Is academic performance the best indicator of potential for success in life?

• Say yes to success!

The absolute measure of success is through tenacity and hard work. If you're a go-getter or over achiever who thinks outside the box, you are show yourself, and everyone else, that you are capable of overcoming any obstacle and stopping at nothing to be the very best you can be.

• Because it is your stepping stone to find your own career. It also tells what you are up to in life.

People who struggle academically may be easier to work with, as a result of having better social skills. As this is often the case, people who are intelligent are not necessarily better at understanding people. When people go to work places, social skills are just as important as academic levels.

• It just determines your capability of studying a defined course

When you are thinking out of the box you are going to see your real capabilities not just what is defined. Creativity is the main stance you need to have. Every one is built for something special and you need to know that in your life and work towards fulfilling your desire.

• Academic Performance leads to success to whatever endeavor a person may take

If a person is academically performs well, I think it would be an edge or a perimeter that such person will be a successful one someday. Specially, if he is being monitored closely by the parents. Given much considerations on feelings towards failure in school or decision making. A person with high level of academic performance tends to look for an attention.

• Working Smarter, Not Harder,

Though I'll agree that nothing can be achieved without hard work, schooling is ultimately what makes you successful. Except for rare, almost impossible circumstances, you can't make a living off of solely a high school education. Sure, you can support yourself, but there's almost no way to support a family (without assistance) on $10-20,000 a year. Getting good grades, even in tough circumstances, means more about a person's character then how much weight they can lift or how many burgers they can flip in a minute. Getting those good grades throughout high school, undergrad, and grad school (If you choose this option) will not only get you jobs, but it will lead to the American Dream.

• Not the best indicator

The best indicator of success is HARD WORK, SACRIFICE AND PERSEVERANCE. There are many successful people who do not own a degree. They just work really hard and aimed for one vision = SUCCESS. With this, they sacrifice and do whatever it takes to be successful and reach what they have been dreaming of. However, this does not mean that one may not study hard, we need proper education still.

• What other metric are you going to use?

How can one assert that academic performance does not sufficiently predict one's POTENTIAL for success in life? Bear in mind that life does not equal the labor market. Though, I think we can all agree that if you work in HR or are an employer, if there's a (relatively) standard metric in discerning how well a recent college grad will perform in the private/public sector--grades mean a lot. As one who works in HR in the public sector, I can speak from experience by saying that when sifting through potential applicants, 21st century hiring and applicant software allows employers to immediately weed out those who perform substandard in their undergraduate program of study. We simply don't look at those who are sub-par students, why? Because your academic performance exhibits a plethora of information about you--not simply what you learned but: work ethic, punctuality (if you do well in college, chances are you frequently attended class), drive, etc.. I can honestly look at a resume loaded with extracurricular activities--clubs, sports, Greek letter societies, community service, etc. And not feel bad about turning one down if they have extremely average grades. To me, all of the extras are icing on the cake but don't exempt one's poor academic record. If you're a busy person in the academy and don't focus too much on your studies, chances are you're gonna be a busy person, period, and potentially not focus on your job. College is your job if you're a full time student and by doing poorly it shows employers you have better things to do; I'll let you focus on those instead of coming to work for me.

• Yes it does

It helps with finding a better job and building a character with tenacity and courage. The best student is probably the one who has put the most effort and time in studying. Besides school keeps children who are actively engaged in it away from bad habits like gambling, drugs and porngraphy and teaches them good manners.

• Education alone helps a person to succeed in life

Success in life depends only on education because sportswomen like PT.Usha are not being recognized now because there are other sportswomen who are able to perform well than her.
    People like SIR.C.V.Raman are being spoken till now because education has given him a place in people's mind. Therefore a person has to depend only on education to succeed in life.

• It is "indicate", not "determine"

Academic performance measures quantities of qualities of a student. The written exams text students' ability to master knowledge. The oral exams provide another means to train students' courage and ability to demonstrate their ideas accurately. If a student wants good grades, he or she has to be both industrious and intelligent. Thus, academic performance measures the qualities that are crucial to students later success.
    Also, the word "indicateā€ allows other possibilities that contribute to a successful life.

• Our current education system is nothing more than liberal mental masturbation

People attracted to academia are mostly liberals who do not want to practice discriminatory thought. When you are tenured and have no profit motive forcing you to be right you get the liberal cesspool we have today in colleges. Instead of empowering students with the knowledge to become their own person they espouse useless socialist communist garbage enslaving an entire generation to servitude to the parasitical government tit.

• Academic Performance measures how well you can follow orders

It doesn't measure at all how much of an individual you are, or what unique characteristics you bring to the table. The purpose of it, is so that everyone can learn the same thing and think the same way, if you don't then you are penalized with bad grades. Furthermore academic performance is picture of a certain time, you can't weigh down a person for something they've done in the past, some mistake or some piece of luck they did in the past. The present isn't the past, and the future definitely isn't the present. To say that we are constant beings that will stay the same and have the same knowledge forever, is ignorance to the existence of time.

• Education can only take you so far, you need to have an inborn curiosity... And the ability to have things done.

If you can't think and act (outside the box), Sorry, no success for you.
    It also depends a lot on your family status, and also a little bit of luck ( Well, some people are already lucky to be born into wealthy families already, so they have a great advantage)

• You forget peoples' inheritance of not just economic capital, but SOCIAL capital

People inherit contacts and connections, and the opportunities to eventually meet more people, gain a greater awareness of the world, and to see and experience more. Socioeconomic class and wealth greatly determines how much more money you'll make, the number (and quality of) women you'll meet, and, yes, your happiness. Unless you're unenlightened by all the benefits of money, you'd realise... You need money. I want money myself. Is there anything wrong with that? Hell, the richest and most genetically advantaged... They have damn HAREMS of women. Sex slaves, frankly, in their uber world of advantages. Depresses the crap out of me.

• Im neutral, but I'm against that academic success is THE BEST indicator for success.

I am the top student of my school, that is over 500 boys. This is one of the top schools in the country and I am proud to be the top of academics. However, I find that people who don't do well in academics are generally happier. They may not get into the best job:Doctor, Teacher, Lawyer, Engineer etc. and they wont have as secure futures. But they will be happy, and that is the best measure of success. The ability to feel comfortable with your achievements. I am not saying that top academic students don't have this quality, but I am saying that this is much more important than academia. This is coming from a person who has experienced depression due to extreme academic competition. I eventually got over it and adopted the mindset of a not-so-academic student. I found my way to the top of the school without studying extreme amounts. In fact, the happier you are, the more the tendency that you will do better. -Anonymous

• The ability to think and act.

You can be someone who does well in school, and get a job that pays well. I believe that is a poor measure if someone is successful. If you get paid well but hate what you are doing seems like a sad way of life. While we have seasons of that, this is not a good life.
    There are things that I want to accomplish in life and it's going to take thought and action. There is so much information out there and it doesn't take a school to get, it just takes a desire to process it and and act. Going to a school to learn stuff might work for some people and needed for certain careers, but to say it determines our successes is quite foolish.

• Bil Gate's Quote

I failed in some subjects in exam, but my friend passed in all. Now he is an engineer in Microsoft and I am the owner of Microsoft...

This shows how in significant academic result is...

I am a top student in a school and I find it useless when all my friends has their own talents such as dancing, playing instruments and sporting...

They are all successful in things they are fond of...

• Academic performance isn't an effective measure

Academic performance as measured today computes an average of your averages. Meaning that if you are in the 1% for certain skill sets it may not show AT ALL in your academic performance. For example, you may consistently be in the top of your class for group projects or independent research, but since class averages are often only composed of 25-30% of this component, if you do not exceed your peers in other aspects of the course your strengths may not be reflected in your grades. Basically, averages do not show variability, so people's strengths and weaknesses are not very well measured. Therefore, how can you possibly determine one's potential for success in a given area by putting extraordinary emphasis on grades?

• Why academic success is not important

If bill gates could become the owner of microsoft even failing subjects, why cant we? People think he may have talent but is talent just all? No knowledge is also needed. If you are good in your studies without being street smart how are you going to plan your future? But if you dont have the academics but is street smart it is possible to work your way around

• Why academic success is not important