If you don't believe in God, can you say, "Oh my God?"

Asked by: Katieee
  • Atheist says yes

I my self am an atheist and say this occasionally.

Am I restricted from a church if I don't believe in Christ?
    If I believe in political party x can't I vote for a member from political party y?
    For me omg stands for shock and awe and not for calling my god.

It's a cultural thing, not a dilemma.

• Of course you can

I have the right to speak and my language is English so according to you question, can atheists say OMG, of course. They are just words. I don't because i don't think its RIGHT but technically i could.

So i end with the final statement that i could say OMG but i don't because i'm an atheist.

• In every respect.

Legally you can.
    Morally you can.
    Publically it's accepted as something you can do.
    In non-religious homes you're often allowed.
    Indeed, saying "Oh my God" might be considered that people who believe in God cannot do it; it can be seen as blasphemous!

So, yes, my friends, yes you can!

• It's just a phrase

Well I'd say that yes, you can. I, an atheist, say it occasionally and nobody ever gets offended. Either way, "Oh my god" is reall just a phrase to express shock. It is somewhat like slang, everybody (most people at least) use it, but nobody ever really thinks about it or anylises it. Of course, you could just avoid any risks by saying, "OMG" instead.

• It's just a phrase

• Why atheists can say oh my god

I say "Oh my god" when I think something is unbelievable. As an atheist I find this very appropriate. Or we can begin saying "oh my gods" since over 5000 gods have been worshiped over time. But not to worry, I'm sure yours is the "right" god or goddess. 😀

• People can say what ever they want.

Most people who say oh my god dont mean it in a religious way anyway. Its like when people say bless you after you sneeze. No one actually thinks they are blessing people and no one gets offended. Just because its against yoir religion to say something it doesn't mean no one else is allowed to say it.

• Swear words and cuss language have no bearing on your beliefs.

Saying f*** (word used as only an example, please don't ban me) doesn't mean your "In the mood", nor does saying S*** mean you need to go number 2.

Likewise, saying "Oh my God" does not mean you believe in God, nor should you be restricted from saying it because your an atheist.

• Going To Hell

If you don't believe in God it is permissible to use the "OMG" because you are heading to hell anyways

The Bible states that anyone without God is going to spend their eternity in a bottomless pit It isn't called earth" either

Try saying Oh My allah in front of a muslim ???
    Why don't you use the expression "OMB" oh my Buddha

Who is your god anyways ???? Who ever he is he never showed up to challenge YHWH

There is only 1 true living God and to use His name in vain is blasphemy

• Going To Hell

• It doesn't make sense.

It doesn't make sense. If you don't believe, then that's okay and Is your choice and stuff. But then why would you say Oh My God if you don't have one? Is it because you are so accustomed to saying it, or is it because everyone else does? Or maybe still, are you trying to tick off your English teacher? :)

• Saying "Oh my God" is offensive outside of prayer.

As a Christian all my life, I hold my God's name above all other names on earth. I believe God created all things and to misuse his name or hear another person who does so is disappointing. If you don't believe in God, don't even mention his name in the statement "Oh my God" cause all you are doing is trashing his name every time you say that. I respect people and their choices but its not like I run around disrespecting other gods names or stuff like that. If I didn't believe in
    God, I sure wouldn't acknowledge him in saying like "Oh my God". Common sense is a blessing. I don't care if anyone feels they should be able to say whatever they want because of freedom of speech because their is also a freedom of religion in the U.S. And the least everyone could do is respect God's name.

• No! Its Like An American Saying Oh I Love Afghanistan!

Understanding and Concept of God is actually inbuilt in a human beging those who oppose it and go against it actually have to train themselves to calim that there is nothing like God. And when they are not concious the words uttered from their Mouth are "OH MY GOD"

SEE THIS VIDEO
    http://www.Youtube.Com/watch?V=zBRk2nfB9zo

• Contradicting yourself big time

If you say "oh, my god" and you don't believe in God then you're contradicting yourself. Especially because you say 'MY god'. I find it funny when people say God is an 'imaginary man' and they make mention of a god when they say omg. It appears silly. I know some people are used to it, but if people are going to argue against a god then they'd want to make sure that they refrain from using omg as it doesn't help their cause.

• I don't really think so

I think it's kind of strange saying you don't believe in God and then say 'oh my god' as you are talking about your God, even though you don't believe in him! I find that you would be contradicting yourself and basically just disagreeing with you own beliefs and morals

rja7 says2013-08-22T12:02:20.427
I once heard Matt dillahunty (host of atheist experience)say when asked the same question"I'm not gonna give up all the best parts of swearing just because I'm an atheist".....That's good enough for me.