In some countries, everyone is automatically an organ donor upon brain or cardiac death: Should automatic organ donation become a global standard?

• I'm not sure

At a certain point, once your body is gone, your organs aren't doing anyone any good, so it makes sense. On the other hand, the fear is that if we focus on organ donation, medical care might not be focusing on preserving life, in close cases because of the need for organ donors. It's probably a sound general policy.

• Yes, it should.

Automatic organ donation would solve a great deal of problems and help save lots of lives. As long as people can opt out for religious reasons, automatic organ donation would be a great step towards shortening the organ transplant wait list and would help to save millions of lives in a safe and easy way.

• No, it should be on a voluntary basis.

No, I don't think automatic organ donation should be in place. I like the volunteer system myself. I am designated as an organ donor. So is my immediate family. But I've got relatives who would be very uncomfortable doing this. Each person should have a say on whether or not to donate their body parts after death.

• Needs to remain a choice

Organ donation should remain a personal choice for each person to make. People choose whether or not to donate their organs based on a variety of factors. I personally am a strong proponant of organ donation, and strongly urge others to do the same. However, in order for people to best make this important decision, more education is needed on the topic. People need to see how it works and how much it helps others rather than letting the organs go to waste.