How come god can burn people forever and be "perfect" while if i burn a person alive for the same reasons im a "horrible" person.

Asked by: steffon66
  • God is perfect

We cannot compare ourselves to God. First, if you are in this argument, then you believe in God (I assume the Christian God) if you believe in Him, then He has traits and He created humanity. By logic we cannot compare ourselves to Him, we are not in the same league, we could not argue with Him if we were in his presence. We cannot see the sun (another creation) with our own eyes and wish to see God?

Then again, He does not send us to hell, we go there by choice of not following Him, and please don't start with religion because that is not the debate.

• I pick this one

First of all, to clear this up-yes, Hell is eternal, but you do not "burn" in Hell. Hell is not a burning pit of fire as popular media always depicts. It is merely a place where God is absent. Those who are sent to Hell are physically unconscious-meaning that technically speaking, only your soul is sent to Hell. Therefore, pain and "burning" do not exist, because there is no physical punishment. The punishment of Hell is that you are eternally stuck in a place where God's love does not reach. Humans were never meant to be sent to Hell-it was created for Lucifer and the fallen angels. Second of all, God does not send people to Hell by choice. People, by their own actions, must be sent themselves to Hell, Heaven, or Purgatory, depending on the lives they led. God does not control your actions, and he only follows the rules he set for eternal life. Also, you say, if you burn a person alive, you are a "horrible person". In some cases, I do not think you would actually be considered "horrible". Assuming that by being sent to Hell means you are an extremely bad person (God would not send an individual to Hell, say, for merely swearing out loud, or lying to a friend, or committing small sins as such), I feel that the general population would actually consider you a hero, or simply someone doing what he thinks is right. For example, say you burned a child molester or murderer, or someone such as Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, Osama bin Laden, or Jack the Ripper. I doubt you would be considered a "horrible" person, yet I doubt these people are anyway now but away from the love of God, in Hell.

• I pick this one

God doesn't make the choice for people to go to hell. People who don't want God in there life are choosing to go to hell themselves. Follow God and go to heaven or don't and go to hell. Good and bad is cleared up when your a Christian and the rest of the world can think what they want. I choose to follow God so when my life on the earth is over, my new eternal one can begin in heaven

• Awkward...No idea how you want us to answer this...

I can understand what you are trying to do. The very simple fact is that you are not god. You cannot judge a person guilty or innocent. Everyone is born with a test. Whether you have to fight your own sexuality, fight the urge to kill someone, or even stop being a atheist jerk. You will either find your way past this and be deemed worthy of eternal life. Or you will fail and be cast into the depths of hell to join Lucifer in his punishment. There is no middle ground! (unless you are a baby, I assume you are reborn...) It is all your choice sir, I wish you the best on your quest for the ultimate prize.

• I pick this one

• You are a horrible person

Your are burning someone alive. GOD is not burning anyone alive. Hell is where you go when you don't believe and you are dead. Anyways, on earth you are a horrible person. As long as you truly believe, you are welcome in the gates of heaven and only GOD can tell if you truly do believe. My reasoning is because GOD created the ten commandments. As Humans we always sin. Every moment we live we are sinning. We cannot keep the ten commandments. But we must try. Do Not Kill is part of the ten commandments. Burning someone alive is breaking that commandment. When you break a commandment you are sinning. Sinning is natural. There will never be a person you meet that has not sinned.

• There is no burning hell! It simply does not exist!

The word “hell” is found in many Bible translations. In the same verses other translations read “the grave,” “the world of the dead,” and so forth. Other Bibles simply transliterate the original-language words that are sometimes rendered “hell”; that is, they express them with the letters of our alphabet but leave the words untranslated. What are those words? The Hebrew she’ohlʹ and its Greek equivalent haiʹdes, which refer, not to an individual burial place, but to the common grave of dead mankind;

THE Bible indicates - whether the dead experience pain or not:

Eccl. 9:5, 10: “The living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all . . . All that your hand finds to do, do with your very power, for there is no work nor devising nor knowledge nor wisdom in Sheol, the place to which you are going.”
    (If they are conscious of nothing, they obviously feel no pain.)

If you want to know more you can message me :)

• I pick this one

• I agree with you.

Not sure which side means I agree, so im guessing this side. I completely agree with what you are saying. God is considered this perfect person, yet if we do the same as him, we can be considered horrible people, ( god burns someone, he is perfect, we burn someone, we are going to hell.)

• Yes if you agree that god is perfect and we are horrible for doing the same thing. No if you think this is flawed morality.

I think its ridiculous. We burn someone for ten seconds and we are horrible people but god can burn someone forever and hes perfect. There are several things that god does and is considered to be perfect while if we do the same things we are considered to be horrible people. God brings life into the world and leaves some to starve and be raped and sold as slaves and if we did it we would be considered to be horrible people. You think life is all god has to give us to be good while if a parent thought the same thing which some do they are considered to be horrible people. Just one of the many flaws with religion. I cant believe people are still so cocksure that their morality is correct while our moralities have been constantly changing for millions of years. If we are right then everyone before us is wrong. If one before us is right then all of us are wrong. If another country is right then we are wrong etc. obviously people dont know right from wrong. If we would know right and wrong on our own (which some studies seem to indicate that we would as children who havent been taught yet show signs of morality and empathy for others) then why screw that up with religion. Everyone believes and acts as most people around them believe and act. That doesnt suggest free will. So i dont think anyone deserves eternal damnation or to be burned alive because we dont choose our beliefs and when our beliefs arent hurting anybody even if we have free will we shouldnt be harmed. When your not hurting anybody you dont deserve to get hurt and you especially dont deserve eternal torment. That is the epitome of hate. Throwing someone in hell forever. Thats the worse thing that someone could think of and that just so happens to be the perfect punishment? Think about that for a while... Its the worst thing that someone could think about or can you imagine a worse punishment? Now what are the chances that this is actually the perfect punishment for a victimless crime and not just something someone made up? Some of us more evolved people already know that this is not a perfect punishment for anything. In america we are against cruel and unusual punishment and our god is for it. So cruel and unusual punishment makes you bad in americas opinion but makes god perfect. Arent we supposed to be god like? Because god is perfect. Now how can the definition of a perfect god be the exact opposite of the definition of a perfect human in these ways? That doesnt make any fuc*ing sense. The only perople who deserve hell are those who wish it upon other people.

• I will tell you why.

Christianity is false. The 5 books of Moses says in its last book (Deuteronomy) to never add to or change it ever. And that its eternal. And in Numbers 23;19-"God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man that he should repent" so Jesus is Not God. All of the scriptures talking of Jesus are in violation of gods laws. Furthermore Jesus didn't even come close to completing the prophecies of the 5 books of Moses. Therefore, hell does not exist because it was only mentioned in those same books that broke gods laws. And did you really think that you were going to burn for eternity for simply just being the person that God created you to be? An eternity of punishment for not knowing about some dude that died thousands of years ago is ridiculous if you actually stop to think about it.

• God is Awful

First of all I'm not saying you should burn people because it would make you a horrible person. However, the God of the bible is hardly perfect by modern moral standards. He is sexist, misogynistic, cruel, homophobic, evil being who has no business judging anyone when he does such awful things. In my opinion people would be better off without this sort of 'god' as their moral compass because whatever he is, he is NOT moral or perfect.

Shadow-Dragon says2014-09-03T22:08:56.957
Funny question.
steffon66 says2014-09-03T23:44:59.413
No humour intended. Whats funny about it.
Shadow-Dragon says2014-09-03T23:49:18.883
It was just asked in a funny matter, that's why. Also, if people commit major sins and do not feel sorry for those, they get what they deserve.
steffon66 says2014-09-04T00:10:03.450
Matter? You mean i worded it in a funny way? People always tell me i word things in a funny way. And people commit major sins and do not feel sorry for those they get what they deserve. You point being??? And are you saying that people who dont know they are doing wrong when they are doing evil deserve punishment for their evil? I disagree. People who dont know they are in the wrong dont deserve punishment for being in the wrong. Thats ridiculous. Even the jackasses that write our laws are smart enough to know that a person who doesnt know right from wrong is not accountable for their actions. People get off that way all the time. That would actually mean god deserves punishment for their evil as its his obligation to make sure we know right from wrong. Without him teaching us right from wrong there is bound to be evil in the world. And there has been. Slavery misogyny genocide rape murder everything you can think of has been done by people who thought they were doing it for a perfect god. And most people at least dont know right from wrong. How can they when they contradict each other? Facts dont contradict facts. But anyways that makes it gods fault because he created human nature and didnt teach us any better so there is bound to be evil. Why resist a temptation if you think your well within your rights? Thats not your fault. Thats your teachers fault. And gods fault for not providing you with a good teacher. Infact according to most people god has taught us but hes taught us to own slaves whipe out whole civilizations crippling other civilizations, kill kids, torture people for their beliefs and more. But hes perfect and he loves us. Lol thats fuc*ing laugh.
Shadow-Dragon says2014-09-04T00:15:47.773
People commit sins knowing the repercussions. I don't know what you're getting mad about.
steffon66 says2014-09-04T00:20:18.573
Not mad at you. Just mad.... Sry. I get mad when im talking about religion. Thats why i joined this website. Im trying to learn to control it. But you said people who commit major sins and do not feel sorry for those get what they deserve. So i thought you meant they didnt know they were wrong and thats why they didnt feel sorry. I think im with you now. So what exactly do you believe. I promise i will control my anger.... To the best of my ability.
Shadow-Dragon says2014-09-04T00:35:32.687
Okay, I believe that people who commit major sins obviously understand what they are doing. Thus, I do not feel bad for them since they chose that path, and they will have to face their consequences.
steffon66 says2014-09-04T00:40:19.297
I dont disagree with that assuming we have free will but no one knows whether or not we have free will for sure. But do you believe in hell and that horrible people will go to heaven for believing and good people who havent even committed these major sins you speak of will go to hell forever?
Shadow-Dragon says2014-09-04T00:50:48.520
Ah, a common misconception. I believe, and would assume, that non-believers would be sent to purgatory. There, they would be confronted by God. But those are those who never had the chance to believe. I feel like atheists might get a worse punishment. I don't think, though, that normal people suffer in hell forever. Probably only those who have considered major forms of the seven deadly sins, i.e. serial killers, mass rapists.
Once again, if a person asks for forgiveness for their sins, God is forgiving.
steffon66 says2014-09-04T02:06:55.057
Ok so god will forgive you for murdering or raping tons of women but he wont forgive you for not believing? Look at the horrible things people have done thinking they had a relationship with god. Back in the bibles time it wasnt written to be contradicted by its followers like it is today. You were supposed to be god like. The bible says god tortures people for not believing and since i know the definition of an abomination that means he hates them as if the torture doesnt clue you in on that. So their hate was considered to be justifiable. There are several verses that says god hates others. Your view on the afterlife and god seems to be from your imagination because no scripture supports it. And a lot of people use their feelings and imaginations to fill in the gaps and its freaking ridiculous. They think their morality is perfect even though its one of who knows how many that all contradict each other and so they think they know god because they know their morality and that is a reflection of god. They think gods will is revealed to them in their conscience. If thats the case the crusades and the whole inquisition was gods plan. Slavery was gods plan. Racism was gods plan. These people dont know they are in the wrong which makes our evil gods fault and not our own. We dont deserve punishment if we dont know we are doing something wrong and non believers dont know that they are doing something wrong when they dont believe. We believe differently because we feel and think differently. We dont choose how we feel or think.
abyteofbrain says2014-09-04T03:12:26.390
This should be in the forums, not opinions.
steffon66 says2014-09-04T03:31:48.240
Well i see use the opinion section like most people for discussion. And your not responding because you have no rebuttal. Your faith isnt in your own logic your faith is in the people around you and in the majority. But you dont realise that you contradict like 99 percent of people and thats being extremely generous. Its way more than that. Why dont we have a debate?
steffon66 says2014-09-04T03:35:06.990
I usually use the opinion section for discussion as you were just using it for before i stumped you. Thx for practically admitting your loss. This is debate.Org if your not debating then why the hell are you on here. And you were debating before i stumped you.
abyteofbrain says2014-09-05T13:40:53.713
Who the heck are you talking to?