I am 11 years and I want a Facebook or Instagram. Can I have one?

Asked by: mustacesrule
  • Freedom of Speech!

Facebook and/or Instagram is a form of free speech. Age doesn't matter, someone who is 11 years old are still allowed to express their opinion in any way they want. Facebook and Instagram are included in these forms of expression. Preventing anyone from creating a Facebook or/and Instagram would be censoring their opinion and that's called a dictatorship.

• Sure.. Why not..

Yes sure.. You're still pretty young but hey no one can judge anyone by their ages like for example, "oh ur only 10.. You can't have facebook account because you're still a bit too young." That is just not right. If anyone wants what they want to do, let them have it. No one should judge anyone by their ages. Sure anyone who's below under 11 too can use facebook or instagram but they just need to follow the safety rules carefully or else it won't be too good.

• Sure you could

This is because i don't judge people on their age, i judge them on their intelligence, you seem like you are not that stupid, just be safe. You probably have been warned all about this stuff before and are probably ready to have an account on any social network you want. You should still listen to your parents as it is bound to blow up in your face if they find out.

• Facebook's good but safety first.

Nothing is bad if you know your limits and know where to stop.
    Facebook is a good and easy commodity for staying connected but while doing so you must be cautious about your own safety. Setting up privacy measures could be your first step towards having a good and safe time online with your friends.

• This sucks my mom won't let me have one

• OMG!! Same problem!

OMG!! My mum won't let me have Instagram until I go to high school which is next year. All my friends have it and I want it SOOO bad. I feel you. I want Instagram so badddddd!!! My brother has it and my friends. I want it!!! LET ME MUM!!!

• Yes you can have it!

When I was 10 years old I wanted Facebook but my parents would not let me have it but I knew why because of age and other reasons. So then everyone started getting this thing called instagram and I knew that my parents never heard of it so I just got it anyway without them knowing because I knew if I told them they wouldn't let me get it. And I know what it feels like to not have something but everyone else does and when I have kids when they ask for social media I will let them have it.

• Of course but be careful

I think that there is nothing wrong with it although do let your parents look at it from time to time just to check for viruses, rude pictures and cyber bullying. It would be fine as it is just pictures though on instagram but facebook is a bit old as you can easily bully unlike instagram

• Because you are more mature than you were last year when you were ten!

I stated my argument above⤴️but you are probably mature enough to have an Instagram of yourself and that should be good enough to use a social network and talk with your friends by posting a photo of you in California. You should be able to have fun with friends. Thx bye.

• It's 100% safe

You can go on settings and privacy to make sure people who are not following you to not see the pictures you post and parents can have a account to see what your child is doing and make sure your location isn't turned on.If someone sends you a friend request you can choose if you want that person to be friends with you

• You are not allowed.

The rules of Facebook prohibit creating profiles for people below the age of 13. This is to protect them from dangers such as viruses or sexual harassment. I do not know what kind of kid you are, but even if you can detect such harmful things, their rules still simply do not let you register an account. Even if you did, you would just be banned, possibly banned based on your IP address, which would prevent the computer you are using from EVER creating an account. So, yes, no Facebook for you. I believe Instagram uses the same rules, though I have no idea if that's true. Basically, always read the guidelines and service terms, even if they seem too long for your tastes.

• You are too young

Child, you are only 11! In your age i spent my childhood outside, playing with other children, working in my garden, helping to my mother. Social networks is evil! It has become like a drug! Many adults addicted to it, so what about 11-year-old boy/girl?? There is a lot of interesting and useful things that you can do instead of spending several hours in front of computer.

• No you are too young.

Originally you were supposed to be 18 years old or older to create a Facebook on your own. Then people then people that are 13 or older started to create them. Anything below thirteen is quite strange. Being 11 years old and having a Facebook account makes you more predisposed to sexual offense or relinquishing information that could be potentially detrimental to your life.

• You are not old enough.

You are not old enough to make the right decisions about what and how you post. These are grooming grounds for pedophiles and their net works. Having a laugh and posting photos might be an action you regret in the future. There is a reason that parents let you believe that they do not know what is going on in teenage worlds. It is because they fear admitting not making the right choices all the time. For those parents with young children many did not have the technology to record every minute act of their adolescence. It can be brushed away. For the techno babes of Y2K they don't always have a say about that. If it is not them posting it is a friend or a friend of a friend. Employers check these accounts. Learn to stay private.

• The answer is that it all depends.

I have to trust a mother's judgement about these things. The internet is full of creeps looking to take advantage of 11-year-olds, who generally don't have enough experience to identify the assortment of scammers who come around. I think the best approach is to find a social network, or maybe a way to set up something like facebook, so that the account is strictly restricted to access by friends and family that Mom approves. I'm told that there are sites designed for that, but I don't know what they are; seek someone who can make a recommendation. If the story on security is convincing, Mom will probably go along.

• You're too young.

To expose someone as young as you to the dangers of the internet unattended would be irresponsible. Of course, the fact that you're on DDO implies that you're probably (1) older than 11, or (2) ignoring any parental disapproval in the first place. I can't imagine why anyone would allow someone younger than 15 to have a private social network account. That just seems to be asking for trouble.

• This one is kinda iffy

If you're 11, then maybe facebook would be fine, as long as your parents watch your account and make sure you don't do anything, naughty .... BUT INSTAGRAM? Oh god, don't waste your time there, please make better use of your time, people post nasty stuff on there from time to time, and it's hard to watch over a mobile device!

• A waste of time for someone so young

As an 11-year-old child, you more or less have little to no idea what is appropriate to be posting on social media sites. The fact you think you need a Facebook or Instagram account is just sad. There are much more productive (and not to mention fun) ways you could be spending your time than staring at a screen and trying to create some kind of cool persona for yourself through what you post on your profile. At some point in your life you will be the only one dictating how you spend your time, and maybe you will realize these ones are a useless waste of it.