If you had the chance to become immortal, would you do it?

Asked by: Bluepaintcan123
  • For the good of hummanity

If I were to live out eternity under good health and have a fully functioning mind I feel I would have to say yes for the sake of Humanity. In life you live long enough to be a true expert in only a few subjects. You can devote your whole life to being an expert in one field of medicine. By you achieve this mastery the majority of your life is over. If you got the chance to live for ever you could be an expert in all fields. You could use your expertise in all subjects to come up with problems that no one could ever come up with.

• A Transhumanistic future

To live in a "as best as it can be done existence" with the choice to end it at will is the best thing ever. To achieve that "most perfect as possible" place, immortality, and to have a wide variety of choices in life in general. That`s what Transhumanism is!

• A Transhumanistic future.

Posted by: Inox
  • There are a lot of books to read

I want to read all the books ever written, and that takes a long time. So I would need to live at least a million years. If I would become immortal, I would have time to read all the books in existence. Plus by the time I'm done I could start again.

• Eternal return (also known as "eternal recurrence").

It is a concept that the universe has been recurring, and will continue to recur, in a self-similar form an infinite number of times across infinite time or space. The concept is found in Indian philosophy and in ancient Egypt and was subsequently taken up by the Pythagoreans and Stoics. With the decline of antiquity and the spread of Christianity, the concept fell into disuse in the Western world, with the exception of Friedrich Nietzsche, who connected the thought to many of his other concepts, including amor fati.

In addition, the philosophical concept of eternal recurrence was addressed by Arthur Schopenhauer. It is a purely physical concept, involving no supernatural reincarnation, but the return of beings in the same bodies. Time is viewed as being not linear but cyclical.Walter Kaufmann suggests that Nietzsche may have encountered this idea in the works of Heinrich Heine, who once wrote:

Time is infinite, but the things in time, the concrete bodies, are finite. They may indeed disperse into the smallest particles; but these particles, the atoms, have their determinate numbers, and the numbers of the configurations which, all of themselves, are formed out of them is also determinate. Now, however long a time may pass, according to the eternal laws governing the combinations of this eternal play of repetition, all configurations which have previously existed on this earth must yet meet, attract, repulse, kiss, and corrupt each other again.

Nietzsche calls the idea "horrifying and paralyzing", referring to it as a burden of the "heaviest weight" ("das schwerste Gewicht") imaginable. He professes that the wish for the eternal return of all events would mark the ultimate affirmation of life:

What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more' ... Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.' [The Gay Science, §341]

To comprehend eternal recurrence in his thought, and to not merely come to peace with it but to embrace it, requires amor fati, "love of fate": My formula for human greatness is amor fati: that one wants to have nothing different, not forward, not backward, not in all eternity. Not merely to bear the necessary, still less to conceal it—all idealism is mendaciousness before the necessary—but to love it.

In Carl Jung's seminar on Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Jung claims that the dwarf states the idea of the Eternal Return before Zarathustra finishes his argument of the Eternal Return when the dwarf says, "'Everything straight lies,' murmured the dwarf disdainfully. 'All truth is crooked, time itself is a circle.'" However, Zarathustra rebuffs the dwarf in the following paragraph, warning him against over-simplifications.

• I think it would be an amazing opportunity, although most would disagree.

Many wouldn't want to have to see their loved ones grow old and pass away, but something like that is inevitable. However, in a situation like this your death would be, which is something you shouldn't waste. The most terrifying thing in this world (at least for me) would be watching your life pass by and accomplish nothing exciting. If you couldn't die, then it could give you the courage to do things you normally would never do, and that is what I would be after.
    Nothing could stand in your way, and there would be endless adventures waiting for you.

• So long as I'm healthy and enjoying life, of course.

Frankly, it is easy to talk about the concept of dying gracefully and accepting mortality as a consequence of life - but I won't lie, death scares me. I don't have many fears, in particular, I'm not afraid of heights or spiders or confined spaces, but I can admit that the concept of absolute nothingness scares me. It scares me, if you'll excuse the pun, to death. I suppose part of it comes because I'm an atheist, and I don't believe in life after death. I think that this is it, this is all there is, our finite glimpse of the universe, and that when it's done, it's done. And I enjoy it, my particular glimpse of the universe, and naturally this makes me afraid that it will end. I think that life doesn't have meaning, that we don't have any inherent purpose - we live for the sake of living. So, I'd like to continue to appreciate nature and life as long as I can. Maybe even forever.

• The Quest for the Fountain of Youth.

Human kind, indeed all living things have always been tethered to aging and death. For all of our mastery of technology and medical knowledge, it is an inevitable, inescapable fate for us to grow old and die. For thousands of years there have been those who would avert this creeping certainty of aging, who would break the cycle of deterioration, death, and decay. The quest for a way to remain young forever has consumed mankind and throughout history, across a wide range of cultures, there has been a strong belief in lost magical springs with the purported ability to restore youth, stop aging, indeed to staunch the inexorable march of death.

The search for eternal youth and a fountain of youth is a frequent fixture of various myths and legends from around the world. One of the earliest accounts of such a place comes from the 5th century BC, when the Greek historian Herodotus wrote of a fountain in the land of the Macrobians, which gave the people of the region exceptionally long life spans. In the 3rd century AD, Alexander the Great was said to have searched for a fountain of youth, allegedly crossing a mythical land covered in eternal night called The Land of Darkness to reach it. The legendary Christian patriarch and king, Prester John, allegedly ruled over a land containing a similar fountain.

Whether Ponce de León ever really did search for the Fountain of Youth, there have nevertheless been stories over the years of those who have claimed to have found it. In 1989, the author Charlie Carlson allegedly interviewed a man who claimed to be a member of a secret society that had located the Fountain of Youth and were tasked with protecting it. The interviewee claimed to be 93 years old, whereas Carlson described him as looking around 40. The man claimed that the fountain had been found sometime before 1845 and that it was his society’s duty to make sure that it remained secret from the world. This anonymous informant reportedly offered proof to back up his claims in the form of census records for all of the members who had lived past 110 years old, of which there were quite a few.

While in modern days it will likely be genetics and stem cells that lead to prolonged life, mankind’s quest for immortality is not new and has taken many forms through the centuries, with various elixirs, magical charms, and famous artifacts such as the Philosopher’s Stone all reputed to grant everlasting life. Perhaps in the case of Florida’s Fountain of Youth there may be such a place tucked away among the many springs that are to be found here. Whether it is there or not, it is intriguing to imagine such wonders, and there will be those who will search no matter what, enamored with the notion that it could be possible to live forever if only they could find it. Maybe there are even those who already have.

• A Transhumanistic future.

• No I would never...

If I became Immortal I would be the only one of my family and friends that would last, I would watch people pass and wars come, desolation would come upon the earth and I, one person, could do nothing absolutely nothing, I would have to stand there and try to make a difference but nothing would come of it. Why would I want to be immortal??

• Immortal means not dying.

One can still feel pain if immortal. Thus, you can be tortured indefinitely. Also, all your loved ones would wither and die before you. You would be permanently depressed. The pain would be unbearable. The only reason I would say yes is if you could give immortality to someone else.

• I would want to be immortal, but people who know me would try to cage me and make an experiment out of me.

If I was immortal, think about all the things people would start to think? They could possibly cage me and never let me go. They might even torture me until I told them how to become immortal themselves. I Do not want to become immortal, for any reason. You'll have to watch all of your friends and family die forever, you'll never be able to. I wouldn't be able to handle this.

• As someone else said, maybe a few hundred years.

There are many things I would love to see. For example, advances in science and technology, art forms, society in general. I'd love to study new subjects and advance my own knowledge and capability to the highest it can go. Learn piano, violin; write a few books, some on different cultures of the world (done after traveling around the world), how-to books for learning different languages and other things I pick up along the way, as well as informative (plus simplified) on science fields and discoveries, and the like; study and become great in medical fields, science fields, engineering; learn archery; become proficient at artistry; read many classics, new aged novels; enter into politics briefly; travel around the world and collect photographs to add into a photo album of those places; learn several languages - French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, German; become proficient at cooking; so on and so forth.

Of course, this would also depend on the quality of the life. I'd rather die than become steadily more wrinkled and weak with old age, becoming incapable of achieving anything in the prolonged lifespan. But, if I had to choose between eternity and a normal lifespan, I have to go with the one I have now. Eternity would have negative effects, like experiencing torture if one were to be caught in the middle of war (possibly), witnessing horrific events, loved ones passing away (this might not be as bad in the beginning for me - I already intend to cut off my family soon; however, later on it could be painful upon meeting new folk that I grow to care for), and just the end of everything as I know it to be.

• Life would lose it's spice.

Being immortal would quickly become boring. There wouldn't be any challenge in life anymore. There would be no sense of adventure, nothing would seem interesting or new, and you would be trapped in a never-ending circle of nothingness. What keeps life interesting is taking risks to discover new possibilities. When you're immortal, these risks mean nothing, so discovering new things is much less satisfying.

• Ethics and Undesirability of immortality.

The possibility of clinical immortality raises a host of medical, philosophical, and religious issues and ethical questions. These include persistent vegetative states, the nature of personality over time, technology to mimic or copy the mind or its processes, social and economic disparities created by longevity, and survival of the heat death of the universe. The Epic of Gilgamesh, one of the first literary works, is primarily a quest of a hero seeking to become immortal.

Physical immortality has also been imagined as a form of eternal torment, as in Mary Shelley's short story "The Mortal Immortal", the protagonist of which witnesses everyone he cares about dying around him. Jorge Luis Borges explored the idea that life gets its meaning from death in the short story "The Immortal"; an entire society having achieved immortality, they found time becoming infinite, and so found no motivation for any action. In his book "Thursday's Fictions", and the stage and film adaptations of it, Richard James Allen tells the story of a woman named Thursday who tries to cheat the cycle of reincarnation to get a form of eternal life. At the end of this fantastical tale, her son, Wednesday, who has witnessed the havoc his mother's quest has caused, forgoes the opportunity for immortality when it is offered to him.[49] Likewise, the novel Tuck Everlasting depicts immortality as "falling off the wheel of life" and is viewed as a curse as opposed to a blessing. In the anime Casshern Sins humanity achieves immortality due to advances in medical technology, however the inability of the human race to die causes Luna, a Messianic figure, to come forth and offer normal lifespans because she had believed that without death, humans could not live. Ultimately, Casshern takes up the cause of death for humanity when Luna begins to restore humanity's immortality.

• A living hell.

Imagine watching everyone you care about wither and die before your very eyes. Then imagine that happening for eternity. On top of that, seeing that you would appear to be the same age, you would eventually make similar connections to all age groups. Odds are, you would spend every weekend at the funeral of someone you know, forever. Assuming you move on after each spouse dies, you could easily go to the funeral of your current spouse, child, and grandchild in the same month.
    Unless you had enough money to live off of, including the rising cost of living, you could never retire so have to work for eternity. You would have to continue to update your skills so you can find work.
    Public reaction to you being immoral would not be pleasant. With the few people that accept it, most would treat you like a freak to be feared or a test subject. You think that society has problems accepting minorities? Imagine if you were immortal. Not only would that affect your daily life, including work but the lives of friends and family, all of whom may be shunned.
    Have you ever heard a new song that you really liked but over time, you just got sick of it? Eventually, that would the case in all factors of your life. Nothing would be fun or even tolerable any longer.
    Eventually, life itself would be so unbearable, you would beg for death because your life would become a living hell.

• No, I am already growing weary

There are many aspects of being immortal that I find terrifying. One is the idea of being stuck with the limitations of the self and this world for an eternity. It is noble to struggle to be better than the limits of oneself even knowing that overcoming those limits is likely impossible. If that struggle were to be made eternal, the desire and fire to overcome and to strive would slowly die. That is a state of existence which I would find intolerable.

• No, I wouldn't mind a few hundred years though...

I wouldn't want to be around when our sun becomes a Red Giant. Maybe there would be a way to get away... But that is a big maybe! And not being able to die while being roasted... Yikes!

I'd take a few hundred years if they were in my prime. Also, as Bluepaintcan123 says... It would be hard to be there while watching loved ones pass. Immortality just seems like a burden to me. Biological creatures are meant to die eventually.

I do not blame anyone who might want immortality, there are many wonderful things someone could accomplish with that type of time (and if they could not be killed by any means they could be a test subject and make wonderful strides.... For Science!)... Just not for me.