If a book is claimed to be from God can it contain a bit of error?

Asked by: LoopsEye
  • God is not perfect

If god were perfect, everything he created would also be perfect. Yet supposedly he created humans who are far from prefect. Therefore this "God" must not be perfect. And so any book made by or about him will not be perfect. And seeing as "god" doesnt write books, humans do, I would have to say there are definitely a few errors in it.

• Divinely Inspired doesn't mean Divinely Written

God may have Inspired the bible, so it can be said to have come "from him", however, in reality it is a book like any other: written by men. All men end up making errors, even when given proper instruction. Also it is known that there were many submissions that didn't make it into the Bible. Each book is supposedly made by a different author, and all of them were compiled together to get the New Testament, but the Church decided which books were allowed. So clearly mankind had a greater influence on the content of the Bible than you would think, so since it wasn't made purely by the hand of god, you can't assume that it is infallible

• Of course, The bible contained errors

The bible was a book from God however it was only his teachings passed on to the people of the time where they depicted the stories as they see fit and with that it's like a Chinese whisper. The people who physically wrote the bible could have (And we have found evidence of this) put things into their terms and 'bent the truth' to fit around what they see as socially acceptable such as only wearing one type of thread at once.

• Yes it can

Especially the Christian book of fairytales which is full of contradictions , lies , and error's a plenty it is a work of fiction but still what would you expect from a book which was written down by a Bronze Age rabble of bearded goatherds ? And they still let on to believe in this guy in the sky .

• Aside from all arguments, I can present some examples from the Bible...Internal inconsistencies, if you will.

Is God merciful?

- Jeremiah 3:12:
    For I am merciful, saith the Lord, and I will not keep anger forever.
    - Jeremiah 17:4:
    Ye have kindled a fire in mine anger, which shall burn forever.

- John 5:31:
    If I testify about myself, my testimony is not valid.
    - John 8:14:
    Jesus answered: Even if I testify on my own behalf, my testimony is valid.

Who is in charge?

- Matthew 28:18:
    And Jesus coming, spoke to them, saying: All power is given to me in heaven and in earth.
    - 1 John 5:19:
    We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.

Judge or not judge?

- John 9:39:
    And Jesus said, "For judgement I am come into this world.
    - John 12:47:
    I came not to judge the world

Does one's early work matter?

- Matthew 5:16:
    Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
    - Matthew 6:1:
    Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

Can one "see God?"

- Genesis 32:30:
    Jacob said, 'I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.'
    - John 1:18:
    No man hath seen God at any time.

Love or fear God?

- Matthew 10:28:
    We should fear God
    - Matthew 22:37:
    We should love God
    - 1 John 4:18:
    There is no fear in love

• Just one point no one mentioned so far...

Right away, I don't think there is any god that ever communicated with humans or interfered with anything. But supposed there was one (just for the sake of the question) and it wrote (dictated, whatever) a book, couldn't it be possible that this god made "errors" on purpose.
    If we define a god simply as a being of superior intelligence and power, then it can well have goals that differ from what would be best for us (unlike all monotheistic gods, that mysteriously seem to only care about humans). And then it could provide us with a book full of teachings, which, when believed, lead us only to where this god wants us to be.
    This has nothing to do with "perfection of god" or something. To me it seems more likely that a "perfect god" would be perfect at manipulating other beings to it's own merit than that a "perfect god" should be perfect at comforting us.

• God is unknowable, thus incomprehensible

If God is incomprehensible, and Men are, then of course will have trouble understanding his word. Humans are not perfect. Thus, there is error in the Bible, but since Humans can also come to understand those errors, we can change them for the better of all mankind and religion as a whole.

Posted by: O.Z
  • No Duh! Lol

"A book is claimed," that says humans make a claim, not any sky-bully. So really can a book that people make any claims of contain a certain level of errors? A resounding YES!

People can claim anything of any book, and even if the claim is weak; the claim is still made. A claim says NOTHING of the content.

• Even a child can proof-read.

I don't believe in God, but it wouldn't make sense for a God to have errors in his own book, all-powerful or not.
    A God has the power to go anywhere in the world he wants, he can observe the culture of the land and watch the most advanced sholars at work. If there were a God, he would know what proof-reading is. Anyone who has ever written anything knows what it is and uses it whenever they can.
    A guy who has lived longer than any man, has witnessed the countless achievements and failures of man, has been around philosophers, writers, poets, and playwrights, but can't write one book without at least ten different contradictions and errors? That is a pretty sad god to worship.
    "I can destroy the Earth at any moment, then rebuild the entire thing again, but I can't write a book." Say that out loud and tell me it doesn't seem weird.

• God is perfect

Of course he is, just because the creator is perfect doesn't mean that the creation has to be perfect. Firstly, I would suggest naming one or two of them, Does your Bible contain errors? Yes. The Bible that most people possess is a translation of the Greek and Hebrew copies of copies of the original documents of Scripture. You can imagine, errors have crept in over the centuries of copying. Scribes fall asleep, misspell, take their eyes off the manuscript, and so on. So what types of errors are their in the translated bible? Well there's, Spelling and Nonsense Errors, Minor Changes and so on.. So then we ask, Is the Bible Reliable? Well, the reliability of our English translations depends largely upon the quality of the manuscripts they were translated from, There are as many as 18 second-century manuscripts. If the Gospels were completed between AD 50–100, then this means that these early copies are within 100 years, This means if we are going to be skeptical about the Bible, then we need to be thousands of times more skeptical about the works of Greco-Roman history. Yes, our Bible translations do have errors, but as you can see, less than 1% of them are meaningful and those errors don’t affect the major teachings of the Christian faith, In fact, there are a thousand times more manuscripts of the Bible than the most documented Greco-Roman historian by Suetonius. So, if we’re going to be skeptical about ancient books, we should be a thousand times more skeptical of the Greco-Roman histories. The Bible is, in fact, incredibly reliable.

• Is God perfect or not?

So many people have told me that "God is perfect", "God does not make any mistakes", "It is all a part of his plan." If God makes a a book then it should be FLAWLESS. If God is so omnipotent then he should know if there is an error or mistake. God can see all of our sins but he cannot see there is an error in a book. He cannot be both. So what is it is he perfect or not?

• There is no room for error

If a God existed, then He would be perfect. As his name implies and what a actual God is. With that said, a book describing him (inspired by him, as it claims) would be perfect. As it wouldn't seem fit to make a book about himself that's not accurate. It's only reasonable that a book about God an inspired by God would contain no error since that would be the only way people would know about him.

• As people say, God is perfect, therefore perfection has no mistakes

If God is truly as perfect as people claimed him to be, then he'll be making no mistakes. If a book that was claimed to had been written by the hands of God contains mistakes, then it obviously wouldn't had been written by God.

However, I know of no such book that was handwritten by God. Even the Bible, was written by a human hand. Sure, people can say God told them what to write, but still the hand that wrote the book, was still a flawed human hand.

Even if people said that the first ten commandments were written by God on stone tablets and then handed over to Moses, well nobody in existence today is actually looking at the stone tablets. We're all looking at paper that had the contents copied over by human hands. So those perfect God books, stone tablets, and what not, all that perfection has been lost in history. Today, we only have flawed contents made by man.

• No, it cannot contain any errors.

Because if there is even one error, why even follow any religious literature to begin with? By that point, the book has shown to have errors, and basically anything else can be wrong as well. People have been burned alive over this and tortured. If you want a more modern example, then I can also bring up the numerous people who have been denied basic rights over it like marriage, the right to see their partner in the hospital, and to adopt kids. So, yes, if I should have my rights provoked over a book that's based after a being that I cannot interact with physically or visually, then I would most certainly think that a book representing him needs to follow some higher standards of consistency and editing. Seriously, you'd think an omniscient being would have created a far better editor to represent his beliefs. We need to face facts. Either this invisible man that I cannot hear, see, feel, and smell doesn't exist or he's just kind of bad at his job.

Bullish says2013-08-19T02:09:09.143
It can. But it would be worthless.
AnonyFeline says2013-08-19T03:59:50.843
God did not write the book, but possibly inspired the precepts, ideas, and moral teachings of the writings found in the book.