If you had a choice, would you give up civil liberties to fight terrorism?

Asked by: SillyKid0609
  • It's the responsible thing to do.

I am ok with losing my right to privacy so that the government can easily find terrorists, and very rarily are any other rights lost. The responsible thing to do in any situation involving radicals who want to take civilian lifes is to pitch in any way they can to aid there government.

• Life or privacy?

The government gives us many other ways for privacy this is for us to live a happy and express our feelings, but look at 9/11. A lot of people died, were talking about thousands. If you dont agree you have something to hide like watching pornography. So which one do you choose life or privacy?

• Yes, we should do what we can to stop wide scale terrorism.

In the USA our constitution defends our most important rights. I would be willing to give up some simple freedoms if it meant that on a larger scale, more people would be protected. In this country we are protected from the major injustices of our freedom, we should all be willing to make small changes for the greater good.

• No. Then what would be worth fighting for.

Benjamin Franklin said a man who gives freedom in exchange for safety deserves neither. My feelings exactly. Terrorism is not new but liberties have been hard fought and paid in blood. To me as an American the thing I value most is not the standard of living or comforts but the heritage of fighting for freedom. I've inherited more than many people have lost. To me it's an insult to be the first generation of Americans to be less free the any of the one's before. Terrorist can take our lives but only we can give away our freedoms. IF terrorists attack those who agree to the question can sign up for jail, the rest of us can sign up to fight.

• Save the Republic

"Anyone who would give up liberty for security deserves neither and will loose both." Ben Franklin.

There is nothing more precious and worth fighting for than our civil liberties. Once you give up even just a little, it is unlikely you will ever get them back. We as a nation have to bring back a sense of personal and civic responsibility. I work with the government, they care about their Job, they don't care about the individual. And the individual is all that matters when it is you.

• I don't believe that's possible.

If giving up my civil liberties *really* did help to fight terrorism, I might have considered it. But, unfortunately, that's not how things work. I don't trust that terrorism or crime is the real reason behind limiting my freedom. But even if it was, criminals and corrupt politicians always find a way around the rules. In the end, the people who're hurt the most are the lawful citizens. It might be able to stop petty small-scale crime sometimes at best, but not enough to justify the negative of the limitation of our freedom.

• You know what a disturb group of people got on a plane and took it hostage with a tooth pick ! 20,000 civilians dead

Isaiah 54:14 In righteousness shalt thou be established: thou shalt be far from oppression; for thou shalt not fear: and from terror; for it shall not come near thee.

Ezekiel 2818 Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee. 19 All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never [shalt] thou [be] any more.

• Civil liberties' importance

Preventing terror is important. However, our liberty are important too. Giving up civil liberty is not only the way to make a safer country. On the other hand, we can give up other things like money or resoarces and make a safer world. Therefore, because civil liberty is important, I disagree to this motion.