Has the materialist world changed the concept of success?

• Materials corrupt people

The materialist words has changed the concept of success by alt people no longer set meaningful goals they now set their standards so low to achieving things that an everyday person can get they try to compensate for something that they know they cant do just to make themselves feel better

• materialist world

Your neightbour has a bigger car and I’m only driving in a small old car. A bird likes to show off its feathers, but, how far can you show off? Am I automatically being categorized in a lower class, which makes my neighbour have the right to look down on me? Or am I a human who deserves equal respect and equal right on feelings and ideals? Which are not connected to me on products but rather how mankind is really made?

• Yes, the world has surely changed.

Money is the major quality that one sees and not the talent you see. It used to be that what people determined their success. Now, success is judged based off of what people have. Instead of how many degrees someone has, people now care more about how big their house is or how many cars they have. The world should get back to the old way of life.

• Yes, the more we focus on materialistic goals, the less we think of success as involving character.

It used to be that success involved having a good character, being reliable, honest, and trustworthy. Now, we hold up as role models people who have made a lot of money or acquired many material goods. Children strive for material success, with very little concept that you can also be just as much a success by becoming a nurse, a humanitarian volunteer, or an ordinary person who is decent and moral. The distraction of getting and taking care of ever-changing "cool" consumer products has changed our concept of success.

Posted by: R3yGoobIe
  • I do think a rise in materialism has resulted in a skewed concept of success in modern society as compared to the old American dream of a small house and a single family car.

I do think that society's increasing materialism has changed the world's perception of success. There was a time when simply owning your own home and car was considered success. Now, because of the high visibility of millionaires and billionaires alike, people no longer view mere self-sufficiency or even financial security as success.

Posted by: ToughEfrain26
  • I agree that the materialist world has changed how we view success because, now, success is based on what one owns.

It used to be that what people accomplished determined their success. Now, success is judged based off of what people have. Instead of how many degrees someone has, people now care more about how big their house is or how many cars they have. The world should get back to the old way of life.

Posted by: HealthyMose59
  • Money matters more

The world is chasing not for success but actually for money. In today's era of dog-eats-dog, people wants to own a lot of materialistic things they could brag about. Its only we who have changed this concept of success. Nowadays a person is judged not by his ideology or knowledge but by his smartness in marketing. Intellectual, highly qualified people living in some balmy environment do not come in the picture of so-called success.

• Yes, it's a materialistic world. Success is all about how much you have got.

In a world which is increasingly becoming materialistic, success is surely measured by the materials and money one has got. Hardly you'll find people appreciating success in terms of values and qualities. Anyone who owns high-priced things is a successful person, it doesn't matter how they got it. Corrupt politicians are regarded as successful people despite of the fact that they siphon off a huge sum of public money into their pockets. I have been reading news about researchers proving how, even women judge men by their wealth.

• Success is about how much money you own

Gone are the days when success meant achieving something someone truly desired nowadays success is measured in the amount of money it got you. It's all about the status and materialism and less about the achievement. Like it or not we are all sucked in this idea and the word success automatically synonyms with money these days

• Too many misconceptions.

All the time teenagers in school are told that in order for them to be successful they have to go to college and graduate with a degree which puts a lot of unwanted pressure on teens. In the same scenario that means if they are going to college that also means that for them to be successful to have a "high class" job like sitting at a desk in a large office building working ridiculous hours to earn their "fortune" that they "need" to be successful.

I feel that this is nothing more than stupidity of the masses. Success is not something that can be definitively defined as a whole. Success is a measure of one's own accomplishments. It can't be limited to this robot style of thinking by saying that a college degree is necessary for success. Every time you achieve a goal of yours that is a success. If it doesn't feel like success to yourself then it is not success.

• Has'nt for me.

I agree that most people gauge their success with respect to the property, money or car they own. But , they are all dillusional. What everyone is looking for is expansion, evolution its a natural process. Real evolution is the evolution of the soul, understanding onself is the biggest success. This success brings peace, love and harmony and makes life worth living.

• No

I believe that societies views of success have most definitely been molded by materialists, but people in their day to day lives realize what makes real success and genuine personal fulfillment is about the littler things in life. People who use materialistic goals to gauge success have serious issues that are most likely tied to self-worth and self-confidence. Anyway, I don't think materialism has changed individual concepts of success on a general level.