Has the media been glorifying homosexuality with excessive publicity?

Asked by: Rhett_Butler
  • "Equal rights" are OVERDONE

I can agree with people being homosexual, but I certainly do not think that they should be considered superior to straights. The media constantly is talking about gay rights, etc. A basketball player came out and said he was gay, SO WHAT? The people supporting it always say that being gay is perfectly normal and socially acceptable, yet they talk about gays ALL THE TIME. They aren't above average, it's called EQUAL RIGHTS. If it's normal, why does that basketball player get all over the news? You don't see straight people on the news, so why should they get to be? The media takes this issue too far.

• The media has been glorifying homosexuality with excessive publicity, and having done so, has been successful in promoting the homosexual lifestyle.

Homosexuality has been glorified in the media (To cause to be or seem to be better than the actual condition: Merriam-Webster) in a manner that presents absolutely no negative connotation, with only positive viewpoints that would encourage an undisputable acceptance. The act of glorification involves heavy emphasis on positive aspects of a concept, while toning down or eliminating the negative traits of said concept altogether. This is exactly what has been done by the media in regard to the topic of homosexuality.

1: Homosexuals in the media are portrayed as affluent or otherwise prominent individuals in order to illicit a positive perception from the audience, when in reality, this is not the case.
    Http://inplainsight.Nbcnews.Com/_news/2013/05/31/18581353-the-truth-about-gays-and-money?Lite
    The process of making the LGBT population seem "affluent" to the population is a technique that is tried and proven by social media. By believing someone is from a higher class background, we are more likely to admire them for who they are, more so than someone of an impoverished or otherwise average background. As an example, I provide you all with the normalized obsession with the lives of Hollywood celebrities. By glorifying homosexuals in a similar manner, they receive respect easily from a populace that actively seeks information from social media outlets.
    (The Sociological Quarterly: Vol. 19, No. 1, Winter, 1978)

2: Homosexuals are portrayed in an almost idealistic style regarding body form, when actuality presents evidence that "Women of minority sexual orientation are disproportionately affected by the obesity epidemic, with nearly three-quarters of lesbians overweight or obese." (Department of Health and Human Services, US Gov)
    http://projectreporter.Nih.Gov/project_info_description.Cfm?Aid=8324507&icde=15499915
    We’ve all seen the countless stereotypes surrounding lesbian women-slim, sexy, and unattainable. The reality is, however, that the massive majority of lesbian women are clinically obese, and nobody feels the need to correct the glorified stereotype. This is another direct factor of proof that would suggest that our media glorifies homosexuality.

3: The health afflictions associated with the homosexual lifestyle (beyond aids) are completely ignored. There are health risks that are "SPECIFIC" to this population, which are washed out to the fullest possible extent by the media, leading us to believe that homosexuals have a singular, clear intention of “love,” and nothing more. In reality, of course, sex is a frequent but disregarded factor. As such, it presents many unique health risks involved in the required sexual acts.
    Http://www.Cdc.Gov/lgbthealth/about.Htm
    http://gawker.Com/5811493/the-real-reason-gay-men-dont-get-fat

4: Excess. Media has shown a promotion of homosexuality that is highly disproportionate to the actual US homosexual population. Homosexual television prevalence directly promotes homosexuality.
    Http://thinkprogress.Org/alyssa/2012/08/30/774151/glaad-network-responsibility-index/
    Straight from the horse’s mouth:
    “Among the 19% who reported that their feelings toward gay and lesbian people have become more favorable in the past 5 years, 34% cited ‘seeing gay or lesbian characters on television’ as a contributing factor,” –The Harris Interactive Firm.

Glorification and Excess of homosexuality exists in the media. As a result, they have led to the promotion of the gay lifestyle. For better or for worse has nothing to do with my argument.

I rest my case.

• Of course it does.

Of course it does, society thinks it is completely normal and right. They praise it will holidays and endless talk about its justice. We do not have hetrosexual holidays, wonder why? Because there is nothing to praise about it. The only thing worth praising it homosexual activity, Ad hom. Truth be told, it is plain sickness and is nothing worth praising.

• Yes they are !!

Modern Media (Hollywood,Mainstream Media etc.) is mainly controlled and dominated by neo-liberal ideologies which promote atheism, open border policy and no morale society.....According to they`re philosophy moral values as we know are not acceptable because the human has the right to do whatever it wan`t without consequences which would cause a total anarchy in the society.

• Yes they are !!

• The Age of Sexual Consent

We have the same issue here in the UK, not just with disproportionate homosexuality in soap operas but disproportionate liberal agenda across the board. I can't think of one single TV drama or soap opera that has a heterosexual couple with a solid 30 year marriage and two kids who are drug free and work hard and are also heterosexual. Every character is either divorced, cheating, has screwed the neighbours wife, the kids are lesbians, the husband has been gay raped, etc etc the list goes on and on. Have writers lost the ability to create drama with heterosexual characters? I feel like my children are growing up in a world where they are FORCED to believe that homosexuality is right. Where do liberals get off telling us what we should believe, I thought the whole concept of liberalism is free speech and free thought. I would like to raise my children without a disproportionate amount of their information intake being consumed with pro alternative sexuality ideas or for that matter the promotion of any thought process, taste, or decisions about how life should roll. This is partly the reason why we have an age of sexual consent in any civilised country - young minds should be fully developed before making decisions about sex, sexuality, careers, belief systems, philosophies, religion, political stance, and many many other items. I know many non-heteros believe they were born that way and that's fine for them to believe, I believe otherwise and there is empirical evidence proving that socio-environmental factors rank way higher than genetics in general when forecasting a child's future, so please don't tell me that nobody "turns" gay through evaluating their choices, presented to them by a media, currently overly presented.

• It's Obnoxiously Everywhere, Even in Educational Material

I just finished helping my son with his Spanish homework. The lesson for today feature a gay couple talking about how long they've been going out. I just see that has a very underhanded way of promoting sexual immorality. While a person may have no control over what thoughts randomly pass through their minds, they absolutely have control over what they do. Saying that homosexuals have no choice over what they do is like saying that it's okay for married men to have affairs with other women, because they had no control over themselves. Sure, married men may not be help to help that they find other women attractive, but they can absolutely control whether or not they have an affair.

• Robot Chicken metaphor

I feel like the chicken in the opening scene of the adult swim show robot chicken. Forced to watch all this homosexual garbage as the media laughs. I dont mind gay people but for the love of god can I watch a TV show nowadays without a homosexual relationship on display.

• Gay as Fashion

It is fashionable to support and promote the gay life. That's what the media does. It rams it down everyone's throat (pun intended). I have lived and worked with gay and lesbian persons, and mostly they're just living their lives and paying their bills like everyone else. It's the media that thinks they're doing some great service to gay, racial, and other causes. No. They want to sell advertising. They don't care about gays, blacks, or anyone else.

• Out of Control and Spreading like a Disease.

Yeah it is getting a little out of control at least that's my opinion on the matter; and I could honestly tolerate it if it weren't reaching over to children related stuff, for example wanting to make make a "Lesbian Disney Princess" and actually wanting "Elsa" from from 'Frozen' to be the one.

PLEASE BACK OFF FROM THE INNOCENT!!!!

• Are You Kidding?

The media, so far as I have seen, is not glorifying homosexuality, it is reporting on public opinion. They are showing same-sex relationships as what they are, a normal behavior that is present in numerous animal species.

Also, the claim that they are receiving "excessive publicity" is inane. If you were being denied rights because of your height or your hair color, you would be screaming at the top of your lungs, and rightfully so. We deny the LGBT community rights because of who they love; that is worth all types of publicity.

• Not at all!

The reason there is a lot of media coverage on homosexuality is because there is a lot of things happening around homosexuality these days. It could be a new state or country legalizing same-sex marriage, the suicide of a bullied homosexual, some crazy person saying something about homosexuality, etc. As for heterosexuals not being given publicity, that's because they're not or have they ever received injustice based on their sexuality.

Posted by: WSB
  • Yes. Perverts are not heroes or heroines

Whoever controls the media seems to have an obsession with promoting homosexual perversion and pedophilia. They think they can desensitize the general public to perverted acts by constantly re-iterating that the perverts are penalized apparently to garner public sympathy. Its time the general public called them out on their designs, and start calling a pervert a pervert !

• I was born in the closet, and so was everyone else

A current popular debate is on whether the media has been glorifying homosexuality with extra publicity.

Would you like to know what gets queer people "glorified" on the news? We are attacked in the streets. We are killed. If straight people want to exchange places, then go ahead, by all means. I'd love to be part of the majority.

Not to mention that we still get the less than a quarter of air time on Tv shows. Turn on your Tv right now. Select a show. Chances are the main character is straight, and even if they aren't, how many shows have queer characters that aren't just there to prove the producers aren't homophobic? How many of those characters still portray offensive and misleading stereotypes? How many have more character development than just their sexuality?

And a side note: how many shows realise that there are more sexualities than gay and straight? Where are those portrayed?

Now, let's switch over to another form of media - advertisements. Flip open a magazine - I want you to look for any sexual or romantic ad. Now tell me, is the couple same-gender or heterosexual? Flip to another page. Look again.

In all of my life I have never seen an ad portraying couples who aren't straight, unless the target audience is the LGBT+ community, specifically. I don't think you realise how damaging this is, especially for queer youth.

Kids already grow up with this implanted concept of heterosexuality - I didn't even know queer existed until I was 15. You are raised with this prescribed idea that if you are a boy, you like girls; if you are a girl, you like boys. We are implicitly told there is no other option. Your parents expect you to be straight - that's why we have to "come out", remember? Even worse, we ourselves believe it.

Growing up, we start to have feelings for others - feelings that are no more sordid than those of our heterosexual peers - feelings that are never mentioned or explained by parents or teachers. Distant relatives still ask me if I have a boyfriend, immediately assuming that I like men, and how am I supposed to tell them otherwise? We feel as though we're alone, and this is just the best case scenario.

Worst case scenario: parents who know about queer kids, and brazenly discuss their imagined "slights" in front of their children. Then, growing up queer doesn't just foster uncertainty, but breed fear and self-hatred as well.

The media's occasionally positive portrayal of queer people is one of the things that helps rally support for what still is a fight for acknowledgement, acceptance, equality, and respect. Until we have those things, I say the world needs to do whatever it takes to break down these closets that we are born in.

• I Was Born "In The Closet" and So Was Everyone Else

The media's mostly positive portrayal of queer people is one of the things that helps rally support for what still is a fight for acknowledgement, acceptance, equality, and respect. Until we have those things, I say the world needs to do whatever it takes to break down these closets that we are born in.

• Perhaps the media ought to drive homosexuality back into 'the closet'?

Media reportage on issues relating to homosexuality normalises being gay and suggests to members of the public that it is acceptable to be gay and to want to come out to family and friends. How can the media be excessive in their coverage of homosexuality? Because a radio feature on gay marriage lasts longer that the proportionate 5% of air time that ought to be spent discussing the sexual minority?

Can you not bear the coverage of stories such as Tom Daley 'coming out', even if it means that somewhere in the world a closeted gay teenager manages to pluck up the courage to tell his parents and friends without fear of any retribution? Change the channel if you must, listen to a different station. Put it all out of sight and out of mind. But know that gay is okay. This message should be pushed at the highest level, with the media as a means to broadcast the idea.

Only when the last few bigots in the world finally throw the towel in and admit that queer bashing is not okay can the media be described as 'glorifying' homosexuality. And only then can its coverage of homosexuality be considered 'excessive'. Until such a time, the media are simply fulfilling a public service through their discourse. Of course the media wish to highlight the positive aspects of homosexuality when historically homosexuals have been spurned and hated within societies across the globe.

Equality. Equal rights. It is time to redress the balance, and the media are key to moving things forward for all of us.

• Glorified? Or perhaps desensitized?

I am not exactly certain---I wouldn't say glorified. I would say the media is helping (or hoping) to desensitize the negative connotations of homosexuality. See, straight people who oppose the LGBT pride movements often cry out, "There's no straight coverage! You don't see me shouting out my straightness!" Because....It's not news! History is rampant of known and "out" heterosexuals who encompass the majority of the people. And there's nothing wrong with being proud of your heterosexuality. Be a heterosexual! It's just as beautiful. But.......It's not newsworthy.

As for media, like television and movies, I see positive and negative portrayal on all aspects. Shows such as Family Guy or sitcoms that parody all gay men as flamboyant (when many are masculine or at least neutral) and lesbians as butch and studs. The portrayal's aren't always accurate. I can say of the gay people I know, very few meet the standard media portrayal of gay men or women. Some do for sure but I wouldn't say the majority.

I hope that one day people won't even notice when two men kiss on television---but if it happens now, you better believe they'll be some nasty comments on YouTube the next day!