Is academic performance the best indicator of potential for success in life?

• Say yes to success!

The absolute measure of success is through tenacity and hard work. If you're a go-getter or over achiever who thinks outside the box, you are show yourself, and everyone else, that you are capable of overcoming any obstacle and stopping at nothing to be the very best you can be.

• Because it is your stepping stone to find your own career. It also tells what you are up to in life.

People who struggle academically may be easier to work with, as a result of having better social skills. As this is often the case, people who are intelligent are not necessarily better at understanding people. When people go to work places, social skills are just as important as academic levels.

• It just determines your capability of studying a defined course

When you are thinking out of the box you are going to see your real capabilities not just what is defined. Creativity is the main stance you need to have. Every one is built for something special and you need to know that in your life and work towards fulfilling your desire.

• Academic Performance leads to success to whatever endeavor a person may take

If a person is academically performs well, I think it would be an edge or a perimeter that such person will be a successful one someday. Specially, if he is being monitored closely by the parents. Given much considerations on feelings towards failure in school or decision making. A person with high level of academic performance tends to look for an attention.

• Working Smarter, Not Harder,

Though I'll agree that nothing can be achieved without hard work, schooling is ultimately what makes you successful. Except for rare, almost impossible circumstances, you can't make a living off of solely a high school education. Sure, you can support yourself, but there's almost no way to support a family (without assistance) on $10-20,000 a year. Getting good grades, even in tough circumstances, means more about a person's character then how much weight they can lift or how many burgers they can flip in a minute. Getting those good grades throughout high school, undergrad, and grad school (If you choose this option) will not only get you jobs, but it will lead to the American Dream.

• Not the best indicator

The best indicator of success is HARD WORK, SACRIFICE AND PERSEVERANCE. There are many successful people who do not own a degree. They just work really hard and aimed for one vision = SUCCESS. With this, they sacrifice and do whatever it takes to be successful and reach what they have been dreaming of. However, this does not mean that one may not study hard, we need proper education still.

• What other metric are you going to use?

How can one assert that academic performance does not sufficiently predict one's POTENTIAL for success in life? Bear in mind that life does not equal the labor market. Though, I think we can all agree that if you work in HR or are an employer, if there's a (relatively) standard metric in discerning how well a recent college grad will perform in the private/public sector--grades mean a lot. As one who works in HR in the public sector, I can speak from experience by saying that when sifting through potential applicants, 21st century hiring and applicant software allows employers to immediately weed out those who perform substandard in their undergraduate program of study. We simply don't look at those who are sub-par students, why? Because your academic performance exhibits a plethora of information about you--not simply what you learned but: work ethic, punctuality (if you do well in college, chances are you frequently attended class), drive, etc.. I can honestly look at a resume loaded with extracurricular activities--clubs, sports, Greek letter societies, community service, etc. And not feel bad about turning one down if they have extremely average grades. To me, all of the extras are icing on the cake but don't exempt one's poor academic record. If you're a busy person in the academy and don't focus too much on your studies, chances are you're gonna be a busy person, period, and potentially not focus on your job. College is your job if you're a full time student and by doing poorly it shows employers you have better things to do; I'll let you focus on those instead of coming to work for me.

• Yes it does

It helps with finding a better job and building a character with tenacity and courage. The best student is probably the one who has put the most effort and time in studying. Besides school keeps children who are actively engaged in it away from bad habits like gambling, drugs and porngraphy and teaches them good manners.

• Education alone helps a person to succeed in life

Success in life depends only on education because sportswomen like PT.Usha are not being recognized now because there are other sportswomen who are able to perform well than her.
    People like SIR.C.V.Raman are being spoken till now because education has given him a place in people's mind. Therefore a person has to depend only on education to succeed in life.

• It is "indicate", not "determine"

Academic performance measures quantities of qualities of a student. The written exams text students' ability to master knowledge. The oral exams provide another means to train students' courage and ability to demonstrate their ideas accurately. If a student wants good grades, he or she has to be both industrious and intelligent. Thus, academic performance measures the qualities that are crucial to students later success.
    Also, the word "indicateā€ allows other possibilities that contribute to a successful life.

• Im neutral, but I'm against that academic success is THE BEST indicator for success.

I am the top student of my school, that is over 500 boys. This is one of the top schools in the country and I am proud to be the top of academics. However, I find that people who don't do well in academics are generally happier. They may not get into the best job:Doctor, Teacher, Lawyer, Engineer etc. and they wont have as secure futures. But they will be happy, and that is the best measure of success. The ability to feel comfortable with your achievements. I am not saying that top academic students don't have this quality, but I am saying that this is much more important than academia. This is coming from a person who has experienced depression due to extreme academic competition. I eventually got over it and adopted the mindset of a not-so-academic student. I found my way to the top of the school without studying extreme amounts. In fact, the happier you are, the more the tendency that you will do better. -Anonymous

• The ability to think and act.

You can be someone who does well in school, and get a job that pays well. I believe that is a poor measure if someone is successful. If you get paid well but hate what you are doing seems like a sad way of life. While we have seasons of that, this is not a good life.
    There are things that I want to accomplish in life and it's going to take thought and action. There is so much information out there and it doesn't take a school to get, it just takes a desire to process it and and act. Going to a school to learn stuff might work for some people and needed for certain careers, but to say it determines our successes is quite foolish.

• Bil Gate's Quote

I failed in some subjects in exam, but my friend passed in all. Now he is an engineer in Microsoft and I am the owner of Microsoft...

This shows how in significant academic result is...

I am a top student in a school and I find it useless when all my friends has their own talents such as dancing, playing instruments and sporting...

They are all successful in things they are fond of...

• Academic performance isn't an effective measure

Academic performance as measured today computes an average of your averages. Meaning that if you are in the 1% for certain skill sets it may not show AT ALL in your academic performance. For example, you may consistently be in the top of your class for group projects or independent research, but since class averages are often only composed of 25-30% of this component, if you do not exceed your peers in other aspects of the course your strengths may not be reflected in your grades. Basically, averages do not show variability, so people's strengths and weaknesses are not very well measured. Therefore, how can you possibly determine one's potential for success in a given area by putting extraordinary emphasis on grades?

• Why academic success is not important

If bill gates could become the owner of microsoft even failing subjects, why cant we? People think he may have talent but is talent just all? No knowledge is also needed. If you are good in your studies without being street smart how are you going to plan your future? But if you dont have the academics but is street smart it is possible to work your way around

• Why academic success is not important

• Performance is related to amount of information you can put on the paper by studying probably from a week before.

Your percentage can not guarantee you with a nice job though it can provide you with good job opportunities. No company is looking for a person who can simply do "answer the following question in the same way your teacher wants them to be", but looking for people who are more innovative and productive.

• Motivation And Creatvity

Just because your scores aren't so good doesn't mean you wont be successful in your life. Forget about money, stop thinking about job wages and pay scales. Think of something you really enjoy and strive for it! Academic performance does not mean you have success in your life. I have multiple friends who did so well and got so far but yet that feel depressed or sad. I have one fun who did mediocre but he tried his best and hes happy because he's living the dream of meeting new people and just growing up. It doesn't matter if your good at school or not, what you should be more weary is that life is full of expectations. Just live be free and wild. Go out for dinner or play games what ever you like just make sure that you feel alive

• Grades are a fantastic indicator of success in life, clearly...

If you are an MD, a JD, or a PhD... The jobs that require them are nearly impossible to get into if you don't have them. Where are the statistics on the students who have a bachelors degree with a 4.0 GPA and are currently working at Starbucks? I doubt you'll find them, as it would make some important people (and these days, *very-RICH* people) in the Universities look very bad. Apologies for the straw-man argument.

More seriously, observe this article:
    http://www.Huffingtonpost.Com/2011/08/23/lawmakers-background-business-economics_n_934157.Html

8/10 lawmakers do not have an academic degree. Now let's look at their wealth, shall we?

Http://www.Opensecrets.Org/news/2014/01/millionaires-club-for-first-time-most-lawmakers-are-worth-1-million-plus.Html

Hmm... Well, I'll be. They seem to be doing a might bit better than your average college student, don't they? We have had quite a few lawmakers that were very proud of the fact that they were, in fact, poor students. Here's a few examples:

http://mentalfloss.Com/article/28826/9-presidential-candidates-who-werent-great-students

Now... If you believe that academic performance is the exclusive and best indicator of potential success in life, then you must be taking a very special brand of "heroine" that has been served to you ever since you were a wee tot by those from within the academic system. Most of whom have never worked, or been in a professional setting outside of academia.

Observe this interesting story:
    http://chronicle.Com/blogs/phd/2013/09/19/the-ph-d-industry-gap/

Who has been wildly successful without a traditional academic education? Read about Faraday, read about John Dalton. Remember children, reading assignments are for students (teachers don't really have to bother... [and a lot really don't]). Read about this fellow:

http://en.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/George_Westinghouse

Here's an interesting list:

http://en.Wikipedia.Org/wiki/List_of_college_dropout_billionaires

Are you going to use a law of averages argument, now? On the average people will do better with a college degree? Maybe so. I couldn't help but notice the rising costs to go to college (see this link):

http://www.Thedailybeast.Com/articles/2014/01/24/the-price-of-college-has-increased-1120-percent-since-1978-so-is-it-worth-it.Html

This wouldn't be so bad if the number and the amount of scholarships were rising to meet that "wonderful" 1120% rate increase in tag price. But I don't believe it has. And with the rising incidence of taking student loans (which cannot be dropped, even by bankruptcy), if I were a cynical observer, I might say that the powers that be who run the academic realm were doing everything in their power to fight the great evil that is "Wage Inflation"...

I couldn't really imagine a better way to fight wage inflation than to lead the ambitious youth of our world with a carrot dangling on a stick, facetiously calling it an "education"; where the only way to attain it is to take between $30,000-$120,000 in student loans. Make your workforce real docile and completely dependent on you. Who's really in charge at the Universities? Ask the assorted Boards of Directors and Boards of Trustees.

Be careful, if you are wrong about this assumption about academic performance and success, you may be singing the newest stanza in:
    "Another day older and deeper in debt...
    ...
    I owe my soul to the company store."

• Definition of Success

Every people have their own definition of success, dream and desire accordingly to their family background, religion and belief. People who are ecademic exellence is not indicating their experience in workplace. Furthermore, in technological age today, internet may well be advantages for success instead of specialization in paper work. People who are smart in workforce may be demotivated due to poor academic performance, nonetheless, people who with excellence GPA will sometimes lacking leaderships skill and communication skill instead of just paper work itself.