Has the hardware in smartphones improved over the last couple of years, or is it just the Apps that have improved?

• Obviously it has

If you take a look at the kind of hardware on you iphone 4, it doesn't compare to the iphone 6 which has finger scanners and improved touchscreen and et cetera. How could an improvement in apps lead to such a dramatic change in only 2 years. New cpus are being developed all the time, imagine the size of the cpu in an apple watch.

• Nbn nm nm

Nm mnm hghf hehehehemgb jfefnejk jfhejg jgjke gjglke egegk gkejgen j nn jje njej je jjjke kjflejf jfljk efjefjek jfjekf ffjek fjefejfke ejfel fke fkejkjf jfkejlke fjelfje efjelfke fopefpeo j jfee fejfe fjef jf jfje j j j n n n n n n n n n nf enf en en

• Smartphone hardware is still in its infancy

We've only had mass produced, well functioning smart phones for around 5 years now. I think the technology is reaching a point where the hardware won't get much better, but we're not there yet. Desktop computer definitely reached that milestone a few years ago. Processing power finally caught up with demand, and Moore's law of transistors doubling every few month is no longer true for desktop computing. Smartphones are fast approaching the limit of what we can pack into a compact device.

• The hardware and software improved drastically

My Samsung Note 2 is 1.6Gh 4 Cores device and it runs VERY competent Android. I ran production banking application on far lesser systems! My device provides SUPER RELIABLE internet connection with backup/failover link: wifi/cell, it has every application I would use on PC, it has AMAZING screen clarity and resolution. It has FULLY capable Kingsoft office FREE! Its software is dirt cheap, even the most sophisticated (some of titles I paid $3-5 are HUNDREDS of $$ PC or Mac. It's ALWAYS with me. It knows zillion tricks that no PC can do. It acts as remote to my Panasonic tv, GPS equipped camera (of extraordinary quality), camcorder, sound recorder, music player, professional training device, book reader, netflix, stunning chess partner (Shredder), videophone and 1000 other things.
    I do use and own both modern PC laptop and Mac, but I do have them only because I produce professional content. Otherwise I would not bother with having PC at all. My Note 2 has HDMI and takes Bluetooth keyboard, acts as pointing and typing device, stream movies and does everything. The future is smartphone+big screen tv.

• The hardware has definitely improved, but it improves in waves instead of a steady straight line.

Smartphone creators try to get the most of the hardware as possible. If they do not have new buzzwords to sell the product or major improvements to show, then they often stick with the same hardware. In the last couple years there have been lag points where the technology hadn't moved in quite a while. But once a selling point is found, the technology improves rapidly. The last year has shown this with the 1ghz jump and then later with the dual-core advancements. In essence smartphones have increased 4-5x in power in the last year alone. By comparison, the year before that saw very little increase.

Posted by: KnownEvan
  • Hardware in smartphones is sophisticated and complex, much more than it was a few years ago.

Hardware in smartphones has advanced greatly in the last few years, as evidenced by faster processors, micro HDMI ports that allow for the connection of a phone to a TV, and increased camera resolution. Additionally, increased battery life and 3D displays indicate that hardware, and not just apps, has improved over the last few years.

Posted by: AwakeNelson58
  • I believe the hardware has greatly improved over the years to keep up with the end users needs, as is evident by the processing speeds in today's phones.

When looking at the smartphone market, it is easy to think that just the software and applications have improved, when the underlying hardware has been growing at an accelerated pace. Smartphones of a few years ago ran on processors in the 500 megahertz range and had less than 64MB of memory. Earlier than that, you had devices that ran two separate circuit boards, one for a phone, and the other for the hand held device. The current generation of smartphones are coming out with dual core processors developed by giants, like Nvidia, Motorola, Qualcomm, and many others. Sporting speeds of over 1Ghz per core, memory of at least 256MB, and storage in the multi-GB range, this new crop of devices can outpace some older computers. Touch screens have also greatly improved, thanks to Apple's influence in the multi-touch area. Now, supporting accurate finger tracking, they are a huge step up from the stylus-driven models of a few years earlier. Clearly, the hardware of smartphones has kept up with the explosive growth on the software side.

Posted by: BreakableTory86
  • The hardware in smartphones has improved because, years ago, smartphones didn't even exist.

Years ago, smartphones didn't even exist. Now, there is such a great variety of phones to choose from and features that they can have. Whether you choose a Blackberry or a Droid, there are so many different options to choose from. While the apps are always a plus, the actual phones are much better than they were.

Posted by: HealthyMose59
  • I think it has mostly been just the apps improving because, without the apps, you have nothing but a fancy phone.

I know the phone's screens have gotten bigger, they have more memory, and they now have dual cams, but I think that we could have had all of that a lot sooner. The apps are what makes the smartphone smart. Without apps, you would just have a phone with a big screen and dual cams. I do not think the phones themselves are going to get much better, not without making them too bulky to carry. The phone companies need to concentrate on making the apps run better.

Posted by: 5c0tJung
  • The hardware has improved over the past few years because phones can do more now.

Over the past few years smart phones have begun to replace most forms of previous technology. When they first came out smart phones could do little more than one task at a time, but because of the increase in hardware capabilities the phones can now run multiple apps. They can perform multiple functions without slowing down the user experience.

Posted by: M0r3Interior
  • I'm stuck in a child labouring factory

Help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls help me pls

• Smartphones have had improvements in hardware over the years, while the apps still use the same base programming.

Smartphones have became faster and more efficient over the years, compared to apps. Apps use the same base they have been using for the past couple of years. The only thing that can be improved about an app, is making a new app. With the iPhone, every year it gets smaller, lighter, and new features are added to it, like cameras, or, especially, face chat.

Posted by: StatuesqueBarry59