• Yes, a cure for autism is needed.

I'm not here to say it is wrong to be autistic, and I am not here to say people who suffer from autism are "retarded", but the fact remains that autism is a condition that affects brain function. A cure for it is needed in my opinion because first of all it may disturb others in a social environment if their form of autism causes them to created disturbances and other disruptions around others. Secondly, those who suffer from it ARE bullied and made fun of for it. I think it is best a cure is found as soon as possible because of this.

• When it leads to abusive behaviours, yes

I have experienced severe and prolonged emotional and verbal abuse from someone who was autistic, which always came with the excuse "he's autistic so he can't understand other people's feelings". Not being able to understand or care how much you hurt another person IS a disability which leads to destructive behaviours and prevents the autistic person from forming meaningful and sustained relationships with others. I think a "cure" for this would enhance their and others lives. (I also think, there are different types and degrees of autism and I'm not saying all people on the spectrum need a "cure" but when the behaviour has such a negative impact, then yes, I wish it could be cured)

• Spectrum Atypical's have bastardized the term Autism, which ONLY refers to those with Autistic Disorder. They are the PRISM

Why would I have to make a supporting argument. I cannot believe this is even a debate. Those With Autistic Disorder need to have their diagnosis removed from the SPECTRUM. They are the Prism, everything else is ATYPICAL of Autism. But the term "Autism" has been so convoluted by The Autism Spectrum Umbrella, there is no going back. Therefore we need to separate the truly afflicted from the Spectrum. They are the PRISM #prismaticautism

• For low functioning autism and for those that want it

I believe that there should be a cure for low functioning autism to help improve the quality of life of those individuals and for high functioning autistics that want the cure. But if an autistic person doesn't want a cure then it shouldn't be forced on them and that is a decision only adult autistic individuals should be able to make. Autism is not a disability and many autistic individuals are talented and have a special skill in something.

• For Those That Have It Really Bad

I am on the autism spectrum, with the stupidly named Asperger's syndrome. I feel that even though my autism is mild, it has affected me since I was born, in negative ways, mostly. I'm not entirely sure if I have any "gifts" other than my artistic ability. However, I firmly believe that I would still be a good artist even if I wasn't born with it.

Anyway, there are many students in my high school that are on the autism spectrum, and some of them simply can't get other students to understand them (or they can't understand other students) and it's really sad to see it sometimes. I think for people that have high functioning autism, there should be some sort of cure, if only to not be isolated as much from the rest of the world.

• I am autistic.

I don't believe I would be the same person if I wasn't. I am offended and scared that people wish for a future in which I and all people like me cease to exist. What we need is for people to stop treating us like we are broken and need to be fixed.

Ich bin kein Untermensch.

• I do not believe in curing autism

I have a problem with the word "cure", I think it's inappropriate to say that autism needs to be cured because cure implies that autistic individuals are defective. I have Asperger's Syndrome, a form of high-functioning autism, so I have no desire to be cured. Now that I know, I accepted it and I cannot imagine what type of person I would be if I did not have Asperger's.

• There is actually a massive spectrum of Autism

I happen to have something called High Functioning Autism (HFA). This is very different from the common view of autism in that the issues it brings are far more social than intellectual. What many people do not understand is that there is actually a massive spectrum of autism; it is not just one syndrome. Because of this the question of whether a cure should be searched for or not is complicated. However I am very you, and yet I have already been able to mostly overcome my social difficulties. I personally believe that society should try to assist autistic people in overcoming their difficulties rather than try and cure them.

• It really depends, can you cure the drawbacks without 'curing' the gifts

If the cure is at the expense of costing the gifts then no. What makes "disease" disease? What makes one brain type the right one and one the wrong one?

If only the drawbacks can be cured while leaving all the gifts intact then of course it should be cured, but otherwise then no it shouldn't be. We could be mentally castrating the human race. There's a reason autistic dna has persisted.

Perhaps someday we can not only cure the drawbacks of autism but also give the gifts to neurotypicals and we can all be very very analytically intelligent and socially proficient at the same time.

But now it's too early to say, because the technology isn't there yet.

• Don't force them to adapt to the world teach them to adapt their world to them.

Being autistic is all about adapting. Sometimes it is harder than others to adapt but the important thing is we give them the tools to adapt. Teaching them that it is ok to comfort themselves and different skills such as how to speak up for themselves when they need something. Teaching them that there is not anything wrong with them rather that their brain simply works differently and that sometimes they will do things in a different way than others. And that there isn't anything wrong with that. By saying that they need a "cure" is telling them that there is something wrong with them. There is nothing wrong with the way they were born what is wrong is that there is not a way to adapt their world to their needs you can't change the person but you can change their environment. You can change the way you look at them and the way you treat them.

• It is who they are

I do not know what to put here I do not want to waste time figuring out what words and evidence I need all I have to say is that autism has no need at all to be cured and people who think it should be cured have no brain

• We don't want this.

I have Asperger's Syndrome, and did you know many people with Asperger's are prone to PTSD. Why? Therapy, trying to change them, stop their stimming. By looking for a cure you are saying something is wrong with us that must be fixed, I want to live my life rather than be on drugs making me loopy so I don't act 'autistic'. All this rubbish is just caused by some schoolboys who used it as an insult, now people take two sides (for cure, not for a cure) unknowing of anything. I suffer everyday of shyness and no friends but I don't want to change who I am and who I was born to be. No one that has autism wants a cure, so just listen to the people who you go frolick around on how they are suffering and need a cure, just try to support us instead of trying to fix us.

• On the fence, but Autism should not be compulsorily cured.

We first have to consider what we are referring to when we talk about autism...

Autism is a spectrum, thus when we say that autism needs a cure we refer to the spectrum, whether or not we mean to. Now, some forms of autism are worse than others, but high-functioning autism, which is what I have (Asperger's Syndrome) has no need for a cure. All people with autism, even to the one who is autistic, seem to see the negatives more than the positives. However, with proper treatment and parenting, the child/teen can easily overcome the negative aspects of autism and help the positives flourish. I am thankful that my parents were so wise to read up on my condition, and learn to curve their parenting to suit and meet my needs to help me succeed in the real world, instead of blaming a vaccine or wishing I were someone else. I would not be where I am today without my condition, it helped determine who I was. It is a part of me now, I accept it and I would not imagine my life without it.