• Yes, a cure for autism is needed.

I'm not here to say it is wrong to be autistic, and I am not here to say people who suffer from autism are "retarded", but the fact remains that autism is a condition that affects brain function. A cure for it is needed in my opinion because first of all it may disturb others in a social environment if their form of autism causes them to created disturbances and other disruptions around others. Secondly, those who suffer from it ARE bullied and made fun of for it. I think it is best a cure is found as soon as possible because of this.

• It's a DEVELOPMENTAL DISORDER and LEGALLY CONSIDERED A DISABILITY FOR A REASON. F#$% YOUR "NEURODIVERSITY" I DON'T WANT TO BE DISABLED ANYMORE!

ALL OF YOU WHO ARE AGAINST A CURE FOR AUTISM ARE SELFISH. FULL STOP.

The unemployment rate for people on the autism spectrum is literally over 80%, higher than any other disability, mental or physical! The enrollment and graduation rate from vocational, 2 year, and 4 year programs/universities for autists is the LOWEST of any disability. And it should be NO SURPRISE that we are out of luck when it comes to relationships, networking, and friendships. We tend to get ostracized and treated like babies.

Autism significantly affects Executive Functioning (managing time, paying attention, organization), and co-morbid conditions (tend to occur alongside autism) include Anxiety Disorders, Sleep Disorders, GI Disorders, OCD, and ADHD (ADHD and Autism causes the most severe impact on Executive Function, Processing Speed, and Short Term Memory). My Processing Speed subtest IQ score is an 81! Everything else is normal but thanks to this damned condition I'm so much slower when it comes to doing stuff.

I struggle with almost everything, and I also do have ADHD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder and PTSD (magnified by the obsessive thinking involved with autism). Literally the only thing we have as a plus is "creativity and imagination" but that never did much for me except give me weird thoughts all my life and strange dreams.

I literally had so many opportunities that would have been GREAT for someone without autism, instead I'm 6 years into a 4 year engineering program and still have 2 and a half years of coursework to go (likely longer because my slow processing speed). Hell my parents were paying for my school and I would've graduated debt free on time if it wasn't for this damned conditioned.

NOT TO MENTION the LOW-FUNCTIONING AUTISTS, such as my youngest brother whose life revolves around defecating on himself multiple times a day, destroying the house, breaking his toys, and having to be given to the government after he becomes a legal adult in a few years. I've worked with other low-functioning autistic kids in special olympics and I feel so sorry for them! They will never get to fully experience life because some autist got offended that someone wants to cure their disability!

I WANT TO BE CURED GODDAMNIT

I WANT TO BE CURED GODDAMNIT

• Please find a cure.

As someone whose (high-functioning) autism makes it extremely difficult to establish relation and obtain a job, I say: please find a cure for autism. And when a cure is found, give people suffering from autism the right to choose. We look for cures for Alzheimer's, why not autism as well?

• Please find a cure.

• When it leads to abusive behaviours, yes

I have experienced severe and prolonged emotional and verbal abuse from someone who was autistic, which always came with the excuse "he's autistic so he can't understand other people's feelings". Not being able to understand or care how much you hurt another person IS a disability which leads to destructive behaviours and prevents the autistic person from forming meaningful and sustained relationships with others. I think a "cure" for this would enhance their and others lives. (I also think, there are different types and degrees of autism and I'm not saying all people on the spectrum need a "cure" but when the behaviour has such a negative impact, then yes, I wish it could be cured)

• Spectrum Atypical's have bastardized the term Autism, which ONLY refers to those with Autistic Disorder. They are the PRISM

Why would I have to make a supporting argument. I cannot believe this is even a debate. Those With Autistic Disorder need to have their diagnosis removed from the SPECTRUM. They are the Prism, everything else is ATYPICAL of Autism. But the term "Autism" has been so convoluted by The Autism Spectrum Umbrella, there is no going back. Therefore we need to separate the truly afflicted from the Spectrum. They are the PRISM #prismaticautism

• For low functioning autism and for those that want it

I believe that there should be a cure for low functioning autism to help improve the quality of life of those individuals and for high functioning autistics that want the cure. But if an autistic person doesn't want a cure then it shouldn't be forced on them and that is a decision only adult autistic individuals should be able to make. Autism is not a disability and many autistic individuals are talented and have a special skill in something.

• For Those That Have It Really Bad

I am on the autism spectrum, with the stupidly named Asperger's syndrome. I feel that even though my autism is mild, it has affected me since I was born, in negative ways, mostly. I'm not entirely sure if I have any "gifts" other than my artistic ability. However, I firmly believe that I would still be a good artist even if I wasn't born with it.

Anyway, there are many students in my high school that are on the autism spectrum, and some of them simply can't get other students to understand them (or they can't understand other students) and it's really sad to see it sometimes. I think for people that have high functioning autism, there should be some sort of cure, if only to not be isolated as much from the rest of the world.

• I am autistic.

I don't believe I would be the same person if I wasn't. I am offended and scared that people wish for a future in which I and all people like me cease to exist. What we need is for people to stop treating us like we are broken and need to be fixed.

Ich bin kein Untermensch.

• I do not believe in curing autism

I have a problem with the word "cure", I think it's inappropriate to say that autism needs to be cured because cure implies that autistic individuals are defective. I have Asperger's Syndrome, a form of high-functioning autism, so I have no desire to be cured. Now that I know, I accepted it and I cannot imagine what type of person I would be if I did not have Asperger's.

• There is actually a massive spectrum of Autism

I happen to have something called High Functioning Autism (HFA). This is very different from the common view of autism in that the issues it brings are far more social than intellectual. What many people do not understand is that there is actually a massive spectrum of autism; it is not just one syndrome. Because of this the question of whether a cure should be searched for or not is complicated. However I am very you, and yet I have already been able to mostly overcome my social difficulties. I personally believe that society should try to assist autistic people in overcoming their difficulties rather than try and cure them.

• It really depends, can you cure the drawbacks without 'curing' the gifts

If the cure is at the expense of costing the gifts then no. What makes "disease" disease? What makes one brain type the right one and one the wrong one?

If only the drawbacks can be cured while leaving all the gifts intact then of course it should be cured, but otherwise then no it shouldn't be. We could be mentally castrating the human race. There's a reason autistic dna has persisted.

Perhaps someday we can not only cure the drawbacks of autism but also give the gifts to neurotypicals and we can all be very very analytically intelligent and socially proficient at the same time.

But now it's too early to say, because the technology isn't there yet.

• As an autistic person, I don’t think that mine or anyone else’s personality should be changed to fit what’s seen as ‘normal’ or ‘socially acceptable’.

If society was more accepting towards people with autism, then I’m almost certain that nobody would need a cure, as it isn’t an illness. All we are is different, and the world would be a boring place if everyone was exactly the same.
    Some people on this page are saying that the negative effects of autism are not being able to get a job or make friends. I agree that these are problems, however, if employers were more accepting and if the general public were more accepting, then these wouldn’t be issues anymore. Therefore, we shouldn’t be telling the people with autism to change, we should be telling those who are prejudiced or ignorant to change.

• No! You end up destroying people with amazing inventions or gifts to benefit the future!

I have Asperger's Syndrome and at first I did struggle with anxiety, depression, bullying and peer pressure but when I was sixteen, I always thought my parents could of cured me if there was for I thought I wasn't the perfect daughter but when I research famous people with autism, that hit me. I realised that people with autism can live a successful and good life like Albert Einstein, Temple Grandin and I forgot his name and he invented Pokemon.

I did ask for help for guidance and told me that we all have flaws and labels don't always define us as bad but rather a unique but a perfect gift. I thanked positive for the onwards and realise I have some good traits and beg better than the negative.

My IQ is hundred and forty three, I have an excellent memory, my mental age is five years older, so I'm mature, I'm polite, I have eye for detail, I'm well organised, I love animals, singing, dancing, acting, drawing, books and yes even phones. Those traits can be more beneficial than you think. No we need no cure, we need acceptance!

• I'm fine as I am

The buffet obstacles I face as an autistic are social ones that a little more understanding from the public can eliminate. It is part of who I am. In the other hand there are souls like memory & analysis that come from being autistic that are a big help in my life. Why do you not want me to be me?

• If autistic people don’t want it, then we shouldn’t have it

I haven’t met a single autistic person who wants to be cured. If we are happy as we are then what needs to be changed? By curing us you would be robbing us of our identities, and changing who we are as people. We are perfect just the way we are

• Don't force them to adapt to the world teach them to adapt their world to them.

Being autistic is all about adapting. Sometimes it is harder than others to adapt but the important thing is we give them the tools to adapt. Teaching them that it is ok to comfort themselves and different skills such as how to speak up for themselves when they need something. Teaching them that there is not anything wrong with them rather that their brain simply works differently and that sometimes they will do things in a different way than others. And that there isn't anything wrong with that. By saying that they need a "cure" is telling them that there is something wrong with them. There is nothing wrong with the way they were born what is wrong is that there is not a way to adapt their world to their needs you can't change the person but you can change their environment. You can change the way you look at them and the way you treat them.

• It is who they are

I do not know what to put here I do not want to waste time figuring out what words and evidence I need all I have to say is that autism has no need at all to be cured and people who think it should be cured have no brain