If it could be proven beyond reasonable doubt (~95% certainty) that the Christian God is real, would you become a Christian?

Asked by: Apologist315
  • Of course I would

One would be unreasonable to doubt that level of certainty. In philosophy there are 4 levels of certainty, this being the 4th and most reliable one. Nothing can be proven with 100% certainty besides math and philosophical laws such as the law of non-contradiction. So beyond a reasonable doubt is the best we can get here

• It can be proven

If you truly want to see call on Jesus as your personal lord and savior. You have to really feel it in your heart and mean it, say it loud. Ask him to show you a sign, And he will show himself to you. Anyone who says differently hasn't had an inspired experience and never will because their hearts are stubborn.

• Yeah sure. If you had enough proof.

As long as it was at least 95% certain (Which, by the way, is not certain). Unfortunately no-one has that much proof. Or any proof, for that matter.

So please feel free to try and find such proof, and when you have enough for 95% certainty then I'll listen.

Okay? Good.

• Sure . . .

Now. What proof you got?

. . . . . . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .. . . .

Posted by: TBR
  • Of course you must

Christianity teaches that your soul after death goes to one of two places for all eternity(forget purgatory for now, which is temporary anyway, and always leads to heaven) : heaven or hell. If you accept christ, get baptized and follow the church he created, you will be saved. If you do not, you will go to hell. Anyone rebelling against christ knowing he exists will go to hell. This question is a no brainer, unless you like burning in hell forever. Remember the question wasn't whether you agree with christ, but whther he is real. If he is real then all that he promised about hell and heaven is true. My argument has no rational rebuttal. Thank you for listening.

• If he explained his reasonings.

I would believe in God if there was %100 undesputable proof. Would I become a Christian, as in worship him? FUCK NO. I could never worship a being who flooded the entire earth, let countless people starve, created EVERY DISEASE etc. It's just like Hitler. Yeah Hitler exists, but do I worship him? No. And Hitler killed WAAAAAAY less people than God ever did. And Hitler was a Christian.

• I'm already a Christian

First of all my religion is based on faith in God, so proof is not really a requirement.

Second, who's to say? We might not be discovering God so much as he is showing himself to us in this scenario. God may have a reason to reveal himself on this earth to bring us back to the old ways, or show us new ways. I can't say with certainty that the religion I follow in the future would be Christianity. It seems like anyone who answers yes to this question has some sort of unusual bias towards Christianity. I mean think about it like this. If you were to go up to heaven and talk to God, you'd probably sound like a small child does to us. We don't have a godly perspective, and in a scenario where we approach it even a little, its fair to say that our views might change significantly enough to warrant a new religion, just as Christianity spawned from Judaism.

Thirdly, if we were to prove God is real up to that level of certainty I can't help but think we were proving him to be real all along, but failed to recognize it. Who's to say you would even recognize God as God? I mean sure you can prove he exists but can you recognize the significance of his existence? Maybe, maybe not. Perhaps his form is not something we as mortal humans can even fathom as a being.

• I would not

I would not switch to any other religion and become a christian because I think and I believe that I have 100% belief in my God and I think that every good follower of any religion will have faith in his God, anyways all of the religions give a message of peace and none of them tells to fight with other religions so this is not a big issue.

• No I wouldn't

No because I'm gay and would go to hell whether or not I believed in him. If he came out of the sky one day and said I am real I still wouldn't be Christian because their religion is atrocious. So yeah I need more word. The End. And Such.

• It doenst matter if I become christian.

It wont matter to god if I become christian or not cause. He is not the god of christian alone; the muslims alone; the buddhist and the hindus alone. He is god with no affiliations. If he is the god written and being described in the traditional bible which christians follow today; then is a confused god and might ask: why so many religion? And he will just end up choosing which religion he would fit it.

• God is evil

Even if it was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that God was real I would still not follow him. Just because he would be real doesn't mean he is God. Any real examination of the character of God would show that he is not a God worth following

• What is Christianity?

Religion is one of those nebulous structures that can be reinterpreted, retranslated, and remade over and over and over. If the Christian God is proven to be real, what kind of God is he? Is he the God of the Old Testament, who is jealous, selfish, and murders his own followers for fun? Is he the God of the Catholic Church, who demands material wealth in exchange for salvation? Is he the God of Protestantism, who is willing to overlook the most heinous crimes as long as you accept Jesus? Is he, instead, a God who resents the actions made in his name and will be completely unlike anything we have said of him? What defines becoming a Christian in this case? Is a token belief in God acceptable in his eyes? Do I need to become a monk in order to avoid eternal hellfire? If, instead, heartfelt, unproven faith is necessary to qualify, am I doomed no matter what because I required proof in the first place?

Let's assume all these questions were answered satisfactorily. Let's assume we can narrow it down to a specific representation of God and a specific denomination of Christianity. Instead of sacrificing my own morality for a higher power, I would do what I thought was right and be a good person to the best of my ability instead of selling out in return for salvation. If God won't accept that as enough, he is not a God I want to serve.

• 5% uncertainties are the reason planes fall out of the sky

If God were proved to be real however, I still would not become a Christian. Becoming a Christian involves more than just believing there is a God, it means thanking that God, respecting that God, and repenting to that God. He's a very needy God, like dang, when one is born he/she must be baptised as a way to repent for not knowing who he is. Sure, I will believe He is there but I won't thank him for making humanity, possibly one of the most destructive races on this planet

• If we created sentient life should it be our slave?

Given our remarkable advancement its not hard to envision a time when there is a race of sentient synthetic life that owes its existence to mankind whether its through robotics or biological augmentation. Ethically, does that make it okay to demand absolute power over them? Should they have to ask our permission and forgiveness before every action without fail? I believe the answer that question is no, to loosely quote Issac Asimov's novel "if it has the capacity to comprehend and desire free will then it has intrinsically earned that right". Even if it can be proven a strange and outside force was responsible for our existence, we have the right to demand we are not a slave class.

LittleBallofHATE says2016-02-28T20:19:22.120
Jesus performed miracles in front of thousands of people, yet many still refused to believe. Some people are just like that. There is proof that smoking can kill you, but people do it anyway. Same with drugs. Same with promiscuous sex, and the many deadly diseases one can catch. People are stupid.