In "Waiting for Godot," does Godot represent God?

Asked by: x2MuzioPlayer
  • Godot does represent God.

Think of all the biblical allusions throughout the play, Cain and Abel, the two thieves, the boy who has a brother (one tends to the sheep, the other tends to the goat, and he brings messages from Godot), the boy also depicts Godot as having a long, white beard, which is a typical Christian representation of God. I think what Beckett was trying to convey was that we come into the world without answers, and it's too much of a responsibility to answer them, so we rely on a deity, such as God. Vladimir and Estragon are "waiting" for the answers of their life's meaning from Godot. There are many other examples in the play as to why Godot could be considered God such as the tree that suddenly has leaves in Act 2-this could be the concept of resurrection or hope that Godot will finally come. Also, if Godot DID come, this would mean he is NOT God.

• Why not Both?

I think that Godot can represent God because this doesn't mean that Beckett is trying to emit a Christian aspect into the play. In fact he might be doing the exact opposite, saying "Why wait for God because He probably doesn't exist?" Beckett is sometimes considered a Nihilist... Meaning that he does not think Man has purpose. Ergo, if man if trying to wait for God, this act is pointless. But I also believe that the play can have a lot of interpretations and Derrida says that we should not even attempt reading Beckett's works because the language can be interpreted in far to many contradictory ways. I think you could say the Godot does and doesn't represent God.

• God or Death

In the classic stage play "Waiting for Godot," two men are simply doing that--waiting for something. At one point, both characters try to hang themselves to end their waiting (or possibly end their suffering as a metaphor). They fail to kill themselves. The symbology in the play is enormous, almost like a modern-day "Hamlet." As both Vladimir and Estragon await their fates, they draw closer to the end of their lives which can mean death or meeting God or both.

• Godot represents God

In the time honored American classic “Waiting for Godot”, a play by Samuel Beckett, Godot is the representation of God and the fact that you cannot wait for God to change your life but you have to change it for yourself. This can be seen in the play by the clues the play gives as to what Godot’s real identity is, the fact that the scenery never changes, the day keeps repeating itself and by the fact that Godot never actually comes.

• Godot represents Happiness.

Hope for better life, hope for the solution of the problems that gives happiness. We all are in waiting of that inner happiness. In my view Godot does not represents God because God is a saver and He knows all the things that we need. We can say that He gives us those things that are better for us and not those which are harmful.

• Godot is not God

Sam. Beckkett said: " If by Godot I had meant God I would have said God, and not Godot" so there fore we can see that Godot does not symbolize God. Pow. You are welcome. The debate is over. Good day to all and to all a good night. Peace.

• Beckett Deny That Godot was God

When asked about Godot's character Beckett said that if he had known who Godot was he would have said so in the play. Beckett doesn't even know who or what Godot is or represents, he is just a dude.

Quit looking at the play as a religious experience but instead look at it as a representation of life's way of getting your hopes up and crushing them-- a very Beckett like theme.

That is all.

• Too obvious to be true

I believe that if Godot was a representation of God then it would be too obvious. Beckett would have picked at least a more conspicuous name. I believe Godot may represent the human psyche more so than of any God. Overall, the play is not so shallow as to pick Godot to be the representation of God.

• Written in French

Dieu is God in French, the language the play was written in. Similarity to God was a coincidence, as Beckett later articulated. Competing theories: the Irish "Go Deo" (pronounced relatively similarly to the US and Canadian English pronunciation of "Godot") means "forever"; the name is derived from a French slang for "shoe," godillot. Beckett was kind enough to tell us what it wasn't, but not what it was.

• Godot does not represent God.

After having experienced what Godot is, I fail to see any kind of reasonable or credible evidence to suggest that Godot is indeed God. For this to be true would run counter to what the majority of the story seemed to be about. Godot was not portrayed as a Godlike being.

• No, that's not how I read the story.

To me, Godot represents all that we put off, hope for, plan for, but do not create to make happen. Godot may have the word "God" within it, but I don't believe it was the author's intent to go along the lines of having people believe that they are simply waiting for God to deliver something in their lives. In fact, I think it's the author's intent to get us up and going and seek and find what we want.

• Godot Does Not Represent God

No, I do not believe that in "Waiting for Godot" that Godot is a representation of God. I believe that within the text it clearly states that Godot is not a representation of God and that they play should be viewed differently in that context. There are clues that showcase Godot not representing God to the reader.

• It's Inconsistent With the Play's Message

Getting past the fact that Beckett vehemently denied the interpretation where Godot represents God, the textual evidence supporting this position is minimal at best. Since "Waiting for Godot" is an absurdist play at its core, the idea that we can conclusively say Godot represents God seems inconsistent. In an absurdist lens, knowledge to meaning of the universe is ultimately unknowable and futile to search for. To say Godot is God directly contradicts the entire philosophical concept behind the play. Now, many say the biblical allusions to Cain and Abel, the cross, etc. is evidence for Godot being God. Each allusion, though, is presented where the conclusion in the play goes against scripture. Lucky doesn't kill Pozzo like Cain killed Abel. Vladimir and Estragon never hang themselves from the tree (and never will), so they can't represent Jesus of Nazareth. God isn't a physical entity, but it's clear Godot at least has a physical body, considering he beats the boy's brother. The true inconsistency, though, is the concept that God could exist in the play if absurdism is true. If Godot were the god depicted in Christianity, then Vladimir and Estragon are waiting for salvation. They aren't searching for meaning because the meaning would already be there. At least the way I interpret it, Godot is just another human being in the play. The main characters' search for meaning is futile because they are waiting on nothing, which is why it's classified under the Theater of the Absurd.