I am a DSM-5 Chronic Paranoid Schizophrenic. As a genetic disorder, should I have been singled out for abortion?

Asked by: Jikpamu
  • Depends on the Disorder

If the procedure is carried through simply because the baby would not quite be a normal member of society, then yes, that is wrong; choosing to rob an unborn child of its right to a life based on such menial grounds, where a "normal" child would be allowed to live, is morally reprehensible. However, in many cases, the disease or genetic malfunction that the baby suffers from may be a threat to the infant or the mother, Alternately, the life of the child could be made so miserable by its ailment that abortion is just the more humane option. It is up to the parents, as it should be.

• Let your parents decide

Babies are aborted for lesser reasons than paranoid schizophrenia and more practical reasons too (economic) . Parents should understand what they're getting into and choose accordingly, they're deciding for two parties. They not only are responsible for a schizophrenic the schizophrenic has to endure it as well. If parents are not up to it why bring them into this world.

• It always depends.

I do not know you, so I do not have enough information for deciding whether you should have been aborted. Here are the questions whose answers would enable me to decide. (The schizophrenia is irrelevant to my analysis.)
    1) Are you on public assistance of ANY kind (Welfare, WIC, Food Stamps/EBT, SSI/Disability, Section 8 Housing, subsidized Obamacare, etc.)
    If the answer is yes, regardless of schiz, you should have been aborted before being a burden on the rest of us.
    2) Have you ever committed a violent felony?
    If the answer is yes, regardless of schiz, then the world would have been better without you hurting others.
    3) Do you pay all your bills?
    If the answer is no, then you are stealing from the companies and individuals to whom you owe money, and our world does not need thieves mucking things up.
    4) Are you careless or intoxicated while driving, carrying firearms, or doing other activities such that you a hazard to others?
    If the answer is yes, then our freeways and workplaces would have been safer had your mother terminated her pregnancy before your birth.
    5) Are you an inattentive parent who assumes someone else will cover your responsibilities regarding your kids?
    If the answer is yes, then an abortion would have prevented the birth of kids who you don't want and the rest of us should not have to worry about.

On the other hand, if you are self-supporting, honest, responsible, careful, and kind, then we need you in the world to help balance out those who are not (and who should have been aborted.)

• Schizophrenia is not 100% genetic, chances are these genes confer benefits when the person doesn't develop schizophrenia

Schizophrenia is influenced by genes but also environment and chances are its even possible to develop it even if you lack the genes. It's a complex condition that doesn't have a one-for-one relationship with genetics. Hence the odds are the genes involved confer advantages at least when you don't develop schizophrenia.

• Do genetic disorders, family line medical history problems, pregnancy problems, or reasons of convenience ever qualify or justify an abortion?

At one point my illness was very severe. I was on Psychotropic drugs like: Abilify, Risperidone, Paroxetine, Wellbutrin, Topamax, and Buspirone all at the same time. If you could look into the future and say your child would be like that would you abort him/her?

I am glad my parents never aborted me. You never know how things will turn out. I am now on only 1 Psychotropic (4mg of Risperidone) and a medium dosage of that one remaining drug thanks to my faith in Jesus who is the true Doctor.

IMO: abortion is wrong in 100% of cases.

• !? No way!

Killing someone just because they have a genetic disorder is totaly wrong! And beisdes, if you can kill someone before their born just becuase they have a genetic disorder then why can't you do it after their born?! Some people think their killing a child out of compassion becuase it would be impossible for them to lead a completely "noraml" life. But seriously, who are they to judge the value of someone else's life? Hitler killed tons of kids for reasons just like this, and we all gape in horror at that; but why does that compassion suddenly disappear when it comes to an innocent unborn child? Singling someone out becuase they are different, looking at them in a disgusted way and calling them inhuman is totally ludicrous!
    “If a mother can kill her own child - what is left for me to kill you and you to kill me - there is nothing between.”
    ― Mother Teresa

• I support abortion rights but...

There's no "You should get an abortion" it's about if the person who's with child wants to get an abortion. It may be due to a disability the baby has before it is born, but even then, I would never tell somebody that they should abort the pregnancy, it's all about their choice and if they want to. There's no persuasion in these situations.

• Where does it end?

All human life is valuable. If you start saying who can live and who can't, then you are going down a scary path. Abortion isn't the answer for anything. I hate to tell people this. Abortion is just an act of convenience. Abortion should be rarely used. Life is precious.

• Everyone deserves a chance.

I have depression. Even if my parents knew that when I was a fetus they would never have killed me because im their daughter. Sadly some people don't love their children. They think a human life is some choice. These people disgust me. They will kill their own flesh and blood because it's not good enough.

Bullish says2014-07-05T00:22:12.960
How much has been taken away from others in order to treat you?
Jikpamu says2014-07-05T00:32:18.100
They don't call it the ACA for nothing...