• The obvious answer!

Having some money is better than no money. However, living on your own is not possible. If you're still living with mommy and daddy who pay the bills, yeah, $400 a week is great. Go out on your own and pay rent, groceries, utilities and all the rest of the bills needed to get by. You're lucky to have $30 left at the end of the month, if you rent a room. Having a place of your own isn't going to happen. Businesses love to only pay min. Wage to keep the high profits in the pockets of upper management. If there was no min. Wage how much(little) do you think they would pay? In Calif. For 7 years 1981-1988 it didn't go up once. It finally did 6 mos. Later. Then it took over 8 years before it went up again. https://www.dir.ca.gov/iwc/MinimumWageHistory.htm. All those years for companies to pay the least amount required as the economy went to the hell hole and costs rose to the moon. It's simple math. Owners/CEO's and managers stuff their pockets while the rest of us roll around in poverty.

• You need a job.

This week's TIME magazine cites Bureau of Labor Statistics data that shows unemployment among workers 25 and younger stands at two times the national rate -- 16 percent for young workers, compared to 7.9 percent nationally. Setting entry-level jobs at the minimum wage allows companies to invest in an inexperienced employee, providing job training and extra supervisory oversight. When that employee moves up to "experienced" status, compensation will rise as well.

• A job should support living

A job that requires public assistance in order for the worker to survive is like indentured servitude. Someone is making a profit off of this exploitative work. It should not be allowed. Why should the public subsidize low wages so that rich corporations like Wal-Mart and McDonald's can make huge profits and ungodly salaries for their management team/owners?

• Make yourself useful.

"Working to live instead of living to work is not a life worth living." How ironic that it's on the 'no' side. You work to live. That's how it works. You work, you are deservingly compensated; not the other way around. 'Living to work' is the one that sounds pathetic. Do you know who lives to work? Slave-borns. They are bred by slave parents who essentially create more slaves for the masters. Slaves are those who are bred to work for the superior ones; who live to work. Would you rather be a slave or a volunteer for minimum wage? Either way, the best thing about both is that at least they make someone else's life more comfortable. At least slaves and minimum wagers work for a higher purpose. So for those who refuse to work at all, what's your excuse?

• Yes, a miniumum wage job is better than no job.

I believe that a minimum wage job is better than no job. A person is at least working and not considered lazy if he or she works a minimum wage job. Also, minimum wage jobs give you experience working so hopefully you can land a better paying job. I think it is much more respectable to be at least trying to work rather than just sitting at home collecting welfare.

• Any job is better than no job

Especially considering how hard it is to find jobs right now. I would gladly take any job even if it is minimum wage. As long as you have money coming in it is better than sitting around doing nothing. Should people rather just expect to receive welfare? No that is part of the problem, people expect money without the effort.

• Mostly.

A minimum wage job is better than no job in the sense that getting income is better than not getting income. However, people with these jobs should also consider any expenses that having the job adds, and whether working fewer hours at something that might be higher paying could result in the same income for less time. I think that in general a minimum wage job is better than nothing, though.

• A Minimum Wage is Far Better than no job

Consider that with a minimum wage job you could be making about four hundred dollars a week, that is a substantial amount of money to somebody who wasn't previously employed. All work is good work. If you can save your money and use it wisely you can even build a savings on minimum wage, although it will be challenging.

• Minimum wage jobs are the first rung on a career ladder

• Having a job is better than having no job

Having a minimum wage job as opposed to no job at all is certainly preferable. Although the wage may be low, this still enables a person to have independence and the ability to provide for themselves, albeit meagerly. In an ideal situation, that minimum wage job will lead to promotions and/or opportunities to advance within the company. Just because someone starts out at minimum wage does not mean they stay there.

• Modern Human Slavery

The only difference between the slavery of old and the slavery of today, is the fact that you can now select your master. If that is freedom, than so is the freedom to choose which vehicle you will spend vast amounts of money on to maintain so you can get to work, and then come home to have the freedom to choose which television program you want to watch with your limited time. This is not freedom. These are not choices. Choosing between languishing in obscurity and struggling in relative success, are non-starters for me. I am not like the rest of the monkeys running around this planet who jockey for position and brag that they make two more dollars an hour than their equally miserable peers.

The only thing this society is efficiently doing, is maximizing human misery by giving us false choices, and making us pay exorbitantly for things that could be produced cheaper, more healthy, and distributed in a more humane manner. This planet needs to get its shit together.

• Absolutely not. Modern day slavery, wake up people. Is this how you want your children to live?

As most the reasonable people who have ever worked or tried to live off and survive a minimum wage job it is impossible. You are forced to live in a garbage rooming situation as with minimum wage an apartment of your own isn't happening. If you have kids in the picture then that's even worse, how are you going to provide for yourself and your child on minimum wage. Your child is going to come visit you in your rooming house and wonder why you are so poor when you work so hard. It's ridiculous, real estate market is also now a business, you can't even live in your own apartment or space. Confined to a room, a box. It's blatant slavery.

Also getting into the fact that these jobs are menial, miserable, deal with stand arounds or useless people and employers will always point at you. These "employers" or useless pieces of crap, offer no guidance, direction or leadership, just straight demands, which is slavery. They don't care about you or your life, just the bottom line. They are paying you the least legal amount of money they can get away with and people act like that's ok. Having to work multiple jobs and having no benefits, once something comes up. You're pretty much screwed. The expectations are also out of this world, they demand five star work and ethic for crumbs. I don't think so. Time people shape up. I dispised social assistance or welfare or w.E. For years but if you get roughly same amount, have less expense and more freedom, at the end of the day, my health and happiness is number one. Nobody should be working so hard to be so miserable and barely able to live their lives. The people that claim welfare receipts are lazy etc have no clue what half of them have been through, their are some users but many are just in dire circumstances at the moment. They also fail to mention the billions of dollars NASA and space agencies take out of your taxes, the trilions of dollars wasted on the industrial war machine, annihilating innocent countries into oblivion. That's ok, but a person trying to support themselves from starving is unacceptable.

• If you live with Mommy then yes.

If you are single with bills, rent.Travel to work,etc, after they are paid. You have about a £10 left after 40hrs . With this you cant date, buy a home, progress in live, if you live at Moms and keep most of your salary, you can pass your driving test, have fun on weekends. But you wont be able to buy a life, you'll be a modern day slave.

• People are Full of Shit

Listen, it's great to be a hard worker, I am also and have worked several minimum wage jobs. But, I would never make my children do it over school work, which is sort of what my parents have been doing. I'm tired of minimum wage and high school, after I graduate I want to join the Air Force and serve my country.

• People are Full of Shit

• It's ok for a temp job but not forever

You will never get ahead working minimum wage. Its just stupid that a high school kid can do the same job a a minimum wage person. I might as well pick up empties then go to minimum wage job because I would jsut break even anyways. So why bother people

• Waste of time

Pays no more than 300 a week. It's not worth anyone's time. Get treated like a piece of s***. By the end of the year, you'll have much more medical problems directly correlated to the job. Get one traffic violation and your held back an entire month. Still can't be fully independent on minimum wage. Still require to borrow money. You basically never advance. Better being Homeless in my opinion.

• Don't be stupid

Wages should rise. My boss just bought a £4000 sofa 3 houses and is getting married in Spain for £20'000. I cant afford to eat. Buy furniture or to contemplate dating , I own 2 pairs of pants. The staff that asked for a rise got sacked for trainees for half pay.

• Waste of time

It's a giant waste of time. I've worked at about 10 minimum wage jobs, each time I got hired, I was hoping something would be different about the next job. They're all the same, they all follow the same corporate rules. The worst part is they really do try and get the employee the least they can while still following the laws. All the companies act like they're doing you a huge favor while in reality they're just giving you the minimum required by law (Money, Hours, Benefits etc..)

• Waste of time

FreeFromBonds says2016-04-16T12:12:52.820
No a minimum wage job is not worth getting out of bed. I as well as many people who have busted our asses for low wages doing back breaking work for years and paying into taxes all know this is true. Many of these people that refuse to work are not lazy, they just know they're wasting their time. By the time you pay for traveling costs, car insurance, drivers license payment, in some cases car payments, plus all bills and expenses you're broke. If you're receiving government funds that you paid into for years with the taxes taken off your own god damn checks its your own god damn money anyway. Except you are not wasting 2080 hours of your life per year doing something you hate around back stabbing co-workers you don't like. By not working you're not travailing and packing lunches etc you're living on a lot less and consuming less resources so rich assholes that boss people around can consume what they do not need. Live off the land, fish, hunt, grow your own food, live free from modern slavery.
FreeFromBonds says2016-04-16T12:12:57.610