If im white and dont want to live in a black neighbor hood does that make me racist?

Asked by: steffon66
  • Of Course You Are

Saying that you don't want to live in a neighborhood because most of the people are black is racist. There may be other reasons to not want to live in that neighborhood that are actually valid (i.E. High crime rates), but saying that it's because of black people is racist. So, to sum it up, you are racist and that makes you a bad person. Sorry the truth hurts.

• Honestly? Not really.

"a person who believes in racism, the doctrine that one's own racial group is superior or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others."
    Being racist means feeling one race is superior/inferior to another. Saying that you don't want to live in a black neighborhood does not necessarily imply that, and there could be many legitimate reasons why you don't want to live there. Typically black neighborhoods are not very good for obvious reasons (actual racism has caused disadvantages these people financially, hence high crime rates) and it would make sense to live somewhere that is financially better.
    If you said something like "I wouldn't want a black neighbor" THAT would be pretty racist because there would be no other reason in that statement for not wanting them other than their race.
    But then again, the reason for not wanting to live there is not directly stated.
    At its worst I'd say assuming that black people would be racist against you is a little racist, but we could say the same (and have it be more true) about a black person in a white neighborhood.

• Choice is what life is about.

We are all allowed to chose what we want in life. There will always be those that disagree with your choice, but society is the one that labels each choice. What does it matter what people think when it comes to where you want to live. I will choose to retire overseas, does that mean I hate Americans?

• It depends on the reason.

Being racist means that you find a race inferior and that you find your race superior to others. If that is the reason behind you not wanting to go to a black neighborhood then yes you are racist. However if that is not the reason then you aren't a racist.

• Depends on your reasoning

Is it a bad neighborhood or not? I dont understand why it would make a difference the color of your neighbors skin color is as long the area is safe and quiet. Its racist if you think yo need to move because you should have a better house than them. Perhaps the cultural differences make you uncomfortable but n, thats still not racism. You have a right to move where you feel safest. Now, its a good neighborhood and you sfkll dont feel safe because theyre black, that can be hurtful and stereotyping.

• Not necessarily. There are other acceptable reasons.

The most obvious reason living in a neighborhood like that is bad is because after so long of being treated as inferior, the black community is still financially struggling, To live with large numbers of poor people is not a great idea- being poor can make people out of necessity commit crimes.

If your reason is that, or similar, it's not.
    If it's about racial preference, it is racist.

• They Don't Care

IMO racism is only truly racist if it offends someone or affects someone. By not living in their neighbor hood you are doing the better thing and avoiding somewhere you wouldn't want to be. You may be racist for other reasons and things that you do, but I don't want to live in an all female sorority (ewww sleepovers). Does that make me sexist? No.