Is adolescence an artificial extension of childhood?

Asked by: Fanny
  • Maybe... Its just an extension.

We just continue to grow...Agreed. But basically your continuing life in a state where u don't know if things are wrong or right. Other reasons mentioned above. Im too lazy to right more. Im only 13 so i dont have lots of experience and im a guy in 8th grade

• Of course adolescence is a continuation of childhood

The idea that childhood continues is a ridiculous idea, that is only perpetuated by society. For example any person by the age of 18 can provide for themselves and others. However, society says that they can not. The only reason that one may worry about whether or not they are old enough for something is because society says that they are not. I would argue that because people are genetically pre-disposed (due to the previous 3000 or so years) to be on their own by the time they hit twenty: that if anything adolescence is un-natural.

• Yes... It is true.....

Adolescence is that period of once life when he or she has just ended the childhood life... It is just impossible for him or her to distinguish between these two until one is as capable as to understand what it actually is...;. So in my opinion it is the period of artificial childhood...

• No, Adolescence is Separate from Childhood

Adolescence is a different part of life, both biologically and socially. Biologically, it is the time when the human body develops into sexual maturity, as well as other related biological aspects. Socially, it is the time when an individual generally begins to take control and responsibility for their lives and well-being. It is a transitional stage between childhood and adulthood.

• Humans Take A Long Time To Mature

I do not believe adolescence is an artificial extension of childhood. I believe childhood is a very long process for humans which can range as far up into the early 20's for some people. I believe people fully mature at different ages, but usually after they've stopped worrying about being old enough to do something.

• No, it's very natural.

A teenager is not a child anymore in some ways. Technically he or she can sire or bear children, with all the attendant feelings and hormones. However, he or she is not quite adult enough to set up housekeeping yet, as our culture has set things up. So adolescence is a natural transition.