If they take Robert E. Lee monuments down , shouldn't they take down Abraham Lincolns too ?

Asked by: Mel_Moore
  • None of them should be taken down

I don't agree with Confederate Monuments being taken down. The Civil War is a part of our history and thousands of Confederate soldiers did die. But, Robert E. Lee and everyone part of the Confederate was a traitor to the United States. The Confederacy stood for breaking apart for our nation and inequality, both conflicting with Lincoln's views. He wanted to bring this country together and worked to make everyone as equal as he could. He was the President of the United States. You don't see Paul Revere statues in London, and frankly Lincoln is not on the same level as Lee.

• No, The War Is Over. Let It Stay That Way.

I can understand why some people might not agree with certain aspects of the Confederate history, but I will leave my personal opinions about the distortion of history for a later time.

The bottom line, for me, is that the memorials to the Civil War are just that: memorials. They are there to honor the men that fought and died, for whatever cause. If you choose to do away with such a memorial, you open the door for every war memorial to be reevaluated according to which groups it offends.

If you take away the Confederate memorials, "because they had slaves," then why not take away the Jefferson, or Washington memorials? They had slaves too, and were traitors in their own rights, the only difference is that they got away with it.