Hyundai and Kia will pay a combined $100 million penalty for overstating fuel economy estimates: Is this punishment adequate?

• Yes, it sends a message.

The figure of $100 million is staggering, and when viewed on balance, is an adequate penalty. The companies had already agreed to pay consumers for the difference in estimated fuel costs, and have acted transparently and fully cooperated with the process. Furthermore, there is evidence that the testing method difference between the companies and the EPA is partly responsible for the discrepancy.

• Penalty to car companies is fair.

I feel $100 million in penalty fines is an adequate amount for Hyundai and Kia to pay for overstating the fuel economy of their cars. I also feel it will be a trickle down hurt to their brand as that is a very unfair trade practice. Misleading comes with a fine and $100 million is it for them!

• Yes, I think this punishment is adequate.

Yes, I think that Hyundai and Kia paying a combined $100 million penalty for overstating fuel economy estimates is an adequate punishment. I think that having to pay a $100 million penalty is a very good punishment. I mean I guess combined, and since they're big companies it's not that much money, but I still think it's a good punishment.

• Hyundai and Kia paying a combined 100 million is not adequate

Hyundai and Kia, as moderately large automobile manufacturers, earn revenues orders of magnitude larger than $100 million. By 1990, Hyundai earned annual revenues of $90 billion. A $100 million payment, split between two large companies, is not a punishment for anything, it would be a planned slap on the wrist.