In a poll asking Americans whether they'd ever been decapitated, 4% of respondents replied that they had been. Are Americans afraid to admit they don't know something?

• Yes, I think so.

This poll isn't worth losing your head over. Some people just don't know the meaning of words and are afraid to admit otherwise. Seeing that 14% of Americans can't read, 4% thinking they've been decapitated does not surprise me. So, use your head, people. Maybe they should've explained that on the poll?

• Yes, some Americans are afraid to admit they don't know something.

Yes, some Americans are afraid to admit that they don't know something, such as the definition of a word. I think that people fear looking uneducated. Instead, they prefer to give the answer they think is expected, and hope that it is correct. We should do more to teach children that it is acceptable to ask questions and to say "I don't know."

• Yes America are afraid to admit they don't know something

I believe America can be rest assured that they won't make costly mistake that will ruin their future generation, as such they will look deeply into their book whether it be Bible or Qua ran to depict their next leader. It a choice of no return, so I believe America are not afraid to choose their next savior, they have done before and are ready to do it again.

• People respond in peculiar ways in surveys.

A previous survey came up with quite similar findings when it asked Americans if the US military should bomb an entirely fictional Middle Eastern country. Most people said that they either agreed or disagreed with the military action and only a few said that they didn’t know. This impulse seems to come from a need to appear authoritative in the context of survey taking as one presumes that if one’s opinion is important enough to elicit then one should make an effort to appear adequately informed.