In 1920, 50 to 60 African Americans were killed because one black man tried to vote: Are efforts to prevent black people from voting still taking place today?

• Certainly, just not as outwardly

There is all kinds of voter suppression happening in this country. It's not always as obvious as it used to be, as there are discreet ways of doing so now. Polling places is areas that are harder to get to, less polling places making for farther travel, and even intimidation at polling places are just a few of the things we see. That, in my opinion, is still voter suppression.

• Yes, today there are still efforts to prevent blacks from voting.

Today it would be far less likely to see a violent effort to prevent blacks from voting, but there are many other ways to discourage voting. One can use ads online and on television or radio outlets to discourage blacks from voting or to confuse the matters at hand. There is also the potential for in person intimidation with simply the presence of the right type of person at the poles.

• Efforts to prevent black people from voting are not taking place today

Efforts to prevent black people from voting are not taking place today. At least not on some organized level. The whole concepts of blacks being denied a vote is pure myth and fantasy. It's a charge made by the left to rile up the masses and put a black mark, so to speak, on the right. Shameless ploy, at that.

• Not at all

I would like to hear one law or bill that is proposed or in effect that has any impact on the number of black voters that turn out. The black vote decided the election in 2008 and 2012 as well so I find it hard to say that their voice is not being heard.

• No, efforts to prevent African-Americans from voting are not taking place today.

I think that efforts to prevent black voters are not happening today. When Obama was running for president, his campaign set up many programs to get the African-American community to register and to help them get to the polls. I think that both sides are trying to get as many people to vote as possible and there are many ways and programs that are put in place to make sure everyone is voting.