Have social networks replaced real-life relationships?

• Social networks is making us lazy and human interaction non-existant.

Social Networking is a great way to keep in contact with people who live far away that you do not see very often. However, it has turned into a way to communicate with people who live right down the street. it is slowing taking over all face to face contact with friends. Why get up and go down the street when you could just send them a message?

• Yes, for many younger people.

The key to this is watching that tv commercial where the youngster in the family thinks her parents are anti social and lonely because they only have 10 friends or so on Facebook. While they are out with real friends doing fun things, she is talking with "friends" on screen.

• Yes they have

Yes social networks have replaced real-life relationships to some degree because people are spending more time on Facebook and Instagram and PlaystationNetwork then they are with real-life people and so when you look at it in that aspect it has. Maybe in the future there will be even more social networks.

• Technically it is both because the issue of it being bad or good is so relative. But I lean more towards yes.

I almost voted 'no', it should be brought into consideration that a quarter of the world doesn't use electricity, and therefore don't use social networking. It is different in the richer, more industrialized countries, however, and that is where I make my argument. First of all, the 'no' argument is very strong. There are perks to social networking; easy long-distance communication, reconnecting with old friends, saving time and paper. It makes both small and large businesses easier to run, research easier, and in the case of an emergency we can communicate with people in an instant. As children grow up with all this convenience around them it is becoming very normal to be dependent on technology. The reason I almost voted 'no,' however, is not because I don't think social networking replaces real-life relationships, but because I don't think it is a widespread phenomenon yet. It will be, someday, just as book-printing, telegrams, Morse-code, and phones were all thought to be excessive at some point and eventually became very normal, so too will social networking. (as seen with email and texting) But not quite yet. I give it about ten more years before my answer is more of a definite 'yes'.

• For the most part

For the most part social networks have killed real life relationships, that includes friendships as well. Now people can get their social interaction on the computer instead of having to talk with people face to face. People find it easier and more convenient so they never meet up in person anymore. Meeting and talking online can also be cheaper for people who live far apart so it's taken a huge chunk out of real life relationships.

Posted by: jus
  • Some Types of Relationships, Yes

This question has somewhat of a negative connotation, but I believe social media has replaced SOME types of friendships. Think about parties in college where you met a lot of people, got their names, and then decided to be Facebook fiends with them just to boost your friend count. These people will accept your request for he same reason. Some of them will become fair-weather friends, some you may never speak to again. But the record in Facebook retains that friendship, albeit at the lightest of levels.

• Social media can both help and hurt real-life relationships

I want to add that technological progress influences on people's communication. We are less likely to interact with other people outdoors, because why should we go outside if we can just write or call somebody by skype? Many people spend most of their time sitting in the social networks. There are a lot of functions that can help you to communicate with people in the internet. So, that's why we can't deny the fact that social networks really replace alive relationship.

• Yes Yes Yes

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes YesYes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes

• Face To Face Wanted

I find that most men I meet on dating websites do not do the pursuit, they wait for the woman to make all the plans. Why?? I can start the contact but get very frustrated when men do not want anything more than texting or messaging.I have been single for over 7 years and find if I meet men online, they usually want the relationship to stay online. I have tried three or four different websites with the same results each time. If you can't meet someone in person and spend a considerable amount of time together face-to-face then you can't really get to know the real person they are.

• Social networking and it's impact on real-life relationships

I do believe that social networks have to a certain degree replaced real-life relationships, albeit not entirely in a healthy sense. While on the one hand, it does allow people to stay in contact with friends, family, and acquaintances in an easy to use format, on the other, it has replaced modes of contact that are best reserved for a face-to-face setting. One stark example of this is anecdotal incidents of people breaking up relationships over facebook simply by changing their status to "single" without the other partner knowing until they find out by logging in to facebook.

• It's just a way to make things easier.

Social Media isn't there just for entertainment, it's there to make things easier, if you had a relative in another country and you have no time to fly over JUST to speak to them, and when ringing, connections are really bad, and that's when social media steps in, things like skype help make it easier to stay in touch with people abroad, even if they aren't abroad, it saves a lot more time to contact them through social media then going all the way to see them.

• Because We are the Kids of 21 Century

We are intelligent, and know the difference between face to face conversations and social networking. We value both. Social media has always been a way of life for us. We got our first phones when we were six and perfected every feature by we were seven. We are more responsible than ever, we want things fast, we want things better. We have the widest ever social circle and we are always on the move.

• Because We are the Kids of 21 Century

• Social networks cannot replace real life relationships

Social networks have become an integrated aspect of real life relationships. Social networks, however, could never fully replace human interaction. People need interaction for both physical and emotional stimulation over long periods of time. While social media may fulfill those voids temporarily, they can never fully replace them because electronic devices do not feel.

• It's Only A Supplement

I do not believe that social networks have replaced real-life relationships. For any person that feels this way, it is probably because you are addicted to the social media. In my experience social media is only a supplement to other interactions. I check it regularly, but not constantly. To me, it's not a reliable way to communicate.