Has the media been glorifying homosexuality with excessive publicity?

Asked by: Rhett_Butler
  • "Equal rights" are OVERDONE

I can agree with people being homosexual, but I certainly do not think that they should be considered superior to straights. The media constantly is talking about gay rights, etc. A basketball player came out and said he was gay, SO WHAT? The people supporting it always say that being gay is perfectly normal and socially acceptable, yet they talk about gays ALL THE TIME. They aren't above average, it's called EQUAL RIGHTS. If it's normal, why does that basketball player get all over the news? You don't see straight people on the news, so why should they get to be? The media takes this issue too far.

• The media has been glorifying homosexuality with excessive publicity, and having done so, has been successful in promoting the homosexual lifestyle.

Homosexuality has been glorified in the media (To cause to be or seem to be better than the actual condition: Merriam-Webster) in a manner that presents absolutely no negative connotation, with only positive viewpoints that would encourage an undisputable acceptance. The act of glorification involves heavy emphasis on positive aspects of a concept, while toning down or eliminating the negative traits of said concept altogether. This is exactly what has been done by the media in regard to the topic of homosexuality.

1: Homosexuals in the media are portrayed as affluent or otherwise prominent individuals in order to illicit a positive perception from the audience, when in reality, this is not the case.
    Http://inplainsight.Nbcnews.Com/_news/2013/05/31/18581353-the-truth-about-gays-and-money?Lite
    The process of making the LGBT population seem "affluent" to the population is a technique that is tried and proven by social media. By believing someone is from a higher class background, we are more likely to admire them for who they are, more so than someone of an impoverished or otherwise average background. As an example, I provide you all with the normalized obsession with the lives of Hollywood celebrities. By glorifying homosexuals in a similar manner, they receive respect easily from a populace that actively seeks information from social media outlets.
    (The Sociological Quarterly: Vol. 19, No. 1, Winter, 1978)

2: Homosexuals are portrayed in an almost idealistic style regarding body form, when actuality presents evidence that "Women of minority sexual orientation are disproportionately affected by the obesity epidemic, with nearly three-quarters of lesbians overweight or obese." (Department of Health and Human Services, US Gov)
    http://projectreporter.Nih.Gov/project_info_description.Cfm?Aid=8324507&icde=15499915
    We’ve all seen the countless stereotypes surrounding lesbian women-slim, sexy, and unattainable. The reality is, however, that the massive majority of lesbian women are clinically obese, and nobody feels the need to correct the glorified stereotype. This is another direct factor of proof that would suggest that our media glorifies homosexuality.

3: The health afflictions associated with the homosexual lifestyle (beyond aids) are completely ignored. There are health risks that are "SPECIFIC" to this population, which are washed out to the fullest possible extent by the media, leading us to believe that homosexuals have a singular, clear intention of “love,” and nothing more. In reality, of course, sex is a frequent but disregarded factor. As such, it presents many unique health risks involved in the required sexual acts.
    Http://www.Cdc.Gov/lgbthealth/about.Htm
    http://gawker.Com/5811493/the-real-reason-gay-men-dont-get-fat

4: Excess. Media has shown a promotion of homosexuality that is highly disproportionate to the actual US homosexual population. Homosexual television prevalence directly promotes homosexuality.
    Http://thinkprogress.Org/alyssa/2012/08/30/774151/glaad-network-responsibility-index/
    Straight from the horse’s mouth:
    “Among the 19% who reported that their feelings toward gay and lesbian people have become more favorable in the past 5 years, 34% cited ‘seeing gay or lesbian characters on television’ as a contributing factor,” –The Harris Interactive Firm.

Glorification and Excess of homosexuality exists in the media. As a result, they have led to the promotion of the gay lifestyle. For better or for worse has nothing to do with my argument.

I rest my case.

• Of course it does.

Of course it does, society thinks it is completely normal and right. They praise it will holidays and endless talk about its justice. We do not have hetrosexual holidays, wonder why? Because there is nothing to praise about it. The only thing worth praising it homosexual activity, Ad hom. Truth be told, it is plain sickness and is nothing worth praising.

• It is simple

As long as television and media can get ratings and money out of it they will continue to push it. Here is the thing I really don't care what people do within​ the privacy of there own bedroom. Plus everything has become pc because of this my God you say one off color remark or a joke you're​ labeled public enemy number one, just because you are gay doesn't grant you special privileges.

• It is simple

• Gay agenda is overbearing, and it's wrong

You idiot, a man sticking his thing in another man is vile disgusting thing, procreation does not happen from gay intercourse, it's wrong, there's such things like values and moral fabric, the country used to have it, now it's contaminated with liberal agenda, on purpose, people in power do not care about gays or any group, they are used for political or social reasons

• Putty pushing gets chocolate coated by the media

So what's next after gays are normalised and all the statues in The world are torn down and all the injustices of the past have been swept under the carpet's the media then going to let it go. No the next thing will be brother and sisters on tv crying because they love each other and can't get married. Mother and son devastated because they love each other and want to marry. People being sued because they voiced their opinion the media also seem to have an agenda to make it seem that only religious people are against homosexuality while most people are morally abhorred by the thought of same sex, sex but are actually too afraid to say it because it has been glorified as same sex love on tv. The fact is that homosexuals are highly promiscuous , the act is not morally acceptable to most but it is literally being" chocolate "coated by the media because it's an industry full of drama/drag queens

• Its all over the place

Every time you turn on on the radio or TV, they're banging about it. If it's not gays it transgender. There is definitely an influence from the gay mafia. The majority of religions esp the monotheistic ones are against homosexuality. It is an abomination but has now been normalized by the media.

• Too many tv 'compares' are thrust upon us speaking with a 'gay lisp'.

WIth the amount of men speaking with a 'gay lisp' in the media of tv and radio you would think that the majority of 'normal' speaking people find this acceptable and amusing. I would propose that it is not.
    Being gay is nothing to be ashamed of, nor is it something to promote. We are all different to a certain degree however generally we keep our differences to ourselves so as not to offend others.
    Live and let live but do not promote your personal differences on mainstream tv when it is clear that the majority of people are not like you, and, may find it offensive and certainly not amusing.

• TV trys to 'Normalise' homosexuality

We turn off the TV as soon as this brainwashing stuff comes on - I have children and I would hate to see them ruin their lives by being brainwashed in this way. At the end of the day i would like grand children to look forward to seeing not having to visit my own chidren in hospital because of some aweful Sexually transmitted disease.

• Are You Kidding?

The media, so far as I have seen, is not glorifying homosexuality, it is reporting on public opinion. They are showing same-sex relationships as what they are, a normal behavior that is present in numerous animal species.

Also, the claim that they are receiving "excessive publicity" is inane. If you were being denied rights because of your height or your hair color, you would be screaming at the top of your lungs, and rightfully so. We deny the LGBT community rights because of who they love; that is worth all types of publicity.

• Not at all!

The reason there is a lot of media coverage on homosexuality is because there is a lot of things happening around homosexuality these days. It could be a new state or country legalizing same-sex marriage, the suicide of a bullied homosexual, some crazy person saying something about homosexuality, etc. As for heterosexuals not being given publicity, that's because they're not or have they ever received injustice based on their sexuality.

Posted by: WSB
  • Yes. Perverts are not heroes or heroines

Whoever controls the media seems to have an obsession with promoting homosexual perversion and pedophilia. They think they can desensitize the general public to perverted acts by constantly re-iterating that the perverts are penalized apparently to garner public sympathy. Its time the general public called them out on their designs, and start calling a pervert a pervert !

• I was born in the closet, and so was everyone else

A current popular debate is on whether the media has been glorifying homosexuality with extra publicity.

Would you like to know what gets queer people "glorified" on the news? We are attacked in the streets. We are killed. If straight people want to exchange places, then go ahead, by all means. I'd love to be part of the majority.

Not to mention that we still get the less than a quarter of air time on Tv shows. Turn on your Tv right now. Select a show. Chances are the main character is straight, and even if they aren't, how many shows have queer characters that aren't just there to prove the producers aren't homophobic? How many of those characters still portray offensive and misleading stereotypes? How many have more character development than just their sexuality?

And a side note: how many shows realise that there are more sexualities than gay and straight? Where are those portrayed?

Now, let's switch over to another form of media - advertisements. Flip open a magazine - I want you to look for any sexual or romantic ad. Now tell me, is the couple same-gender or heterosexual? Flip to another page. Look again.

In all of my life I have never seen an ad portraying couples who aren't straight, unless the target audience is the LGBT+ community, specifically. I don't think you realise how damaging this is, especially for queer youth.

Kids already grow up with this implanted concept of heterosexuality - I didn't even know queer existed until I was 15. You are raised with this prescribed idea that if you are a boy, you like girls; if you are a girl, you like boys. We are implicitly told there is no other option. Your parents expect you to be straight - that's why we have to "come out", remember? Even worse, we ourselves believe it.

Growing up, we start to have feelings for others - feelings that are no more sordid than those of our heterosexual peers - feelings that are never mentioned or explained by parents or teachers. Distant relatives still ask me if I have a boyfriend, immediately assuming that I like men, and how am I supposed to tell them otherwise? We feel as though we're alone, and this is just the best case scenario.

Worst case scenario: parents who know about queer kids, and brazenly discuss their imagined "slights" in front of their children. Then, growing up queer doesn't just foster uncertainty, but breed fear and self-hatred as well.

The media's occasionally positive portrayal of queer people is one of the things that helps rally support for what still is a fight for acknowledgement, acceptance, equality, and respect. Until we have those things, I say the world needs to do whatever it takes to break down these closets that we are born in.

• I Was Born "In The Closet" and So Was Everyone Else

The media's mostly positive portrayal of queer people is one of the things that helps rally support for what still is a fight for acknowledgement, acceptance, equality, and respect. Until we have those things, I say the world needs to do whatever it takes to break down these closets that we are born in.

• Perhaps the media ought to drive homosexuality back into 'the closet'?

Media reportage on issues relating to homosexuality normalises being gay and suggests to members of the public that it is acceptable to be gay and to want to come out to family and friends. How can the media be excessive in their coverage of homosexuality? Because a radio feature on gay marriage lasts longer that the proportionate 5% of air time that ought to be spent discussing the sexual minority?

Can you not bear the coverage of stories such as Tom Daley 'coming out', even if it means that somewhere in the world a closeted gay teenager manages to pluck up the courage to tell his parents and friends without fear of any retribution? Change the channel if you must, listen to a different station. Put it all out of sight and out of mind. But know that gay is okay. This message should be pushed at the highest level, with the media as a means to broadcast the idea.

Only when the last few bigots in the world finally throw the towel in and admit that queer bashing is not okay can the media be described as 'glorifying' homosexuality. And only then can its coverage of homosexuality be considered 'excessive'. Until such a time, the media are simply fulfilling a public service through their discourse. Of course the media wish to highlight the positive aspects of homosexuality when historically homosexuals have been spurned and hated within societies across the globe.

Equality. Equal rights. It is time to redress the balance, and the media are key to moving things forward for all of us.

• Glorified? Or perhaps desensitized?

I am not exactly certain---I wouldn't say glorified. I would say the media is helping (or hoping) to desensitize the negative connotations of homosexuality. See, straight people who oppose the LGBT pride movements often cry out, "There's no straight coverage! You don't see me shouting out my straightness!" Because....It's not news! History is rampant of known and "out" heterosexuals who encompass the majority of the people. And there's nothing wrong with being proud of your heterosexuality. Be a heterosexual! It's just as beautiful. But.......It's not newsworthy.

As for media, like television and movies, I see positive and negative portrayal on all aspects. Shows such as Family Guy or sitcoms that parody all gay men as flamboyant (when many are masculine or at least neutral) and lesbians as butch and studs. The portrayal's aren't always accurate. I can say of the gay people I know, very few meet the standard media portrayal of gay men or women. Some do for sure but I wouldn't say the majority.

I hope that one day people won't even notice when two men kiss on television---but if it happens now, you better believe they'll be some nasty comments on YouTube the next day!