If you had the power to see into the future and saw your own death, could you stop it?

Asked by: Support_me
  • Yes and No

I believe navigating fate is like swimming in a river with a strong current. It's difficult and hard to resist the currents. But if your strong and determined enough you can swim in the other direction. Or at least maybe swim off to the side it bit. (I believe most people end up swimming a bit to the side.)

So say I realized that tomorrow I was going to get on a boat that was supposed to sink. Here's what I think what would happen.

I decide to not go on that luxury cruise and instead stay home and cry. That same day I die because my there is a bad storm that floods my house and drowns me or something like that. It happens the exact same time I was supposed to die. Perfect example of swimming off to the side. Still ending up the same but taking a different path.

There is a way to go in the other direction and stay alive I would guess but only that rare, strong human would be able to figure it out and evade fate entirely.

• Wow, good question!

Sitting in my room, I suddenly have a vision.
    In this vision, I am ultra-aware of the details, time, date, and location of my death weeks into the future.

At exactly 12:45 PM
    Flying over the Atlantic Ocean flight #1234 Pretend Airlines - my plane - catches fire and explodes.

No survivors :(

If I saw this, I would not get on the plane. I would not get on *A* plane. I would not drive anywhere that day, that WEEK. I would sit at home, cry a little, and watch Netflix (anything but Final Destination, Knowing, Lost, or United 93 cause you know)

With that said, we are now faced with a dilemma.

If I can perfectly predict the future, that means that we have no control over our lives and everything is predestined - the events leading up to my death MUST all occur in an exact way in order for me to end up on Pretend Airlines flight #1234 and for the ground crew to miss the damage that inevitably causes explosive decompression and the internal fuel leak that causes the fire and my death.

But at the same time, I'm not going to get on that plane! This means one of four things:

The future is fluid and can change - I have cheated death!

I've completely altered the timeline and have created a new "world" - and have cheated death!

I will be forced by fate to board the plane like some sort of strange meat puppet - and die horribly :(

I enter a Groundhog's Day-esque scenario in which I have been ripped outside of the proper timeline until I fulfill my fated flight -and die horribly :(

With the exception of some cataclysmic outcome (such as the universe ending in some paradoxical shenanigans) these are the only options that come to mind.

That being said, all other tales of "prophecies" (if you will) are self-fulfilled because the person trying to prevent an event ends up being the direct cause of it. But this is simply due to a lack of information. Had one had ALL the information, this situation could be easily avoided.

(Some guy tries to kill Hitler and ends up being his dad or something)
    **Twilight Zone theme**

Only because he lacked the full picture. Had he known this to be the case, he might have been able to keep it in his pants. Maybe take one for the team and avoid one of the worst wars in human history?

• Just move away:

So you are going to die by getting hit by a car on Franklin avenue? Move away from Franklin ave. Never go near a Franklin ave. Eat, drink, and sleep on Carlton ave. If someone or something is happening on Franklin ave just get someone else to do it. If you have to go then go in a giant padded marshmallow suit.

• Josh is a fagit

Josh says that it would not be possible but I say that it would, jack also sucks dick, dick and a bit more dick then a side of hairy dick with some black dick and some cheese. Penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis penis

• Yes {in most cases}

Running on the assumption that your death is caused by certain things you can change those certain things. We already have foresight into the end. You keep smoking then things are probably not going to end well and so stop smoking and you have probably changed that future. I don't see any evidence that everyone's fate is sealed.

If you are going to be killed by an unknown thing with an unknown cause then you might have a problem with preventing it. We don't control everything but we do {depending on the specifics} have a fair amount of control over the things that are likely to kill us. Use protection, wear a seatbelt, eat right, go and meet people {benefits of friendships}.

• Of Course You Can

If I'm driving at high speed toward a tree, two things happen.
    1. I see in my future a collision with the tree.
    2. I avoid hitting the tree.

My argument hinges on the equivalence of "seeing into the future" and predicting the future. An obscure distinction at best.

Where I'm I wrong here

• Most likely yes.

In a way, we all see into the future. We routinely make decisions based on what we see as a future even. Example: A game of baseball is full of predictions. The pitcher makes a prediction that the batter won't hit the pitch he is throwing, the batter predicts where the ball will travel and swings the bat to where he predicts the ball will be, and so on. Not all predictions are accurate so events may not happen as predicted.
    If a person could see into the future and saw their own death, they could just avoid the circumstances that put them in that situation. Example: If you have a vision that you are going to die as a passenger in a bus crash, you could take other means of transportation. In this case, you would have only seen the probable future.
    The reason why I said "Most likely" is in the case where it was unavoidable or you had no control over the event. Example: If you already contracted a deadly and incurable disease. Granted, you could decide to take your own life so you don't die from the disease, most probably would not in hopes their prediction is wrong.

• Seeing the future can't change the future

If you saw your own death you could not stop it as if you had the power of the oracle (seeing the future) you would then do what you think is stopping your death. But if you went to the time of your death then rewinded you would see exactly what you're doing now because when you saw the future you basically set it in stone now matter what you do.

• Yes and No

There is a way to go in the other direction and stay alive I would guess but only that rare, strong human would be able to figure it out and evade fate entirely.I believe navigating fate is like swimming in a river with a strong current. It's difficult and hard to resist the currents. But if your strong and determined enough you can swim in the other direction. Or at least maybe swim off to the side it bit. (I believe most people end up swimming a bit to the side.)

• Good question. My answer:

This theme occurs frequently in science fiction. One answer is that you can prevent "future" events from happening because the future is "fluid," "constantly in motion," or because the future you foresaw was only one of many futures, albeit the most likely one based on current circumstances.

However, I disagree. If you had the power to foresee your death, then it would happen despite, or more probably because of, any attempts you could make to stop it. My favorite example is from the Oedipus story, where the parents learn their boy is "fated" to marry his mother and slay his father. Responding in the most logical fashion, they abandon their boy on a mountain so that will never happen. However, a shepherd brings up the boy and he lives safely with the shepherd he thinks is his father until he, too, learns of his "fate."
    So he runs away, hoping to put as much distance between himself and his (foster) parents. Of course, in so doing he ends up meeting his real parents and fulfilling the prophecy.

This demonstrates my point: if history is linear and fixed, then what will happen will happen, and nothing you can do will change it. On the other hand, if (at least future) history is fluid, then anything is possible.
    The latter interpretation I find faulty, as the past is obviously fixed. No one can change what happened then. Why should the future be different? One may reply that the future is different because we are deciding through our actions what the future will look like. That makes sense, but if such is the case, then how come you were able to foresee your own death in the first place? That wouldn't compute, as there should be an infinite number of futures under the fluidity theory, in which case one would have no idea how likely or not the vision was to come true. In addition, such a theory would definitely require an intelligent and purposeful force (such as a god) to decide which future you should view, unless the vision was random.

In either case, you might be able to avoid your fate, your fate might never have been likely to occur in the first place, or your fate might occur anyway, a result of a malevolent deity manipulating you decisions through foresight.
    Such a foreseen future in any event cannot be called "the future" as it is only one of an infinite number of futures.
    Which should have been my main point.

Returning to the "fixed" idea of the future, I conclude that under such a view, changing the future is impossible. The future is fixed, so what will happen will happen.

Does anyone know any good internet articles exploring this?

• No because it might not change

Even if I saw I was going to die one way and I tried to prevent it, I could die some other way trying to prevent the first one I saw. So it isn't really going to help me to know how I would die if I'm going to die no matter what.

• Possibility is existent, but yet, slim.

Even if you could see the future and view your own death, you would still only be able to try and avoid your death. As you try more, you will soon relies that your attempts will change the form of your death ever so slightly. Even if you were to change your death completely, let's face it, your still going to die at some point in life.

• Not sure if I can...

It depends on what my fate is, and the events leading up to that final moment. There is a limit to how much we can control that effects our future. What if I die due to health related reasons that are hereditary? Then how could I stop that? Some things we experience in life are inevitable.

• Not sure if I can...

Vox_Veritas says2014-11-07T22:59:55
Depends on how you were supposed to die. Not so easy to prevent cancer compared to, say, a car crash which is supposed to happen on X day during X hour and X minute. This could be prevented by not being in a car or near the road during that time. In which case, you would die in some unknown manner in the future, having escaped fate this time.
SugarCube says2014-11-08T16:04:52.493
I Rlly Don't Know...