Hate crime laws: Should acts of hate be criminalized?

• Hate crimes worse

All crime is bad, particularly if its effect is bodily or emotional harm on innocent people. However, I believe it is worse to commit a crime directed at an entire group of people (i.e. homosexuals or african-americans) because it is aimed at both an individual and a community. More people are hurt by the act, and it is more likely to have been an innocent person

• Yes, to a degree.

Depending on the act, sure it should. I think that open hate or molestation based on race, religion, nationality, age, gender, or something like that should surely be criminalized, but people tend to get to offended about everything and obsessed with political correctness that I'm not sure if it would be a good idea. I mean, I'm sure there are people out there wanting to put a "hate speech" label on the use of "Xmas" instead of "Christmas." So, I say yes, but we have to be very careful about it.