How some local college students are selling themselves to pay tuition: Is this story a sign that we need to reduce the costs of higher education?

• Local College Students Go to Extremes to Pay Tuition: Time to Reduce College Costs?

In a recent story, local college students were described as "selling" themselves in order to afford the often mind-boggling costs of attending college. This is an indicator that higher education comes with much too hefty a price tag. Students shouldn't be performing economic gymnastics just to be able to get ahead in life; it is time to introduce measures that bring down college costs for everyone.

• It Costs A Lot to Go to College

The cost of higher education is a vast one. Almost everybody who attends a university of higher education is swamped with student loan debt soon after they leave the establishment. On top of that debt people find it difficult to pay these vast student loans due to low wages and a terrible job market. The only alternative is to sell yourself to get rid of the debt quickly. Unless we lower the costs of higher education then this "phenomenon" that has been happening for a while will continue and grow larger.

• Yes, the story is a sign that we need to reduce the costs of higher education.

Yes, the story is a sign that we need to reduce the costs of higher education because education should be a human right and specific classes of individuals should not be barred from pursuing higher education. College tuition has been gradually increasing in the United States for decades and something must be done to fix this growing problem.

• No, at least I don't think so.

Yeah sure, college cost a lot of money, I mean I definitely wish that college costed less myself. I might have normally had said yes instead of no in fact. The thing is, whether or not a college costs a lot isn't something we can change, if the student seems to be low on funds then they can just go to a cheaper college. In fact, them selling themselves' to pay for the tuition? My ass! That's just an excuse to become a prostitute or something. Say I'm harsh, I don't care. From what I can tell, you can work part time while still being in college. If you're able to do well enough in this college you're attending, then they will pay you to come! To freaking come to the college, you get paid plenty of money. More than what's needed for the tuition fee and enough to have money left over. "Oh, I have to sell my body so I can pay my tuition fee." Yeah, well why are you doing that while there's some part time jobs open for anyone. Mc Donald's, Burger King, you name it! So then, what's your excuse now?

• We do not need to reduce the costs of higher education

While everyone can agree that tuition costs are high, the constant whining over it is tiresome. There are plenty of options to be able to secure an education without incurring massive amounts of debt. Selecting expensive colleges is a choice. The student has no one to blame but themselves. Either work and save money for college, or choose a cheaper college. And, select a degree and career path that improves the chance of making some real money.