IRS's Lois Lerner to testify: Should fifth-amendment rights apply when testifying before Congress?

• It's in the constitution.

Yes, the fifth amendment rights should apply when testifying before Congress, because the Constitution says that someone has the right not to self-incriminate themselves. Whether this right is good or bad, as of right now, it is our right. A person should be able to exercise it, whether or not it is before Congress or in another court.

• Yes, fifth-amendment rights should apply.

I believe that fifth-amendment rights should apply when testifying before Congress. While I am not a big fan of the law, I think that there shouldn't be a special circumstance in regards to when a person cannot use it. I think a person should still be able to plead the fifth.

• Yes, I think they should

I don't think anyone wants to incriminate themselves. These rules should apply to these matters as well. The people need to be protected in certain ways,but I don't know if they apply to these cases. I suppose all you have to do is respond in a way that doesn't inciminate yourself.

• Fifth-amendment rights when testifying

Fifth-amendment rights apply when testifying before Congress if the person really needs to use this method with congress then they should be able to use it. It is a country of freedom of speech and people need to be able to use their constitutional rights to speak freely to congress.

• Yes, rights are rights even in Congress

The fifth amendment right against self-incrimination has been widely used in courtrooms and has been said to also apply to testimony before governmental bodies. While it would be useful to be able to get the information they need from people, rights are rights and should be acknowledged in Congress of all places in our country. It would be interesting to know where this right originated - I would bet it probably was not intended to be used for the purposes it is most often used for these days. Regardless, until the right is removed, it should be respected.

• She is an employee.

Inasmuch as the questions will be limited to her performance on the job, the Fifth Amendment does not apply. Even if she testifies and admits to criminal activity, it does not follow that her testimony could be used in a criminal proceeding. Should the Justice Department bring charges, they would need separate evidence to prove the case. Therefore her testimony before Congress does not fall under 5.