If there are objective values, moral truths, etc., did they come from God?

Asked by: ladiesman
  • Without God their is no basis

Without God, their is no basis for moral values beyond that of human society, and values determined by human opinion are subjective, not objective. Even if we were all to agree that murder is fine and okay, it would not mean that it would be fine and okay. These values can't be morally binding if they are just tools for survival, because there are many situations where doing the right thing is not conducive towards survival.

• Yes, but not only that.

First off, we'll have to go with the assumption that their is in fact a God. Which, I also assume that this is easy to understand. We also know that their are, obviously, human morals.

Now, I'd like to start off by saying, that morals aren't something that is learned. Human morals, between good and bad, is hard wired into your brain from birth.

Now, this doesn't mean that your morality is flexible or not.

Depending on the culture you live in, or where you live, it tends to happen that if everyone thinks one thing is right, it's tendency for your own brain to start thinking that way.

But, there is a way to exercise your morality, and make it stronger, and less susceptible to it being changed by society.

This is what the Christian faith does on a day to day basis. They are challenged moral-wise, and they must decide to follow the way of their Lord or to stray from that path. Christians have stronger morals than the average human, simply because they exercise it much more frequently.

Now, did this come from God regardless of your religion?

Answer being, Yes. All humans have the same base morals since they are born. Such as defending loved ones, or creating offspring in an acceptable fashion. However, as stated above, morals can change. In most places today, you must agree with everyone else or you're wrong. It's harder and harder to be right in our world today, simply because of this factor.

For example, if I made the generic statement "Gay marriage is not right", I would get bombarded with hate and flaming, just because you can't state your opinion as freely as you could before.

I, personally, don't see Gay marriage as right, but I won't scream about it every chance I get. Why? Because I can't change human morals all by myself, and God won't change it either. God gives everyone free will, right off the bat. If you want to think this certain way, fine. Alas, not following God's way is obviously, wrong for Christians to do, as they are followers of Christ.

In conclusion, Yes, morals originally came from God, and were hard wired into our brain as a base. However, God made morality flexible, and your morals are allowed to change over the course of your life.

TL;DR
    My final answer, Yes and No. Base morals come from God, but the morals today are shaped in the way humans have sculpted them, and Christians are unchanged by this.

• Yes, where else would they have come from?

Humans didn't create everything. While most things in many religions are true (except about homosexuals being wrong), no matter what you call God, he is the creator of eveything. I will use Christians as an example: the Ten commandments.

As for morals, each person has something else they need to learn about life, and what they need to contribute to the human population, and themselves.

• Objective Morals Do Not Work

Usually an argument for the yes side includes something along the lines of "God instituted the first absolute moral laws in the Bible, Quran, etc. and he is the ultimate judge and jury." This has a few problems, starting with the claim that the Bible is the definitive truth and law, and the first and last of it's kind. This is simply not true, as is supported by modern archaeology. Codes of law have existed for thousands of years before the Bible, and our modern laws and beliefs are still evolving today. God also overlooked a few key elements such as rape and slavery, something that we know to be inherently wrong.

• As an Atheist

Although I was catholic at one time, I do not believe (G)od is the basis for morals. I believe that human advancement through technology and knowledge is morally right, as are any steps to get there. In many cases religion holds society back (some may disagree). As long as we, as people believe in what is right and wrong, we will thrive.
    Anthony P. J.

• Survival of a species.

Though they may appear to be subjective, as they very from person to person, they are actually objectively base. Look at them as a basic set of rules that apply to those in your group(s). As for those outside your group(s), the opposing rules apply. If each person was to make a diagram of people in the various groups they are a part of, each person would include different people. As babies, we tend to develop our first group (family). They give us what we need to survive so we need them. Because we need them, doing things against them is wrong as it may prevent them from giving you what you need. As we grow older, we gain other groups such as friends and later even more groups like neighbors, church groups, or team mates. Within each group, we find something we feel we need so doing things against them is wrong. In contrast, any we feel that oppose our groups, we tend to apply the opposite moral. Basically because may harm us, we should harm them. Any who have read the rules in Exodus can see this contradiction. God says "Thou shalt not kill" then later give reason to kill others.
    If we look at the Ten Commandment, except for those that apply to worshiping their god, the rest are all about survival of the species. Obviously killing is wrong but theft from your group could prevent them from survival, same with lying. Obviously adultery would be wrong because it interrupts their species from continuing.
    Though Christians may claim their god gave mankind these moral truths, the problem is that most other cultures and religions also have similar moral truths without Exodus as part of their religion. Thing is, man is not even unique in having a system of morals. Other species as well have conditional values. Who get killed, who gets to mate, etc. This is because they are linked to survival of a species.

• It would be arbitrary

Proponents of objective ethics have used the divine command theory to back up their position; actions are morally permissible, obligatory or prohibited because of God's will. An opposite viewpoint would be that of Jean-Paul Sartre, who argued that there are no objective values or moral truths because there is no God to conceive them. If morality is God's will, that would make ethics arbitrary.