If god appeared to you and commanded you to murder someone. Would you do it?

Asked by: marac300
  • Yes I do.

Because if the creator tells me to do something no matter how bad it sounds it must be right. Because the person who made all laws can choose who and what law to break. Plus I would feel better knowing that a god does exist and i would devote my life to him.

• Yes. I know it sound bad, but listen

If God tells me to do something, i will do it, when it is to kill another human being, i will ask him a thousand questions, just as the older people in the Bible did. God does not just go and do this without knowing what is on your mind. Anf if it really is God, i know that he can give life and take it, including my very own. God tested people in the Bible to kill, and yes they too where willing to kill, but God stop them, and siad i know just how much faith in you have in me, it could just be a test of my faith, or it could be to save billions of humans in the future.
    We do know what is in the future, only God does.

I will make sure that im not being influence by a false God, and after that, if it truely is Jehovah God, i will gladly kill that person, after knowing why, and after asking my billion qestions.

• Yes I would.

The brief reply is, “This was a unique, unrepeatable historical situation, and we could not justify Israel’s attacking the Canaanites unless God had commanded this by special revelation.” Even so, God had patiently waited over 400 years until the Canaanites would be ripe for judgment (Genesis 15:16) — though this would mean Israel’s enslavement in Egypt in the meantime.

By the Israelite attack on Canaan, God accomplished two things. First, He brought righteous judgment on the deserving Canaanites — a kind of corporate capital punishment. God directed this destruction, however, less against Canaanite persons as it was against Canaanite religion (Deuteronomy 7:3–5; 12:2,3; cp. Exodus 34:12,13).2 The Canaanite gods/goddesses engaged in all kinds of sexual acts including incest and bestiality. Not surprisingly, worshipers of these deities engaged in ritual prostitution — not to mention infant sacrifice and other deviant acts.

In our sex-saturated culture, many people do not seem concerned about sexual immorality and the destruction it wreaks on individuals, families, and society. Our anger may flare up about racism or gender discrimination, but today’s society has jaded our moral instincts when it comes to other soul-destroying activities. God’s anger at a society’s moral and spiritual suicide mission — His saying “Enough!” —turns out to be a sign of moral concern.

Second, God was able to prepare a land for His people to create the proper religious setting to make sense of a coming Messiah who would bring redemption to Israelites and Gentiles alike (Genesis 12:3). Who are the intended recipients of this salvation? Jews, yes, but also Israel’s most hostile enemies — Assyria, Egypt, Babylon, and Philistia (Psalm 87:4–6; Isaiah 19:23–25). What is more, God even incorporated the Canaanites into the new Israel, the true people of God (Zechariah 9:7 [the “Jebusite,” who has been assimilated into Israel]; Matthew 15:22). Killing the Canaanites was not racially motivated; rather, it was theologically and morally motivated via divine mandate.

• Just kill him.

If you meet the Buddha, kill him. —Linji

Obviously if a god-like being appeared to you and wanted you to "murder" someone. It would not be God but just a pretender to the title. Being an atheist, I do not believe in gods so it would likely be someone in need of psychiatric treatment. If, hypothetically, it would prove to be something with god-like powers, if would be more likely to be a demon in disguise as God. Clearly an angel would have supernatural powers as well, Satan was once an angel, demons deceive, therefore it would be a demon or fallen angel who is pretending to be God. Granted, killing it would be a bit extreme so either ignore it or take the meds you shrink prescribes.

• No, Wouldn't Make Sense

First of all, if God genuinely appeared to me, he would make himself known definitively. However, depending on the circumstances of this appearance, I may die in the process, "for no one may see me and live"--Exodus 33:20. However, assuming that God did appear to me, and I did survive the encounter, commanding me to murder someone would not be something that God would do. Commanding murder would be sinful, and thus contradictory.

• No I dont

Firstly, if I experienced the event I would assume that I was experiencing a mental episode. Therefore, the premised is either premised on that it is a God or biased based on your belief if there is a good.

Secondly, the message would contradict the commandment "thou shall not kill". As such, either the bible or Deity is fallible and thus would make the request impossible to action.

• Um no wtf

I wouldn't murder someone simply because somebody told me to. Actually, I'd like to think that I wouldn't murder someone under any circumstances. Even if supposedly 'God' commanded I murder someone, I'd still think that's an extreme and immoral thing to do. Plus, God is God, why wouldn't God murder them? They have the power. In addition to that, I probably wouldn't believe that the appearance of God was actually the appearance of God, I'd think instead that I'd gone insane and seek help.

• I would not.

I would not, as there would be no definitive way for me to know that it is actually God and not some delusion of my own. I would likely visit a psychiatrist and try to find what caused me to see this.

I'm not trying to mock religion, but seriously: How would I know it was actually God?

• How does a deity prove moral authority?

Suppose you saw a burning bush, or any other miracle commanding you to do something irrevocable that went against your values. Suppose that the awe of the experience were overwhelming.

Is that in itself a reason to set aside your own conscience?

Firstly, humans are very good at creating awe in one another, so is awe itself proof of moral authority? Secondly, if mystical experiences are possible, then it's equally possible to have mystical experiences of *poor* moral authority (schizophrenics and drug-users report plenty of these, for example.)

So no matter how awesome, what gives some mystical experience moral authority over us? What establishes moral authority in the first place? Is it quoting tracts from our favourite dogma?

Surely, any con-man can do that.

Disclosure: I'm an atheist. I don't believe in mystical moral authorities at all. But for those who do, how can you tell that a mystical presence is *your* moral authority, and not something else? And would you put your own morals at risk on what I suspect is essentially an emotional bet?

• I'm not a cretin.

If god wants someone dead god himself would do it. It would contradicts the commandment "thou shall not kill". I'll assume I'm suffering from schizophrenia if I ever experienced such an event.

People who devote their life to god to the extremes like murder should be incarcerated and rehabilitated. If they already committed the murder they should be executed within a fortnight. Like Jihad they are scum.

• I'm not a cretin.

• No! No way!

First,I don't think I have the right to take a life. I'm a person,like the others,nobody is superior so nobody has the right take a life. In my opinion even God has not the right to kill somebody.
    Then, if God tells me to kill,he tells me to not obey one of that that phrases from the Decalogue. So if he does that he demonstrates me he is a liar and all that we believed till now about him is fake.
    If he tells me to kill I would turn my back to him and turn away from religion.