Iceland's book day: Should the greater world embrace Iceland's Christmas tradition?

• Yes, we should.

What an amazing tradition the Icelanders have, giving books on Christmas Eve. If the entire world embraced this tradition, we'd have more enlightened citizens and that would have a positive effect on the entire planet. The tradition doesn't even have to be tied to Christmas, it can be adapted to any significant holiday in any region and the positive effect would be the same.

• Yes, it would be beneficial.

Modern society is becoming engrossed in technology and screens. Children are no longer even being taught penmanship in school. It would be beneficial to society for people to become more invested in books again. They are an enriching and traditional experience which are becoming increasingly obsolete, and that needs to change.

• Yes, it should

I love the tradition of giving books on Christmas Eve and the idea of a 'book flood'. Reading is something a lot of people don't do enough of , especially kids, so encouraging that, and encouraging the idea of a book as gift is a great thing. I think more countries should adopt the tradition.

• Yes, I agree.

It sounds like a wonderful tradition, perfect for a winter evening. It is something that I would love to incorporate into my own family’s celebration of Christmas. Remember, 65 minutes reading a day is around 4.5 million words a year and you will have an amazing vocabulary and know lots of things! Watching trashy TV will use a tiny range of words and be baloney.