• Yes, a cure for autism is needed.

I'm not here to say it is wrong to be autistic, and I am not here to say people who suffer from autism are "retarded", but the fact remains that autism is a condition that affects brain function. A cure for it is needed in my opinion because first of all it may disturb others in a social environment if their form of autism causes them to created disturbances and other disruptions around others. Secondly, those who suffer from it ARE bullied and made fun of for it. I think it is best a cure is found as soon as possible because of this.

• Spectrum Atypical's have bastardized the term Autism, which ONLY refers to those with Autistic Disorder. They are the PRISM

Why would I have to make a supporting argument. I cannot believe this is even a debate. Those With Autistic Disorder need to have their diagnosis removed from the SPECTRUM. They are the Prism, everything else is ATYPICAL of Autism. But the term "Autism" has been so convoluted by The Autism Spectrum Umbrella, there is no going back. Therefore we need to separate the truly afflicted from the Spectrum. They are the PRISM #prismaticautism

• For low functioning autism and for those that want it

I believe that there should be a cure for low functioning autism to help improve the quality of life of those individuals and for high functioning autistics that want the cure. But if an autistic person doesn't want a cure then it shouldn't be forced on them and that is a decision only adult autistic individuals should be able to make. Autism is not a disability and many autistic individuals are talented and have a special skill in something.

• For Those That Have It Really Bad

I am on the autism spectrum, with the stupidly named Asperger's syndrome. I feel that even though my autism is mild, it has affected me since I was born, in negative ways, mostly. I'm not entirely sure if I have any "gifts" other than my artistic ability. However, I firmly believe that I would still be a good artist even if I wasn't born with it.

Anyway, there are many students in my high school that are on the autism spectrum, and some of them simply can't get other students to understand them (or they can't understand other students) and it's really sad to see it sometimes. I think for people that have high functioning autism, there should be some sort of cure, if only to not be isolated as much from the rest of the world.

• I am autistic.

I don't believe I would be the same person if I wasn't. I am offended and scared that people wish for a future in which I and all people like me cease to exist. What we need is for people to stop treating us like we are broken and need to be fixed.

Ich bin kein Untermensch.

• I do not believe in curing autism

I have a problem with the word "cure", I think it's inappropriate to say that autism needs to be cured because cure implies that autistic individuals are defective. I have Asperger's Syndrome, a form of high-functioning autism, so I have no desire to be cured. Now that I know, I accepted it and I cannot imagine what type of person I would be if I did not have Asperger's.

• There is actually a massive spectrum of Autism

I happen to have something called High Functioning Autism (HFA). This is very different from the common view of autism in that the issues it brings are far more social than intellectual. What many people do not understand is that there is actually a massive spectrum of autism; it is not just one syndrome. Because of this the question of whether a cure should be searched for or not is complicated. However I am very you, and yet I have already been able to mostly overcome my social difficulties. I personally believe that society should try to assist autistic people in overcoming their difficulties rather than try and cure them.

• It really depends, can you cure the drawbacks without 'curing' the gifts

If the cure is at the expense of costing the gifts then no. What makes "disease" disease? What makes one brain type the right one and one the wrong one?

If only the drawbacks can be cured while leaving all the gifts intact then of course it should be cured, but otherwise then no it shouldn't be. We could be mentally castrating the human race. There's a reason autistic dna has persisted.

Perhaps someday we can not only cure the drawbacks of autism but also give the gifts to neurotypicals and we can all be very very analytically intelligent and socially proficient at the same time.

But now it's too early to say, because the technology isn't there yet.

• On the fence, but Autism should not be compulsorily cured.

We first have to consider what we are referring to when we talk about autism...

Autism is a spectrum, thus when we say that autism needs a cure we refer to the spectrum, whether or not we mean to. Now, some forms of autism are worse than others, but high-functioning autism, which is what I have (Asperger's Syndrome) has no need for a cure. All people with autism, even to the one who is autistic, seem to see the negatives more than the positives. However, with proper treatment and parenting, the child/teen can easily overcome the negative aspects of autism and help the positives flourish. I am thankful that my parents were so wise to read up on my condition, and learn to curve their parenting to suit and meet my needs to help me succeed in the real world, instead of blaming a vaccine or wishing I were someone else. I would not be where I am today without my condition, it helped determine who I was. It is a part of me now, I accept it and I would not imagine my life without it.