• Marijuana is a Human Right

Marijuana is the single most medically beneficial substance known to mankind. Medical marijuana should be combined with universal healthcare, as to provide marijuana to all people, free of personal charge. This will not only help to eradicate cancer and a variety of other serious ailments, but it will also improve the standard of living in society by just...You know...People being chill.
    Anything that makes access to marijuana less easy is a hindrance to this vision and to a better society.

• The government is being greedy

The government has all the control over legal pot and it's sales, well legal pot. I think it is extremely unfair and quite messed up that the government is doing this. It is just gonna make people go back to buying off the black market. How would you like it if the government decided to put a 25% tax on all your groceries or anything you use or buy?

• Missing the point

Legalization was intended to take it out of the hands of the cartels and al capones, and into a regulated and controlled system. By making the taxes and therefore the overall price so high, it creates a difficulty in transitioning users to the legal route. If the price is that much higher many people may go back to buying from old unregulated dealers.

• Way too much!

It shouldn't be taxed anymore than tobacco and alcohol products. This is just another way for the state government to beef up law enforcement and regulation, and not legitimately help with schools like was promised. I didn't vote for Prop AA because I knew it was too good to be true. Black market will continue to thrive and the only people buying from recreational stores seem to be out of town folks.

• Black market boom for marijuana

Tax it like alcohol. A much worse substance. Why would I pay double the price the legal way when I can buy it off the street much cheaper. No one can afford to buy it from these stores on a regular basis. Gateway drug? Alcohol isn't? If you haven't went to other drugs from alcohol then your not going too. Marijuana is much safer for ADULTS. Kids should stay for away though!

• Yes it is

Not only is a 25% tax on marijuana too high, our taxes on cigarettes and alcohol are also too high. It's time for our government to stop worrying about what we put into our bodies and focus on something more prevelant, like the fricken budget and out of control spending. Stop taxing law abiding citizens to death.

• Yes, a 25% tax on marijuana is entirely too high.

I agree with the idea that marijuana should be legalized, but I don't agree with people who say that marijuana should be legalized primarily for the purpose of heavily taxing it fill holes in the local and state budget, due to the state of the economy. Marijuana shouldn't be taxed any more than alcohol, a similar drug that's actually more dangerous.

• No reason given for the tax structure.

There was never any number provided for the cost of regulation yet a tax rate was given. Looking at the regulatory schemes of other substances (alcohol/tobacco) leads one to believe that 25% tax is way too high. This is a sin tax that they can get away with and so the legislature is trying to get as much $$ as they can. Or, as CO legislature has stated, they are against the legalization and want to do anything they can to prevent this from happening.

• No, 25% marijuana tax is not too high in Colorado.

In my opinion, at least they have allowed marijuana in Colorado, so it they want to put a high tax on it, and make it legal, that is great. Marijuana is still a drug, no matter how you look at it. Now that some states are allowing it for recreational use, it's okay to give it a higher tax. I also think cigarettes and alcohol should have a higher tax.

• Tax on marajuana should be 99%

Pot smoking hippies don't deserve to have low taxes. They don't deserve anything. If we are going to allow them to smoke this damn pot, then we shouldn't make it cheap. TAX THE HELL OUT OF THEM! You damn hippies got what you wanted with having it legalized, so why should you just get everything. Whats next? Gay marriage being legal? Murder? I HAVE NO IDEA?

• Marijuana is harmful, and therefore it needs to be contained

Marijuana, although possibly not harmful on the surface, has many things wrong with it including but not limited to the fact that it is a gateway drug as people think 'Oh, that wasn't so bad. Maybe the government is lying to us about crack cocaine and other drugs.' Given that Marijuana is harmful, the government does need to contain it. If it has been decided that it should be allowed, then we need to make sure it is not as easily obtainable as some may suggest.

• Only because it is a luxury.

I support the legalization of weed and I denounce the fact that it is harmful (the only harmful attribute is the smoking, which marijuana can be consumed other than inhalation of smoke), but since it is not really a necessity such as MOST foods we buy and MOST clothes we buy, they can tax it however they want, it is still up to you to buy it. Tobacco is an excellent example because it still gets excessively taxed because it is not necessary but people still buy it. Due to the demand, the government would never miss an opportunity to increase revenue just to waste it again.