Has the feminist movement fulfilled its objectives within our society?

• Yes, of course!

We have earned what we have strived for. We wanted to leave the realm of housewifery, and so we have. We wanted to work and we do. We wanted equal pay, and that we got. We wanted to vote, now we can. Just look around you. Women are now politicians, teachers and even soldiers. What more could we possibly want?

• Women in many cases are better off than men today.

The pendulum has shifted from women being inferior to women being superior in almost all areas. Examples:
    * More women are admitted to college than men, with a nearly 60-40 split.
    * Family courts give full or primary custody to the mother in over 2/3 of cases. Mothers rarely lose custody of their children in any case, unless severe and violent abuse has occurred.
    * When an employer has two candidates, he is encouraged by state and federal law to choose the woman over the man.
    * Women who have illegitimate children receive many social support services. Men who raise these children receive far less support. Moreover, the woman loses her support if a man moves in with her.

Posted by: Pir4And
  • Hell yes.

The "Feminist" movement is no longer about women's rights. It's about zealotry and greed. Hatred and discrimination. Every feminist I have ever met has insulted my character on the spot for disagreeing with them. Men are not the slaves to feminists. Feminists go WAY beyond women's rights, which really should be a human rights issue, in what they do.

• The feminist movement has accomplished its goal of giving woman a voice and jobs.

It was not long ago that women could not hold high paying jobs and were looked down upon. Those days are gone because the feminist movement has eradicated most prejudice against women. Many high profile jobs are given to women. There are still minor instances from time to time of discrimination, but overall women finally have their place in society.

Posted by: M0r3Interior
  • The feminist movement has fulfilled it's objectives. Women are now judged on their merit.

Women have attained many important positions in our society. In addition one of the myths of the feminist movement, that women earn significantly less than men, has been disproved. Newsweek and MSNBC have an article about it (not exactly right wing media). Women can make any choice they want. In addition the debate over abortion is not should a woman have control over their body, but when does human life begin? Maybe in the past it was about a woman's right, but when ever I talk to anyone about abortion, regardless of their view, it's always about when is a person a person. That's why we are seeing more and more women declare themselves pro-life. The issue isn't about control over themselves (that was the issue in the 60's it's been answered today), but over the issue of life and death. Since many people will default to the "if you are not sure just say no" position they declare themselves pro-life (many people are opposed to the death penalty for the same reason if I am not sure then don't kill).

Posted by: MishK00I
  • I believe that the feminine movement has achieved many of the objectives that it set about to change.

Throughout the years, the feminist movement has led to such changes as a woman's right to vote, a woman's right to serve in the military, and overhauls in legislation that provides women with equal rights in the workplace. Furthermore, women have gained stature in the corporate world, and achieve high status in politics as well. No longer is a women expected to be "barefoot and pregnant," and most rational individuals do not bat an eye when being introduced to a female doctor, lawyer, politician, or CEO.

Posted by: 3v3nHip
  • I think feminism has achieved its mission. We now see women in all levels of business, politics and the entertainment industry.

Woman have achieved successes that the first feminists could only dream about. We've had woman nominated to run for Vice President. We've had a woman come very close to being nominated for President. We have women in all levels of politics from Secretary of State to Mayor. Houston, Texas just elected an openly gay female as its Mayor. We have women in every level of corporate America. We have women surgeons, doctors, hospital administrators. We have women astronauts, pilots and helicopter pilots. Women are lawyers and judges. We also have women who are professors, instructors and even Presidents at universities all across the Country. We also see women (and men) who do not enter the workplace and stay home to raise their children. Both women and men have the freedom to work or not, and to be as successful as they can be.

Posted by: 5kyErto
  • Yeah to feminists!

Since the beginning of the feminist movement, the family structure in America and in other countries that feminists have touched is deteriorating. This movement caused high divorce rates; single mothers on the rise; dysfunctional families; increase of gangs, drinking, and drug use; more fathers in jail, without jobs, and without their children, etc. Thus, I salute the feminists for advancing our society in the reverse direction!

• The major strides of the feminist movement have for the most part resulted in a culture of equal opportunity.

And that's great. The only thing holding women back from positions of power (or physical labor) these days are their own reservations or the opinions of others, both of which are not things that physically bar them from participation in any rung of society they wish to shoot for.

You have the freedom to pursue any position you wish, but you don't have the right to impose a polite culture where everyone has to support you. You can't make it illegal for people to have opinions, however much you disagree. Illegality should only play a role when said prejudices are acted upon. This applies to men, women, and everyone in between.

• What are they fighting for now?

They don't do anything, just sit on tumblr talking about smashing the patriarchy, they've been smashing it for the past 100 years and haven't got anywhere for the last 20 of them. They've achieved nothing in the past 20 years that is important and made women more equal. These feminists don't know what true 'oppression' is. They should go try out Congo where raping your wife is legal. They haven't done anything about that, have they?

• I think the feminists are a disgrace to true females.

Call me old fashioned, but I still believe in traditional values. I am a woman, and I think hardcore feminists are a disgrace to the real women. Women are made to be nurturing, good cooks, kind, and loving. Women are made to take care of kids, take care of their husbands, and provide a loving home environment. All in all, I think feminists are ridiculous radicals.

Posted by: OIi0IymPic
  • It has gotten better but still could be better.

The feminist movement has definitely done something - somewhat destroying traditional gender roles, giving women voting rights, and such. But there is still sexualisation of women and girls. The idea is pushed upon young girls that the most important thing for them is to look good, before education, their own happiness or anything else. So many girls end up with eating disorders and depression. Also look in the history books. You won't find many women at all, even though they did have a part. However to conclude, the feminist movement has done something, it has given women a stronger voice than they had before.

• We haven't won the battle

As I am a 24 year old woman in southern United States, I was not informed well on the 19th amendment. Teachers ramble on about Martin Luther King and slavery but what about the women? What about Alice Paul and Lucy Burns or any other suffragists that help pass the movement? Women consist of 50% of the population in the entire world., why don't the schools teach this? Why don't they see this as an important part of history? When I barely found out, I would have to say I was ashamed and wanted to blame many for me not knowing.

• End Sexualization and objectification in the media!

Over the past ten years women have lost more equality than they are gaining! Very young girls are bombarded with sexualized images on TV, in music videos and lyrics, toys, Internet, porn, etc. Telling them the only way to be accepted as a girl or woman in this society is to be sexy. Most role models on TV still have to use sex to sell their talent. Young girls develop cognitive, mental and sexual consequences when the only thing they are ever taught is looking hot will get you further than education. Low self esteem for not reaching perfection leads to depression, eating disorders, possibly more sexually active. GET RID OF SEXUALIZING WOMEN IN THE MEDIA, IT NEEDS TO BE FILTERED OR YOUNG GIRLS WILL GROW UP WITH COGNITIVE AND MENTAL DISABILITIES, LOW SELF-ESTEEM, AND HIGHER PREGNANCY RATES BECAUSE GIRLS ARE TAUGHT THEY ARE ONLY GOOD FOR SEX.

• I think they've made strides, but there is still room for improvement, especially concerning salaries.

The feminist movement did a good job, through the years, when it comes to equal rights. There is still room for improvement in the salary area. Women still are not paid equal money for equal jobs. I, personally, don't think that time will ever happen. Women have earned much greater respect in the workforce than, say, back in the 1970's.

Posted by: RichDarron
  • No, it continues to be an ongoing struggle, due to the evident discrimination that still exists.

While it is undeniable that women have made great progress towards equality, there sill is much to be done. The feminist movement has not fulfilled its objectives in society just yet. Women still face discrimination in the workplace and in other areas. It's hard to know if the feminist movement will ever completely fulfill its objectives in society.

Posted by: AverageHoward86
  • Feminism has not fulfilled all its objectives because, while there have been significant gains, there is still no Equal Rights Amendment.

Feminism has made many gains in our society over the last four decades, but there is still no Equal Rights Amendment or any other rule of law specifically instituted to protect the rights of women. It's nice that women can now wear jeans, instead of dresses, work as doctors, instead of as nurses, and enter positions of society formerly closed to them. But, if there is nothing in the rule of law cementing the rights of women, then they are in danger of being taken away all over again.

Posted by: tagapps
  • I do not think the feminist movement has fulfilled its objective because women are still not treated as equals; our society is still dominated by men.

I do not think the feminist movement has fulfilled its objective because women are still paid less than men for the same job and because men still hold the highest positions in companies and in politics. When you look at the CEO's and owners of companies, it is still rare to see a woman holding power.

Posted by: VagueWiley89
  • I disagree because the idea of feminism is pretty much gone.

I disagree with this because it seems as though women are more independent these days and trying to steer away from calling themselves feminists. They want to be career minded and family oriented, but independent at the same time. Women just want to have equal rights and be seen as their own person and in this sense they do not really fight as much for rights because they no longer need to.

Posted by: TigerDiII
  • I disagree because, on average, women still get paid less than men for the same type of work.

I argue that the feminist movement has not fulfilled all its objectives yet. The main reason, I believe, is because on average, women still make less money than men for the same type of work. In addition, it is more difficult for many women to reach high-ranking and high-paying positions, because they so often have to balance their career with child-rearing duties.

Posted by: P5ych0Ogdan