• Video Games should be recognized as a sport.

"Sports: an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Look at that. Video games require skill. Many of them are difficult, and they require quick thinking. Sometimes they include motion controls which involves physical exertion. You might argue that that they don't always have motion controls. And I say video games will ALWAYS have more physical exertion than chess. And you need to be either dexterous or strategic to excel.

• Video games are a sport

You could argue that video games are bad for you, because you sit around all day and stare at a tv screen. But really, video games, at least once in a while, because it's excersizing your brain and how it thinks. Video games, much like chess, requires strategy and critical thinking. Take Portal 2 for example. Glados says that each level is a test, but it's really a cool looking puzzle for your brain. So, it's like " ok I have to get the button with the cube, but I can't just shoot a portal there, because there are so surfaces I can shoot, but there is an aerial faith plate over there and I can shoot a portal over the faith plate and I'm standing on a portal able surface, so I place a portal there and there, and I've solved the puzzle." That took excessively long, but you can see what I mean. I'd like to bring up one more thing before I finish. In the days of that the Atari was popular, video chess was made, which was chess, AND a video game. So, here's a question for you (rhetorical, of course) If this video game is Chess, is it a sport or not? That's up to you to decide.

• If chess is a Sport, Why Aren't Video Games?

As the title says, chess is a sport. It requires strategy, is played worldwide, and is a competitive game. Those same principals can, and are - applied to video games. In my personal opinion, gaming takes much more mental prowess than say chess. You have to learn how your opponents play, you have to practice, and you have to understand the rules of each game - and how each game works. Unlike other sports, such as football, soccer, basketball, and etc. - gaming is not focused on one specific game. There are hundreds upon hundreds of individual games, all with completely different styles and methods of playing. From FPS' to RTS', both that are almost completely unalike - but they all go under the name of 'gaming'. Although some may not like it, and I am not sure why - gaming is now the most popular form of entertainment in the United States, going ahead of the movie and music industry. That's quite a feat to accomplish, and both the movie and music industry have been around for well over a decade - while gaming has only been around for around half of that. The difference between movies, television, and music - is that you aren't experiencing something that someone else is doing, but rather - you are the one interacting in a world where everyone is sharing the same experience with you. If we take all of this in, and add in the facts that there are formal teams, holding formal championships, and with monetary stakes and titles at hand, it would be absurd not to say that video games are a sport.

• Depends on your definition of "sport".

According to chess.Com, Chess is not a sport. According to chesssport.Com, Chess is a sport. If you define sport as, "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." -Oxford Dictionary, then both chess and videos are not sports. If you define a sport as, "entertainment or fun competition", leaving out the physical exertion part, then you could call them both sports. I would say whichever definition you go with, they fall into the same category. They are either both sports or neither sports.

• Video games is not a sport.

Video games is not a sport. It requires sitting on a couch while football, which Is a real sport, requires running and jumping and actually being outside. Yes, video games are fun, but there's no purpose for it other than relaxing on the couch when there is nothing else to do.

• Video games is not a sport.