In 1945, an airplane crashed into the Empire State Building, injuring elevator operator Betty Oliver. She survived the fall when the cable snapped, plunging her 75 stories down. Does technology make elevators safer today?

• Yes, technology does make elevators safer today.

As time goes on and the technology for elevators gets more and more advanced, they are clearly going to get safer. When elevators were first invented, people were very scared of them and I'm sure they weren't nearly as safe as they are now. But since then technology has gotten more advanced, and I trust that the government would place the proper safety requirements on every elevator. I never fear for my life when riding on an elevator.

• Yes, technology makes elevators safer today.

Yes, technology makes elevators safer today because it makes everything safer. Just like cars and airplanes, elevators benefit from new technology. Would anyone want to get in an airplane from the 1950s? Not anymore. We trust new technology, and with elevators it should be no different. Technology improves the world.

• They are much safer today.

Today, there are three times as many escalators as there are elevators but there are a third of the number of accidents on elevators. This is largely because the system is now inbuilt with a number of safeguards to prevent the elevator from plummeting. It would now be impossible to plummet 75 floors as elevators are built for shorter distances now so as not to put too much pressure on the cables.

• No technology adds another level of failability.

No I do not believe elevator technology is making them safer. My reasoning for this is that in the event of a total power failure, technology may render the elevator completely useless. In a disaster, such as a plane crash, it is assumed that the force of the impact to the building knocks out the power.