• Yes, it can give professors more security.

Academic tenure is when a professor is basically hired on permanently by a college. As the child of a college professor, I know that my family felt secure knowing my dad had tenure and that his job was a permanent placement. I think it gives professors more security, and loyalty to their college when they are taken on permanently. It also gives professors who have not made tenure something to strive for.

• Yes it is

Maybe it is a good idea to have academic tenures so as to make the work environment more fair for the senior professors or lecturers. It may result in a better work performance from them and thus a better education for the students. Academic tenure should not be a bad thing.

• No, it promotes stagnation.

No, I do not believe academic tenure is a good thing for colleges. Academic tenure brings with it a certain amount of comfort and safety. Once tenure has been achieved, there is a tendency to rest on one's laurels. I believe tenure does not promote new ideas or new ways of doing things.

• No It's Not

I do not believe academic tenure is a good thing for colleges. I believe academia has experienced many bad things as a result of the tenure process and it should be eliminated. I believe it undermines a teachers ability to teach in the classroom and it often awards the wrong people for the wrong reasons.