Hour of Code: Is this campaign beneficial for young children to learn coding?

• Yes, this the campaign to teach coding will be beneficial to young children.

Yes, this the campaign to teach coding will be beneficial to young children. Coding is already proving to be a very valuable skill that carries much worth in the global marketplace. It will be very beneficial to young children for them to learn how to code from an early age.

• Yes, coding is becoming a useful skill.

I believe that it would be beneficial for young children to learn coding as it is such a useful skill in a world where technology is advancing so rapidly. At a young age children are able to learn much more efficiently and so I feel that this would be the perfect opportunity to teach them a lifelong skill such as coding.

• Yes, the Hour of Code campaign is beneficial.

Yes, I agree that the Hour of Code campaign is beneficial to, not only our youth but, teens and adults around the globe. It's a beautiful movement that is only interested in educating anyone and everyone who may or may not have an interest in computer science or programming. Anyone can host a Hour of Code event and if you don't know anything about coding, they will tutor you so you will be prepared to then teach others.

• It can help them.

Most children who play instruments well started doing so when they were young. It is not a secret that the vast majority of engineers grew up with engineers for parents. Children should start coding while they are young, one so that they can create, and two so that they can learn what they want to be.

• I would suggest to do a different programming/coding website or software instead of "Hour of Code"

I am definently one of those people that do believe that coding/programming is important for kids/teens to learn. However, that doesn't mean playing with blocks someone else coded to do. Block codes don't really help with teaching kids how to program for the future, at most it can give a minor concept at most, and it kind of feels wasteful for the teacher's time. What I would suggest to do is to teach children to utilize html/css which will be important as the internet is getting more and more popular and website developing can be used for simple school projects/custom-made portfolios/etc. Or another viable option could potentially be to teach younger children how to code/program with khanacademy at first. It is rather simple to code and it gives whole lots of suggestions on ways to make/develop things to give a better understanding of programming. Older students/teens can use software like "Eclipse" to learn more advanced coding.

Again, I don't hate the idea, it is just that "Hour of Coding" isn't the best way to teach kids how to code proficiently.

• Good idea, but Hour of Code doesn't teach much "Coding/Programming"