If alcohol didn't exist would the world be a better place?

• It definitely would be!

It ruined my dad's life and my family's. It has cost and ruined the lives of thousands annually the world over, via all sorts of incidents, ranging from crime to accidents, even suicide. The only benefit it ever truly had was to be used as a medical aid for wounds, it should never have been mass marketed for recreational purposes.

• Ultimately only causes distress

Alcohol, while apparently claiming in the very short, has many negative effects on people around the user and the user himself. When one drinks, it may have consequences that seem positive in the moment, like relaxed mood and relief from stress, but the effect the user has on other people, especially sober people, is strictly negative

• Such a terrible way for people to deal with their problems

Last night I decided to stop drinking. This was due to a number of reasons, but namely because I hate the social dependence of it. I started drinking intermittently (once every month or two) when I was 15. It was outrageously fun. The euphoric feeling of caring about about nothing in the world but the present moment was something I had ever experienced before. As time went on getting drunk became a much more frequent event. I'm now 18 and have just graduated high school. It's summer! Time to party, right? Maybe to an extent, but it seems to have gotten to the point that any social gathering must involve alcohol. Wake up and go to work or sleep in, get together with friends late afternoon and start drinking. 4, 5 or more nights a week. Even when it's just hanging out with friends and not going to a party, it's all about the beers. This isn't to say that we can't spend time together sober, but more and more it seems like we never do. Using alcohol as a tool to forget about your problems is not okay. Since this regular drinking started I've been so neglectful of the small things in life. This was one of the first major realizations of last night. Before alcohol I had always been a straight A student, and had a 94% average. Since, I've dropped considerably, including almost failing a class and getting an 81 average in grade 11. My room is always messy, I don't keep up with chores,I have a shitty home life; but that's the start of another thing. I come from a family of people dependent on alcohol to get through every single day of their lives, and no small amount of it either. I hate coming home to the constant drunken yelling of people poorly attempting to bury the sorrows of their shitty lives. At last night's event, everyone was beyond ecstatic to continually put back shot after shot of liquor and act like idiots, often to the point of vomiting. There comes a point where it isn't fun anymore. As a musician, my skills are so obviously impaired when I can't even clap a simple beat, something that is definitely affected my abilities when sober. As well, doing this virtually every night is a huge waste of time that could be spent learning, reading, sharing genuine social interactions, exercising, practicing, having much better sex, sleeping; almost anything is a better use of time. So friends, if you are friends, I'm not asking you to join me in this abstinence. All I do ask is for us to be able to share some nights together in sobriety, or in the very least be respectful of my decisions.

• It destroys friendships and family life!

Both of my parents are acholoics amd they get into fights with each other and their friends only when they are drunk. Now they are divorce and have no friends!! If achlole never existed I wouldn't be part of a broken home. I would have plenty of friends and I would be a completely different person.

• A dream world.

This darkness bitter liquid has brought too many troubles to the world we live in such as violence, argument, intolerant, crime, poverty, depression, unhappiness, immorality, insecurity, disease, accident and dead. Without alcohol, we would manage to eliminate all of these social, emotional, family, and global issues and create a perfect world that we dream of.

• Reality with clarity

Life is a challenging and rewarding journey "in reality." Adding alcohol adds chaos and confusion to that journey creating unrealistic fears, twisted egos and false pride. Real rewards may be won by, perseverance, skill, thoughtfulness, giving and compromise when needed. All of these are destroyed or diminished by alcohol. The mind and body should be clear and clean to participate in this wonderful experience with reality we call life.

• Bevy bad 4 u if too much

Without booze we would truly be happy and it will help relationships blossom. There will be Less drink drivers and but that may cause hate mail. But however wine was drunk in the bible on the last supper, so in this day and age it is seen as a choice but it's not always a gr8 one though. Booze free means we can be much more confident as we get older

• Losers drink ok

"Alcohol helps me get rid of stress and makes you happier" wrong, it in fact increases depression and stress the more you drink. "Life is all about enjoying everything" Yes, however, Alcohol isn't the answer, if you resort to this for "fun" then I am sorry, go and recheck your life and what it means to have fun. If you need Alcohol to help you have fun, you must have been dropped as a child. "Life would have been boring" What is more important, having a sustainable future and a good lifestyle or to drink to have "fun" again, there are many other ways to have fun and not be bored.

• Losers drink alcohol

• Alcohol Really Is Wonderful

What is life about? Being safe? Living the longest? Making the most money?......
    No, life is about just living life and not about these other things. Alcohol reminds us of this. It allows us to let loose our inhibitions and experience ourselves as we really are. It's so ubiquitous in the world that we take it for granted but alcohol really is something special. If you want to be safe and healthy then you don't want to take it too often or too much, but it really is something wonderful.

• People would just use something else

If alcohol didn't exist, people would just find something else to intoxicate themselves with. Getting rid of alcohol would not solve anything. If anything, alcoholic drinks formerly provided a safe source of liquids for people who otherwise would have no potable water, so if we are assuming that alcohol never existed, the world would probably be a lot worse place.

• Banning alcohol would not make the world better

No, the world would not be a better place if alcohol didn't exist. The problem is with alcohol abuse and irresponsibility, the latter can not be controlled. Alcohol, in one form or another, has been around for as long as humans have existed, to quench thirst and enhance celebrations. The alcohol does not cause the problems, the people who drink it do.

• Think about it

If the world had no alchol it would be boring. We need to live the life simply anyway people will just end up secretly drinking and get arrested and thoose poor police offficers will ave to deal with it. THINK ABOUT IT. Pubs would decrease and loose money for our econmey THINK ABOUT IT

• Would you be?

Human is the only race able to digest it, so it gives us the title of master of evolution on Earth! We are the best!

Without alcohol and all its previous damage would you still be alive? Without war, disease, crime and blablabla so evil things, would YOU TODAY be there? I doubt about it! It helped, helps and will help to lead us somewhere creating great people, like Einstein, and stupid idiots, like Obama.

So yes, viva alcohol! It brings alive dead soul instead of killing themselves, going on alcohol addiction, reaching the bottom and then getting back on their feet!

• Think About History!

In ancient history, Alcohol had another, underlying purpose along with its effects. Alcohol would kill bacteria in water, allowing a safe source of hydration for the people. If it never existed, imagine how many people would have died of cholera and diptheria. The world would be a completely different place because of the people who wouldn't exist in it. It might be better, it might be worse. I wouldn't roll the dice on that one.

• Dealing with life

These are hard economical times so you want something to deal with all the hardships of life. Alcohol helps with this, I think there should be a limit though as alcoholics do make it worse but for the majority its a good thing. Most people who do drink are usually happier.

• I beleive that the world wouldn't be a better place

The world wouldn't be a better place because of the fact that people would have used another substance (ex. Marijuana, perscription drugs ...). But other people being irresponsible shouldn't be the reason that people that can be responsible with alcohol can't drink the alcohol responsibly. But the fact that fermented fruit can make alcohol means that someone could have easily made alcohol. So if someone can make alcohol someone can abuse it. Just like how people today are making marijuana legal. People can still abuse that and it's not an addictive drug either.

• Civilization Depended on Alcohol

The history of alcohol is long and varied, but it's status as the worlds first true preservative is indisputable. By brewing beer and making wine, ancient societies preserved calories from harvest time for weeks, months, or even years. While we may call alcohol "empty calories" now, that wasn't always the case. In a more strenuous world where food was scarcer there was no such thing. A man who needed 3,500 to 5,000 calories a day for intense manual labor (whether farming, hunting, or Stonehenge building) had to come by that energy somehow or another, and a mug of weak beer with a meal probably added between 125 and 185 calories to the total.

Since the question is premised on alcohol not existing rather than being banned, then I have to say no, because alcohol was one of the inventions that permitted manking to leave the hunter gather lifestyle and settle into villages.