their songs. Their song "Dirty Paws" actually talks about WWII except they change the countries into animals and creatures. There are so many singers and groups that sing with meaning. Some people assume that love songs don't have a lot of meaning but Sam Smith's songs are really deep and so are Kelly Clarkson's along with Adele (for example).

• There's more music than pop

Pop isn't the best genre to compare this true. Pop music has never really been meaningful, even in the 80s. Some songs do have a fantastic message in them, however. I have listened to countless of non-pop modern songs that have great meanings in them (I am fifteen years old). If you expand your musical knowledge and listen to different genres and artist- you will probably be surprised. There are more artists than Ariana Grande and Miley Cyrus. Personally, I think Lorde is a musical genius and I recommend to listen to her. Every single one of her songs have amazing meaning and her grammy winning song she wrote when she was fifteen.

• If you don't like pop go indie.

I've made this argument before:

Pop like 9 times out of 10 is pretty terrible. People always remember the good pop bands and not the terrible ones. Plus your argument is invalid thanks to the 90's. Nirvana? Pearl Jam? etc. that was meaningful pop music.

If the terrible pop music isn't working for you than the indie genre will - they write songwriter music - the real deal. There is always somebody somewhere making great music, even if it's not on the Billboard top 100.

• Listen to Ben Folds people

Sure, there are Ariana Grande, Katy Perry, Kanye West and...People. But some people wrie really nice meaningful songs. Except they are not really appreciated, but they are still there. LISTEN TO BEN FOLDS PEOPLE HE WRITES GENUINE SONGS! So yeah...That's my opinion...People are still out there with meaningful songs so yeah!

• Justin Bieber, Arian Grande and Kanye West ect

Aren't the only people making music. A lot of mainstream music today is awful, yeah, but there is still meaningful music. One example of an artist who makes meaningful songs is Hozier, whose song "Take me to church" went viral last year. He's what he said about the song : “The song is about loving somebody, and the video is about people who would undermine what it is to love somebody. I’d been following what was going on in Russia, where far-Right groups were doing these organised attacks, filming them and putting them on social media.” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYSVMgRr6pw

Even some mainsteam pop singers, like Lady Gaga have lyrically meaningful songs, and so do others like Ed Sherean, Lana Del Rey and songs by Sia (like 'chandelier' and 'pretty hurts'