If a worker realizes they work for a sweatshop should the flee (yes) or stay to change it (no)?

• How You Going To Change It

Real workshops keep you in like a prison. There is really no way to change it, just try to escape. If you are talking about an American workshop, then you can try to change it. What are they going to do, fire you? Most people will just quit because it is not worth their time.

• Yes, sweatshop workers should flee

Sweatshop conditions are typically obvious to those working at the worst conditions at the lowest levels, but others may not initially realize the type of company they are supporting. The best way to effect change is to notify the company, creating a paper trail in the process, before quitting and notifying officials as well as the media. Public scrutiny is a strong motivator and will allow consumers and investors to let their money inspire changes.

• Run Far, Far Away

This is a difficult question to answer specifically with the information given. We must make certain assumptions in order to give a valid opinion, which may or may not apply to particular circumstances. For example, I see little choice but to assume the worker works in the United States, where there are thousands of companies to choose from in most locales should a worker decide they are not satisfied by their current working arrangement. Should this worker live in a less developed country, they may not have the ability to be particular about where they work if they wish to earn a living wage.

Assuming that this person has options, I believe they should absolutely flee a sweatshop. Unless they are unionized, which I believe it is safe to assume they are not if they are working in a "sweatshop," workers have very little power. Workers have absolute obligation to their employers, but their employers have no such obligations to them-- a company can require the sweat, blood, and tears of a worker without giving up much of anything in return. It is not in the employees best interest to stay, and they really have very little way of trying to "change" things. If they are working in a sweatshop to begin with they probably cannot afford to risk getting fired by stirring up unrest among their fellow employees. Low income sweatshop employees are some of societies most vulnerable and powerless, how can it fall on them to make change? I feel that it is society's job to make laws to prevent unsafe and unfair working conditions, and to speak for people who cannot speak for themselves.

• STAY TO CHANGE IT

I personally disagree,When it comes to human rights, anyone in a celebrity spotlight would be a great spokesperson. A celebrity will be able to draw attention to important issues, and increase support for a cause by getting their fan-base involved. Even though I'm personally not a fan of her music, Madonna is a world famous individual, and I think she'd be able to get a lot of money and support for human rights.

• Nothing gets changed by running away.

First off I don't know how someone would not know they were working for a sweatshop. But if they did realize it, then they should stay and change it. Not just for themselves, but for the people who work there currently, and who knows how many others which would have to work there in the future.