In view of the startling results of Virginia's 7th Congressional District primary with Eric Cantor losing to tea party backed Dave Brat, should mainstream Republicans embrace the tea party movement to survive in the upcoming elections?

• If that's what they feel needs to be done.

I am not a huge fan of politics, but I am aware of the current election and Eric Cantor's loss to the Tea Party. If backing and embracing the tea party movement will help the Republicans survive the future elections, then I feel this is what they should do to feel better.

• No. The Tea Party is too extreme to be viable in the long term.

For all its faults, one of the best things about our winner-take-all two-party system is that it encourages compromise and centrist politics and discourages political extremism. In countries with proportional representation, extremist ideologues such as the Tea Party can get some power in government, but our system forces the two parties to at least try and appeal to the other side. The Tea Party may inspire a lot of energy among the more hardcore elements of the GOP, but it has little appeal to Democrats and moderate Republicans. If not for the perfidious phenomenon of gerrymandering, the Tea Party would have no power at all.

• No They Shouldn't

I believe it is a huge mistake for Republicans to side with the Tea Party. I do not believe this worked for them in previous elections and they shouldn't expect it to help now. The Republican party needs to modernize and come to understand the Millenials or they will fail permanently.

• No, I don't believe they should.

Although the Tea Party movement may be strong in some parts of the country, the vast majority of Americans will never vote for a Tea Party candidate. If the republicans stand a chance at winning the election then they have to go for a more moderate candidate, the Tea Partiers will still vote and they won't lose most of the country that way.

• No the GOP should not embrace the Tea Party in the uncoming elections.

On point being overlooked in Eric Cantor's loss in Virginia's 7th Congressional District primary is the fact that Virginia has open primary elections. This means that any registered voter can vote for a candidate from either party, same as the general election. Mr. Cantor was the victim of a low GOP voter turnout and many Democratic voters choosing to vote for the weakest GOP candidate to improve their odds in November.