If someone mentally assaults you and you fight back with physical assault(to the extent of mental assault) ..Should you still be considered the bad guy

Asked by: Ritik33jain
  • Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me

When somebody physically assaults you and you decide not to care you still get bruised, break a bone, or what ever their assault caused to you. When someone physically assaults you the only "choice" you have for limiting the damage is by resisting the assault or after the assault by seeking medical treatment.

When somebody mentally assaults you and you decide not to care you suffer no harm. You are in full control, you just have to decide that their stated opinion of you doesn't matter to you. Or you could limit how much it matters to you. I understand not wanting to be a "pushover". Still another person's opinion or words is just that. The most I allow it to effect me is that I may find it annoying, and then if they are breaking any rules I may report them to the site administrator to stop that annoyance. If the site administrator doesn't take them down or if what they did is not against the rules to begin with I either decide to put up with them, block them from communicating with me (if that's possible), or I stop using the website altogether and go find another website.

There are other forms of assault besides physical and mental which often overlap with one or both of the two. If someone spreads lies about you that's an assault on your reputation, not just your mind. And reputation can have real effects as far as job and relationship success so I'm not going to say "sticks and stones" for that sort of thing. BUT even then physical assault is NOT the answer. If someone is spreading lies about you sue them. Libel and slander are illegal and you can sue the pants off of someone if they commit those acts.

• Mental assault can be just as and more painful than physical assault

If somebody mentally harassed you and you can't do anything against to stop them or harass them back (mentally) ..Shouldn't you have the right to hit them back to a reasonable amount(if you can)
    I mean In the eyes of law shouldn't I at least be given a chance to explain my reason for physically harassing someone?
    Somebody harassed me mentally without any fault of my own and I fought back(physically) so that he would stop..Why am I still the only bad guy in the eyes of law?! Shouldn't he be considered equally(if not more)liable too?
    Why Shouldn't fighting someone back (physically)who harassed me(mentally) just to get some giggles be considered reAsonable to the extent of mental assault?