• The US government has long exceeded its Constitutional role

At the founding of the United States the government was given a limited role of primarily managing foreign and domestic trade and maintaining a basic national defense. Since then, the role of the government has grown to interfere with every aspect of its citizens' life. It is now a bloated bureaucracy that often hinders its citizens, rather than serve them.

• The government has forgotten its role

The United States government is out of the scope of effectiveness. Its purpose is to have a limited role and make sure the country remains safe and prosperous. The government should not be overly involved in economy and social welfare. These types of things drain society. Government needs to lessen its influence.

• Not as long as we live in a democracy.

I will first say that there are certainly many governments across the world that have forgotten their role, and only exist to serve themselves through the oppression of their people. However, assuming the question refers to the Canadian federal government, I believe that its primary role is to protect its people and uphold their rights as named on the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and to represent the majority of the population. I believe that the government is fulfilling this role excellently. When I take a step back and look at all the rights to which I am entitled, I feel blessed to have been born into such an amazing country. Every branch of the government is meant to protect and to serve the the public to the best of its ability, and it truly seems that the politicians of this country try their hardest to act in the best interests of the people. Canada is a democracy, where anyone is free to express their views and opinions on how the country can be improved, become a politician, and vote, provided they are an adult citizen. When someone complains about how hard their lives are, or how selfish and corrupt our government is, I cannot help but think of just how spoiled they seem. We live in a democracy, where our rights and freedoms and wellbeing are legally protected, and where there is a system that is meant to ensure that the government represents as many of its people as possible, and where most of our top politicians try their hardest to improve our standard of living, and where we are allowed to make a huge fuss over it when they fail to do so. To say our government has forgotten its role would be one of the most ignorant claims I have ever heard, when in reality we should be thankful that our government works its hardest to help its people as effectively as it can. We could have just as easily been born into a dictatorship, where the federal government uses the people to serve its own purposes, and silences those who disagree. People do not have the freedom and protection everywhere that we do in Canada. This is not to say that we should not be outspoken about the issues that face us, but before complaining, just think about where else we could have been born. That being said, there is still room for improvement in Canada. Of all the people in this country, no one has the more appropriate grounds to complain than those who are homeless. Statistics show that on any given night, at least thirty thousand Canadians live in poverty. I believe that this is the responsibility of all levels of government, and that more must be done to help bring down this worrying figure. That was just a point I wanted to make, and does not at all mean that I believe the government has in any way forgotten its role.

• No, the government has not forgotten its role.

No, I don't believe that the government has forgotten its role. In fact, if anything, it seems that the government is now too powerful, and many of our civil liberties and freedoms are being trampled on by government. A century ago, the government had very little power, and society wasn't in as bad a shape as they are now. True, given the much bigger size of the country now, the stats are somewhat skewed, but the government has definitely become too big, and has not forgotten its role at all.

• No

No they have not forgotten the role. They are helping make the USA, a better and good place to live to all there natives. They are trying to make it better for the people who have a low income. They are providing medical and making new jobs for all the people in the USA.

• Not forgotten, just disregarding

The government still understands the role it is expected to play in the lives of the citizens it is supposed to protect. It simply no longer does so, it's been put on the back burner in favor of politicians being so insistent on their beliefs needing to be represented that "the people can wait." Flawed, broken and shameful yes, but it's aware that it is.